The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#101472 - 08/03/07 04:16 PM Re: Bridge Collapse Observations [Re: JimJr]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
I note that the news reports are saying that there are over 670 bridges in the US with this "under-deck truss system". Their implication is that someone should demand that they all be closed for inspection because it may be a flawed design. My reaction is that this appears to be the only one of 670 to fail this way, so don't assume that design is the problem. Inspect, by all means (Ohio does so annually), but don't reach conclusions before you have the data.

#101485 - 08/03/07 05:37 PM Re: Bridge Collapse Observations [Re: Frank2135]
JimJr Offline

Loc: Central Mississippi
There is a huge problem right now with people talking out of the sides of their heads (or some other part of their anatomy) who don't have a clue what they're their talking about.

On Fox News, they have a list of "Worst Recent U.S. Bridge Disasters". Of the listed bridge collapses, The Schoharie Creek Bridge in NY and the Hatchie River Bridge in TN both collapsed due to scour (undermining) during historic flooding, the Sunshine Skyway Bridge in FL (not W. Va as noted) and the I-40 bridge in eastern OK, were both struck by shipping traffic, the Silver Bridge in OH collapsed due to a structural failure and I don't know about the Zuber Creek Culvert, but experience with culverts would lead me to believe that it was eroded out during severe flooding.

To have only 2 structural collapses with major loss of live in 40 years, considering the number of bridges and amount of road travel we have here in the U.S., is actually quite remarkably low.

#101509 - 08/03/07 09:42 PM Re: Bridge Collapse Observations [Re: wildman800]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I-35 Bridge Collapse

Some general notes about bridges.

Bridge failure is always due to the supporting structure unable to support the loading forces applied to the structure.

Bridges have always had designed in to them a safety factor. For example a reasonable estimate of the total traffic loading will be estimated i.e 200 tonnes and a safety factor of 50% will mean that the bridge will support 300 tonnes before collapsing.

Cheap and poorly designed bridges have lower safety factors than more expensive better designed bridges.

The maximum load a bridge can withstand is a function of the load in which an individual tie or strut can support.

Bridges made from steel have very well known load failure characteristics. Tie and struts manufactured from steel will deform, buckle or lengthen before failure. The paint work will show cracking and blistering on the structural strut, tie members or jointing sections. Over a short period of time this will show up as localised surface corrosion.

Joints using riveted construction can give rise to crack initiation. This problem is well understood and any design will/should compensate for this problem together with proper bridge maintenance and inspection.

Creep failure in steel bridging structures is generally attributed to poor quality or cheap steel specified in the design or used in the construction phase. Not really an issue in well designed steel bridge structures.

Bridge maintenance is crucial. Inspection to ensure there is no corrosion of joints and structural members is important. Although generally in a steel bridge structure this generally means just keeping the bridge in a good painted condition and ensuring there are no loose or missing rivets and the joints of the ties or strut members. Inspection will be looking for cracked paint and localised corrosion.

The design load of bridges with respect to bridges carrying road traffic are generally designed for symmetric loading. There is a design assumption that a road traffic bridge, which is designed to carry say 200 tonnes with a 50% safety factor will have the loading distributed evenly along its length. The safety factor should/will compensate for uneven or asymmetric load distributions.

Some personal observations relating to the I-35 bridge.

The bridge is of an unusual design. The width of the upper road section is unusually wide (to accommodate 8 lane traffic) in comparison to the distance between the supporting concrete columns at each end of the steel arch. The steel arch is unusually shallow and is constructed from what looks like very small section I steel beams.
The bridge supported steel construction is very cheaply constructed being constructed from mostly I section steel in a conventional lattice steel beam riveted jointed construction.
There appears to be some evidence of some corrosion at the ends of the steel arches where they terminate at the supporting concrete pillars.

Bridge failure I suspect would have been due to the following causes.

The bridge was overall a poor design and cheaply constructed with a small safety factor (hence the 4 out 9 mark) but has stood without failure for 40 years.

Corrosion of the riveted joint section above the concrete pillars indicates possible recent loads in which the proof stress of the strut members of the arch above the concrete supporting pillars may have been exceeded, leading to permanent structural deformation. The inspection and maintenance program should have picked this up though and the bridge should then have been declared unsafe. The safety factor of the bridge would have now become critical and the bridge management should have either closed the bridge or reduced the bridge loading by only having single file road traffic and ensuring no heavy vehicles such as articulated lorries be allowed on to the bridge.

Recent resurfacing work I suspect is the main factor relating to the bridges collapse or more precisely the management of the resurfacing work being carried out. The critical factor in the I-35 bridge collapse is now the loading of the bridge with a poor reduced safety factor. The thickness of the newly laid road surface concrete (wet concrete being heavier than set concrete and if an extra 1 or 2 inches more concrete could easily have amounted to a huge increase in the bridge loading thereby reducing the safety factor even more), the type of concrete (high strength lightweight concrete which is more expensive may have been specified in the original specification but normal concrete may have been used this time around during the recent maintenance road surface construction).

This combined with today’s heavier road vehicles being distributed asymmetrically on one side of the bridge (the width of the road section being much wider than the support would have lead to a high degree of torsional forces being placed on the bridge structure for which I suspect it was not designed, at least not asymmetrically) would have led to the main I beam arch strut above the concrete pillar failing due to the twisting forces or the heads of the rivets popping due to the exceptional sideways forces at the strut end above the concrete pillar on the same side of the above traffic. (Tubular steel sections can resist torsional forces much more readily than I beams)

There really is no mystery to bridge failures. There is just poor design, poor maintenance, poor materials selection, but ultimately just poor management.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (08/03/07 11:02 PM)

#101521 - 08/03/07 11:57 PM Re: Bridge Collapse Observations [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

i went over that bridge several times a week..the last time
was a week or so ago with my wife to the University...
as we crawled across in the traffic i was struck by all
the cement barriers that were put down to make new lanes.
thats alot of weight--plus heavy duty trucks and cement
mixers parked on the bridge..on the way home we took that
other bridge you may have seen with the people standing
watching, not because i thought it might fall but the hold
up as traffic went down to only a couple lanes..
in the end i think they will find it was all the extra
weight standing on the bridge that sheared the bolts on the
piers..my daughter who is with us in the SW USA thinks that
a large jackhammer that was in use set up some sort of vibes
that amplifed thru the truss work and sheared the bolts..

#101528 - 08/04/07 12:09 AM Re: Bridge Collapse Observations [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
cfraser Offline

Loc: Toronto area, Ontario, Canada
I read somewhere some time ago that one bridge collapses every day in the U.S. Obviously there are a lot of bridges, and unless it's one near you, a major one, or somebody was killed, you wouldn't hear much about it. You would hardly expect little country bridges to be well maintained, but I guess somebody inspects them??

What made me remember that little factoid was hearing on the radio today that a fear of going over bridges is among the "top ten phobias" in the U.S. I guess it's like flying, lots of people afraid of it but it's pretty safe compared to other methods of travelling. And like bridges, when something does go wrong, usually you're screwed.

In this case I think it's pretty amazing that so few people were trapped in cars in the water. Or perhaps many were vacationers and nobody would really know they're missing yet??

#101540 - 08/04/07 02:26 AM Re: Bridge Collapse Observations [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Welcome Newguy!

I am not an engineer (heck, I barely passed high school math long ago), but I do know that many states have increased the maximum weight allowed on big rigs by thousands of pounds, and the traffic volume has increased GREATLY (in many cases well over triple) since many of the bridges in this country were constructed (which was quite a few years ago in the case of most of them). I can only wonder if this might have a bearing on the collapse of any bridge? And we must always keep in mind that ALL highways, bridges, etc, are built by the LOWEST BIDDER...

#108522 - 10/12/07 11:01 PM Re: Bridge Collapse Observations [Re: wildman800]
ScottRezaLogan Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pttsbg SWestern Pa USA N-Amer....
I think I remember hearing Way Back, -on the News, -about a Bridge Collapsing, (with Traffic on it, I think), -back in or around '69 over the Ohio River, -also in the State of Ohio. Can anyone possibly Fill me in on this? Was this Cincinnati? Or elsewhere in Southern Ohio?

#108558 - 10/13/07 03:51 AM Re: Bridge Collapse Observations [Re: ScottRezaLogan]
Seeker890 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Central Ohio
12/15/1967, Silver Bridge in Gallipolis, Ohio. Bridge was crowded with holiday shoppers & rush hour traffic.

#108574 - 10/13/07 03:58 PM Re: Bridge Collapse Observations [Re: Seeker890]
DFW Offline
Journeyman

Hmmmmm....I lived in Ohio then, and not all that far from Gallipolis, but I don't remember that.

I DO think about collapse everytime I make the KY-OH crossing on the Brent Spence bridge (maybe they call it something else now) in Cincinnati, a double-decker (!) bridge, in heavy use for many decades now.

#108589 - 10/14/07 12:10 AM Re: Bridge Collapse Observations [Re: DFW]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"On December 15, 1967, the Silver Bridge collapsed while it was choked with rush hour traffic, resulting in the deaths of 46 people. Investigation of the wreckage pointed to the cause of the collapse being the failure of a single eye-bar in a suspension chain, due to a small defect only 0.1 inches (2.54 mm) deep."

More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Bridge

Sue

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 238 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.