Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#10860 - 11/26/02 06:44 AM spetznaz survival machete
Anonymous
Unregistered

I recently read the article "Lessons learned, so near yet so far" and was intrigued by the Spetznaz survival machete mentioned. I looked it up through the listed supplier link, and it seems to have many worthwhile features. I'm wondering if anyone owns or has seen one and would render an opinion as to the quality of construction and especially the quality of the steel. Hope someone knows

#10861 - 11/26/02 07:33 AM Re: spetznaz survival machete
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I certainly had a good look at this thing LOL. The steel is plain vanilla carbon with a horrid handle that will eventually break with any real use. The supplies are minimal. For the money you can acquire a decent folding military shovel, saw in a can, basic knife and have money left over to see Chuck Norris take one away from the latest ethnic bad guys ;O)

#10862 - 11/26/02 12:34 PM Re: spetznaz survival machete
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
When short on money while in high school I couldn't afford a good knife so I ended up getting a russian AK47 bayonet for $20 from US Calvary. It looked so cool on the picture. When I got it I almost cried (mind you I was 15). That thing even if looking solid, didn't have any feel to it, was hard and uncomfortable to use, steel never kept the edge and it looked like it was the lowest grade possible. During my first outing my hand hurt from bad handle and I think I have bent the blade about dozen of times. I was trying to use the build in wire cutter only to learn that American steel is stronger than russian one. At the end I do not belive in Russian supper products. They have a lot of problems, have no quality control and break easly. I got out and bought a SOG Gov't that I have until today.<br><br>Matt

#10863 - 11/26/02 12:52 PM Re: spetznaz survival machete
ratstr Offline
@

Loc: Dardanelles
Hi,<br><br>I think you have had an imitation ak bayonet or something like that. The ones I had some time with were really good ones. <br><br>regards,<br>Burak<br><br>

#10864 - 11/26/02 08:57 PM Re: spetznaz survival machete
zoltan Offline

Loc: Poland
I've once seen (and holded in my hand) an AK-47 bayonet and it didn't seem to be very low quality (however, I haven't tested it). I know that AK-47 have been produced in many countries and their quality varies - I think it's the same with accesories. The version I've seen was probably Polish, not Russian - AFAIK, most Polish military knives are made from high carbon steel (not the best choice in our climate IMHO) and have medium quality (after all, how often an ordinary soldier really uses his bayonet?). <br><br>It's possible that your bayonet was not a real military issue, but rather a civilian copy. Do not underestimate the Russian industry - they are able to make really good products (especially for the army). They can also make very cheap products. Not at the same time. I have some experience with Russian optics (binoculars, monoculars, etc.) and I found out that one can buy all the range of products, from the cheap junk to really decent quality ones. I really advise to test before buying.<br><br>And, about that "spetznaz survival machete" - I doubt it's really the same one as Spetznaz use - it's quite posibble that they don't even use such thing at all. Probably someone just invented the name to sell more of them.

#10865 - 11/27/02 05:17 AM Re: spetznaz survival machete
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

It is indeed Soviet/Russian issue. The design was created to meet the extremely diverse environments aircrew and special forces might encounter. Very few services can boast of perfect or trouble free equipment. There are actually some very interesting knives beginning to come out of Russia. Hand made knives from the Gulag system are highly collectable, and a line similar to scandinavian knives is being imported.

#10866 - 11/27/02 06:24 AM Re: spetznaz survival machete
Anonymous
Unregistered

Anybody want to buy a LADA 4x4. Found floating on a ice flow. Great looking little vehicle but what a pc. of crap mechanically.<br><br>Mariner

#10867 - 11/27/02 06:35 AM Re: spetznaz survival machete
ratstr Offline
@

Loc: Dardanelles
LOL smile a floating Lada. I thought only the Land Rover made floating 4x4s.<br><br>We have lots of Lada Nivas around here, I'd driven some for a while. Cheap in price, disgusting worksmanship but does well in snow and mud. <br><br>Burak<br>Istanbul

#10868 - 11/27/02 08:13 PM Re: spetznaz survival machete
Anonymous
Unregistered

Lada eh, I think they've stopped making anymore vehicles. They have such a bad reputation over here.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.