Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#108581 - 10/13/07 06:48 PM Re: GEAR: Navy Life Raft Survival Equipment [Re: Russ]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
bv
Originally Posted By: RAS
Nostalgia has its limits. I still have the Camillus slipjoint knife I was issued back in 1971, what a POS. I keep it only for nostagia, I would never consider it to be a serious tool. Besides not locking, the blade won't hold a sharp edge. I suppose it's okay as a scraping tool and the bottle opener works, but even the lowly Victorinox Swiss Army Knife Pioneer is a better knife for real use.

Being practical though, why include a knife in the kit at all. Every other sailor has a better folder they carry all the time.

Definitely standardize batteries, but why CR123A? Those are good for the high output Surefire tactical lights, especially the non-LED models. But for long life, that high output isn't the way to go. The polycarbonate plastic construction, LED's and AA (alkaline or lithium) batteries are ideal in a survival situation.

$.02

I have a Camillus and it will hold a sharp edge. That means sharp enough to shave the hairs off the back of my hand.

You have to completely remove and reprofile the original edge to do it, but it is doable.

I have also very lightly applied a punch to the rivet's. That stiffens up the action slightly. It now won't close on your fingers under normal use.

I E.D.C. it quite a lot in situations where carrying a locking blade is unwise/illegal.

#108585 - 10/13/07 07:53 PM Re: GEAR: Navy Life Raft Survival Equipment [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe

I E.D.C. it quite a lot in situations where carrying a locking blade is unwise/illegal.

Locking blades illegal? That's crazy!

#108601 - 10/14/07 02:54 AM Re: GEAR: Navy Life Raft Survival Equipment [Re: TomApple]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...Even cruise ships don't provide that level of coverage with lifeboats..."

Don't tell me that, we are going on a cruise next year! From my experience with our last cruise, the manditory lifeboat drill the first day mentions nothing about inflatables...

#108604 - 10/14/07 03:32 AM Re: GEAR: Navy Life Raft Survival Equipment [Re: TomApple]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

I have very little experience with lightsticks myself (I do know that you can activate one, punch a small hole in the thing, and write a glowing message on some handy surface {like the Sgts car, but you didn't hear that from me}), but apparently their package lists a four year shelf life...

#108605 - 10/14/07 03:53 AM Re: GEAR: Navy Life Raft Survival Equipment [Re: OldBaldGuy]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
I have very little experience with lightsticks myself (I do know that you can activate one, punch a small hole in the thing, and write a glowing message on some handy surface {like the Sgts car, but you didn't hear that from me})…

OBG, you are my new hero! ROFL laugh

#108607 - 10/14/07 03:59 AM Re: GEAR: Navy Life Raft Survival Equipment [Re: JCWohlschlag]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Rumor has it that the Sgt was not amused. But then they never have been well known for their sense of humor...

#108675 - 10/15/07 03:35 AM Re: GEAR: Navy Life Raft Survival Equipment [Re: ]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
That's England.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#111877 - 11/07/07 06:15 PM Re: Keep Us Up to Date on Final Decision [Re: aardwolfe]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

...or why not include a heat sheet with every life vest??

#111929 - 11/08/07 03:33 AM Re: Keep Us Up to Date on Final Decision [Re: teacher]
duckear Offline
Addict

Another vote for the AMK Heatsheet Bivvy to replace the mylar space blankets.

As a bag, it could keep survivors drier in a raft, or if too many survivors without enough room on the rafts, they can be handed over to survivors in the water to use as an anti-shark bag.

#111954 - 11/08/07 02:57 PM Re: Keep Us Up to Date on Final Decision [Re: duckear]
TomApple Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Suffolk, Va.
Originally Posted By: duckear
Another vote for the AMK Heatsheet Bivvy to replace the mylar space blankets.

I'm looking at replacing the space blankets with the large HeatSheet blankets and adding one or two Blizzard blankets for the worst cases.

We'll see how it all fits in the survival equipment bag.

Tom A.

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.