#108451 - 10/12/07 11:02 AM Re: My large/BOB FAK [Re: DFW]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
The new pics:

#108464 - 10/12/07 02:51 PM Re: My large/BOB FAK [Re: JIM]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Awesome looking kit Jim. Makes me realize just how badly lacking my own kit is.

The new bag looks much bigger than your old one. Is it? I always have a hard time adding stuff to mine because I pack it in a Pelican case to keep the contents dry and uncrushable...it's always a compromise as I have to lose one item to add another.

#108466 - 10/12/07 03:07 PM Re: My large/BOB FAK [Re: ]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

It is a bit larger yes, but the old Travel-safe pack opened into 2 seperate,small sections, so I couldn't nearly get all the stuff in there that I can now get into my new bag (Eagle Creek All-Aboard)

#108469 - 10/12/07 03:58 PM Re: My large/BOB FAK [Re: Lono]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Originally Posted By: Lono
I've dropped the assortment for a ready supply of what are called knuckle bandages. Cloth-type backing, and flexible adherent wings, good for knuckles but generally very all-purpose. I've hiked out many miles with one of these covering a hot spot. Basically I got tired of looking for the right size bandaid, the knuckle works on them all.

Good point. Here are some bandaid trics to illustrate the point:

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/firstaid/bandaids.htm

Frankie

#108474 - 10/12/07 04:35 PM Re: My large/BOB FAK [Re: JIM]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

I'm not very knowledgeable in first aid and doing a first aid and CPR training is still on my to-do list. but this kit just looks overkill to me. Many stressed the importance of blister care yet for hiking he has another dedicated kit. It looks like a kit for expedition for several weeks to me. If it's for bug-out emergency, why not keep adresses and phone numbers of area hospitals instead of trying to provide for everything like a dental kit.

I have some questions though.

Why nobody mentioned 3×4 non-stick pads (Telfa)? They are important for scratch types of wounds.

What's the difference between ACE bandage and 3M's Coban wrap and which one is better?

What are ABD pads and what about "kling wrap", what does kling mean?

Thank you
Frankie

#108484 - 10/12/07 06:19 PM Re: My large/BOB FAK [Re: Frankie]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Quote:
Why nobody mentioned 3×4 non-stick pads (Telfa)? They are important for scratch types of wounds.

I just use ordinairy gauze. Why? because in my experience, non-sticking pads DO stick to wounds most of the times. If I don't want a wound to stick to the dressing-material, I use Betadine-ointment gauze.

Quote:
What's the difference between ACE bandage and 3M's Coban wrap and which one is better?

Simple: Coban sticks to itself, ACE doesn't. Coban is also used before doing sport to prevent injuries. ACE is used mostly in First Aid. I haven't really found a difference in performance, but I just use ACE because they are more available to me.

Quote:
What are ABD pads and what about "kling wrap", what does kling mean?

ABD-pad's stand for ABDominal pads. There basically a gauze pad on steroids. (I use Exupad's, wich are somewhat bigger, but I still call them ABD's)

Kling wrap, is something like Kerlix. 'Kling' is a brand name, just like Kendall, Hartman, NOBA, Klinion, J&J etc.

I hope this answers your questions.

BTW: Nighthiker, I've looked for Kerlix over here. Isn't available. I however do have some PriMed gauze. wink

#108487 - 10/12/07 06:41 PM Re: My large/BOB FAK [Re: Frankie]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Quote:
I'm not very knowledgeable in first aid and doing a first aid and CPR training is still on my to-do list. but this kit just looks overkill to me. Many stressed the importance of blister care yet for hiking he has another dedicated kit. It looks like a kit for expedition for several weeks to me. If it's for bug-out emergency, why not keep adresses and phone numbers of area hospitals instead of trying to provide for everything like a dental kit.

This medical-kit (guess I shouldn't call it a FAK anymore) is ment both as a home-kit and as a bug-out medical-kit. Why the over-kill? Well because I have the equipment and know how to use it, because of the suggestions made on this forum and because you'll never know what you might need and if medical care is available..
However, the dental kit is included because my mother has very bad teeth and a little bit of emergency tooth-filling can make such a difference in a situation without proffessional medical/dental care available.

#108490 - 10/12/07 07:14 PM Re: My large/BOB FAK [Re: JIM]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi Jim,

Thats a great FAK and the dental kit is a great idea. Toothache is a much underated condition which can make a survival situation almost unbearable.

Have you thought about adding a couple of these to your FAK

available at http://ukkitmonster.com/product_info.php?cPath=91&products_id=309

#108521 - 10/12/07 11:01 PM Re: My large/BOB FAK [Re: JIM]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Thanks Jim for answering my questions. It helps.

I would have thought the contrary about ACE and Coban, that Coban is used mostly in first aid.

Frankie

#108551 - 10/13/07 03:09 AM Re: My large/BOB FAK [Re: JIM]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I only have one concern- that hook. Looks like it will be great for snagging on stuff. Other than that, for most people, it's overkill, but you aren't most people Jim. That would be like me looking over my brother-the-EMT's FAK and trying to find a hole. You're kit is assembled with Hippocrates in mind.

What is the size and weight?

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.