Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#108663 - 10/14/07 10:13 PM Re: watch out for the dumbing down of others [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
Please tell me that you didn't pull over and nap on the shoulder of the freeway! In addition to being illegal, over the years I worked over 30 fatal accidents where a vehicle stopped on the shoulder of I-5 got run over by another sleepy driver (usually a big rig). Hopefully you took the Calgrove off ramp and napped somewhere down on the Old Road...

OBG, has it become pretty standardized now that highway patrol approaches vehicles from the passenger side? Over the past couple years I've noticed east coast highway patrols no longer seem to go to the drivers side of the vehicle, instead going to the passenger side (even when they place their car far enough to the left to help block from getting hit). It's not just one or two states though, it seems like it's all over. I was just wondering since I've been spending a lot of time on the highway lately and it has caught my attention.

#108665 - 10/14/07 10:43 PM Re: watch out for the dumbing down of others [Re: Paul810]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
All I can speak for is CA, and my recent observations in WY. The CHP went to the right side approach probably 15-20 years ago (altho some dummies still walk up on the drivers side). They did that because we were having so many officers picked off by passing traffic while standing at the drivers door. In years past I have actually had my butt brushed by a passing car doing about 75. That might have something to do with my grey hair falling out. In WY I have seen officers do nothing but left side approaches, then go back to sit in their vehicle to take care of the paperwork. Not a good place to be sitting when someone rear ends your patrol vehicle. Not to mention your delayed response when the bad guys you are writing a ticket to decided to jump out and blow you away...

#108669 - 10/15/07 01:04 AM Re: watch out for the dumbing down of others [Re: samhain]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
Speaking of medication, Blast. How's the battle wound from the cat?

About four days after I went off the antibiotics a 3/4" strip of dead flesh came off my finger, but the skin underneath was a healthy pink. It seems the only long-term effect will be a scar that looks like someone put a cigarette out on my finger and I won't be able to afford a new canoe for a while.

To try and steer this back nearer to the original topic, here in Texas a law was passed stating you have to slow down 20mph under the posted speed limit if you are in a lane passing a cop or emergency worker parked on the side of the road. That being said, a motorcycle cop was picked off by a passing motorist the day after my buddy got shot. Houston is hard on cops. frown

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#108683 - 10/15/07 05:05 AM Re: watch out for the dumbing down of others [Re: Blast]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

OBG I got off onto the old road asap. In fact, history repeats itself! My grandfather used to point out a tree where gypsies parked their horsedrawn wagons because it was safe there from observation, wind and wild animals during the Depression. We woke up parked under that still surviving old tree!

#108703 - 10/15/07 02:30 PM Re: watch out for the dumbing down of others [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Good man! Having worked in the Newhall area for almost five years, the stories I could tell you...

#108710 - 10/15/07 03:57 PM Re: watch out for the dumbing down of others [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Stories? I was out on the 5 when the Newhall quake hit.We were on a then popular C.B. radio t-hunt. Watching the freeway literally rippling like a shook blanket and bouncing my '66 Chrysler 300 ( rebuilt CHP H.D. suspension, twin magnum headers and mild spyder manifold on a 383 ) and then simply falling down ahead of us gave this then 16 y/o driver a good dose of religon. Instead of new rims ( those big Chryslers always popped the hubcaps off,) I bought a fire extinguisher,flashlight, blanket ( my mother thinking I had romantic uses for it)and a first aid kit.

#108715 - 10/15/07 04:12 PM Re: watch out for the dumbing down of others [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"...blanket ( my mother thinking I had romantic uses for it)..."

Good ole Chris: even in the early formative years, recognizing multi-purpose when he sees it! laugh

Sue

#108719 - 10/15/07 04:43 PM Re: watch out for the dumbing down of others [Re: Susan]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

"But mom! I need the condoms to store fresh water in...seriously!"

#108793 - 10/16/07 02:07 AM Re: watch out for the dumbing down of others [Re: Susan]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

When I was that age I used to carry a blanket in my car too, and with raging hormones, EVERY thougth I had re that blanket were romantic...

#108811 - 10/16/07 06:27 AM That littl voice [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
That little voice in my head is why I have 80 years mileage on a 49 year old body!!!

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.