The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#104323 - 09/02/07 04:07 PM My large/BOB FAK
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
First of all, sorry for the bad pics, but my camera's steady-shot didn't work.. crazy

This is a FAK that has a lot of uses. First of all, it holds the meds for our home FAK. Second, this FAK is grabbed with the BOB if we have to bug out. Third, if we go somewhere with the family (4 persons) we usually take this kit along in the car. For hiking, I have a seperate FAK. Please keep in mind that in The Netherlands, we don't have acces to antibiotic-ointment without prescription and that we don't use that stuff in first-aid..

The pouch is from a commercial FAK (Travelsafe Explorer) and waterproof.

It is devided into 2 seperate pouches. The left one is for trauma, the right one for medications and wound-care. In the middle is a 60ml syringe with a butterfly-catheter for wound irrigation.

The trauma-section:

- ABD-pad
- Betadine ointment pad 10x10cm.
- 3 vaseline dressing 7.5x5cm.
- 1 roll medical tape
- ACE bandage
- Triangulair bandage
- Bandage 10cmx4m
- Bandage 6cmx4m'
- Quick-dressing no2
- Ziplock quart
- 2 pairs of nitrile gloves
- Hemocut (bandage-scissors/hemostat)
- Suction cups to use with the syringe
- Tongue depressor
- flat-pack of duct-tape 1m
- 6 gauze pads 7.5x5cm (need more)
- Quick-dressing no1

The meds and wound-care section:

- Steri-strip set
- Small bottle of purrell
- Betadine 10ml
- CPR-mask
- Norit (activated charcoal) 50tabs
- 6 Rennie (antacid)
- 8 Asperin
- 4 Ibuprofen
- 10 Acethaminophen
- 20 Immodium
- 7 Cetirizine (Benedryl)
- Water-jel 60ml
- First-Aid instructions
- Dextro energy tabs
- Assortiment of bandages( small, large, waterproof,fingertip,etc.)
- safety razor
- Illuminated tweezers+ extra batteries in container with small mirror in it.
- #22 scalpel-blade
- Click-Away (itch-relief on insect-stings)
- Pair of tick-tweezers
- Electronic thermometer
- 6 alcohol prep-pads
- 3 blister-needles

The main thing I would like to get in there is a SAM-splint.. All comments and suggestions are welcome!

#104324 - 09/02/07 04:19 PM Re: My large/BOB FAK [Re: JIM]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
Maybe we should start an ETS "Send JIM to med school" scholarship fund?

Jim,
Nice FAK!

#104326 - 09/02/07 04:23 PM Re: My large/BOB FAK [Re: JIM]
Katie Offline
Journeyman

I would consider throwing in some sort of blister remedy -- moleskin, spyroflex, Compeed/Band-Aid Blister Block (my personal favorite). It seems like that's the most common reason I dive into the first aid kit. Some other things to consider: cortisone cream, EMT shears, emergency dental kit to replace a lost filling/crown (if anyone in your family has dental work), cough drops/sore throat lozenges, cold medicine, instant cold pack, eye drops/eye wash.

#104327 - 09/02/07 04:30 PM Re: My large/BOB FAK [Re: Katie]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
Originally Posted By: Katie
I would consider throwing in some sort of blister remedy -- moleskin, spyroflex, Compeed/Band-Aid Blister Block (my personal favorite). It seems like that's the most common reason I dive into the first aid kit.

Very true. Blisters are the #1 reason people quit a backpacking trip. Bring a variety of blister aids; some work better than others in different situations.

#104330 - 09/02/07 04:49 PM Re: My large/BOB FAK [Re: JIM]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Looks like a good FAK to me. Just a few quibbles:
1. wouldn't hurt to pack a small pencil/pen and paper for medical notes. In the US anyway, you are better off documenting any significant medical procedures - if you are hours away from other help, keeping notes on treatment can only help responders when they get to your victim. Plus you can send your notes with a patient if you have to stay behind. I used to rely on my rite-as-rain pad, but have sometimes found it inconveniently left in the wrong jacket when I actually need it.
2. scalpel blade - I once had this in my kit, its gone now, replaced by other blades if needed. Actually you don't want me opening up any wounds in the first place, which is why its no longer available to me. No trailside thoracotomies for me...
3. assortement of bandaids etc. - I've dropped the assortment for a ready supply of what are called knuckle bandages. Cloth-type backing, and flexible adherent wings, good for knuckles but generally very all-purpose. I've hiked out many miles with one of these covering a hot spot. Basically I got tired of looking for the right size bandaid, the knuckle works on them all.
4. smaller dressings - I've also pretty much settled on stocking larger ABD pads, cut down to size if necessary, and dropping the smaller bandage sizes. First I would rather have a few large ABDs for serious traumas, than a bunch of smaller bandages that are inadequate.
5. more tape - two 10 yd rolls is good, three is better. I like athletic tape (the kind you roll around your limbs etc for some added support) in lieu of the waterproof tape. It comes in much longer rolls, and is made for really sweaty athletes so it seems to hold on bandages (and come away from skin) just fine. Cost seems the same, though you can buy in bulk and save.
6. That's alot of Immodium (20 caps).:-)

#104335 - 09/02/07 05:55 PM Re: My large/BOB FAK [Re: Katie]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I would consider throwing in some sort of blister remedy -- moleskin, spyroflex, Compeed/Band-Aid Blister Block (my personal favorite). It seems like that's the most common reason I dive into the first aid kit. Some other things to consider: cortisone cream, EMT shears, emergency dental kit to replace a lost filling/crown (if anyone in your family has dental work), cough drops/sore throat lozenges, cold medicine, instant cold pack, eye drops/eye wash.

Good ideas. Also, a 2nd Ace bandage (either a 2" or 3"), another triangle bandage (they're pretty small in real life). Some guaze bandages, either 2x2 or 3x3 inch. Also, for the steri-strips, some of the liquid we use to help them stick on. I forget the name, kind of brownish.... comes in little vials. It'll come to me....

#104336 - 09/02/07 05:57 PM Re: My large/BOB FAK [Re: MDinana]
Katie Offline
Journeyman

Tincture of Benzoin?

#104338 - 09/02/07 06:23 PM Re: My large/BOB FAK [Re: Katie]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
I made a list of your suggestions:

Moleskin= really go to get some

Cortisone cream= is on prescription in The Netherlands, so I can't get it. Same story as with antibiotic ointment..

EMT-sheers= If I had room, I'd add one, but I haven't in this kit. In my deddicated home-FAK I do have one. Actually a couple.

Dental kit= No idea where I could get one over here...

Cought-syrup/sweets= added some Vicks-throat sweets.

Instant cold pack. We have some reusable ones in the home fridge..but I don't have room for it.

- eye wash= I think water will do just fine in an emergency

- pen and paper= added some to the kit

- more tape= Even more? Have you ever used more than a 10 yard-roll in a day? No room.. frown

- the immodium= we have a family of 4 so that's 5 tabs per person. starting dose is 2 tabs and after that every 2 hrs 1 tab so I think It isn't to much.

As for the bandages and gauze: Maybe I need to see if we've got Kerlix over here?

-ACE and triangulair bandage: I don't think another ACE would fit, but I'll try to squeeze another triangulair bandage in there..

I think I'm going to need a larger bag... shocked Would this be something: http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/tatonka_emergency_bag/

BTW: MDinana, have you found the EMT-book?

#104354 - 09/02/07 10:31 PM Re: My large/BOB FAK [Re: Katie]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Tincture of Benzoin?

BINGO! Thanks. World's largest brain fart. Don't get it in a wound, it stings like crazy... so my patients have told me (oops). blush

And, yes, I've got the book. Just PM me the address you'd like it sent to!

Edited by MDinana (09/02/07 10:33 PM)

#104363 - 09/02/07 11:09 PM Re: My large/BOB FAK [Re: JIM]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Good kit. I'd add a button flashlight to the zipper pull, and a lighter (for sterilizing).

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Ratch, Jeanette_Isabelle), 322 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.