The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#108166 - 10/09/07 06:39 PM Re: Sigh [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Misanthrope Offline

Loc: Chicago burbs
More proof that Darwin was wrong....

I tip my hat to the ladies and gentlemen of the local SAR, but is there anyway they could have neutered the individuals before releasing them into the general populace again?

#108193 - 10/09/07 11:27 PM Re: Sigh [Re: Misanthrope]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
"Stupid is as stupid does"

Fortunately, such mistakes carry minor consequences. The outcome could've been a lot worse.

#108195 - 10/09/07 11:40 PM Re: Sigh [Re: Misanthrope]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Natural selection once again thwarted by the dedication of SAR.

Seriously, after much soul searching (13 years of taking care of people who are at times hell-bent on self-destruction) I've come to the conclusion that we survive as a species because we do take care of each other (even the idiots).

It's in our nature to go to the aid of another human being no matter how stupid s/he is.

As an animal, we're slow, weak, got no fur, no claws, no armor, nothing. This big magnificent brain of ours isn't worth a hill of beans one-on-one with a cave bear.

Now you factor in some buddies willing to stick with you through thick and thin and they're relatively intelligent, the cave bear's got problems.

I have to keep reminding myself that by taking care of the self-destructive idiots I'm perpetuating the very trait that enables us to survive as a species.

Some days it's easier than others, and some days I want to say the heck with it and stand aside and let them destroy themselves.

But every so often, one claws himself out of the hole he's made for himself and straightens his life out.

Maybe one of these dingbats that got lost will pull their heads out of their rear or their kids may think, "dad's a dufus and I'm not going to get stuck like that again", and work to become a preparedness master and teach others.

I know, I'm the token idealist here, but it's a dirty job and someone's gotta do it.

#108216 - 10/10/07 07:30 AM Re: Sigh [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
simplesimon Offline

mountain rescue in britain say with 9 out of 10 people who need rescuing it's because they had no lights.
simon

#108226 - 10/10/07 12:59 PM Re: Sigh [Re: simplesimon]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
mountain rescue in britain say with 9 out of 10 people who need rescuing it's because they had no lights.

A few years back a friend from London and I decided to head into the hills for an overnighter after he had once stated there were no Mountains in Scotland.

The further we drove north into Glen clova the more nervous he seemed to get. The idea was to walk half way up Jocks road in Glen Doll, make a detour via Loch Esk where we would camp overnight and then return to the car park via Glen Clova.

Jocks Road

Bachnagairn, at the top of Glen Clova showing the difference between Summer and Winter.

Some of my friends comments after a successful trip was how dark it became during the night. Something he was totally unaccustomed to. (During the summer months it doesn't get dark until 10-11pm and then gets light again around 4am. During the Winter months it gets dark around 4:30 pm and does not get light until 8:30am.)

A lot of inexperienced walkers get caught out simply because

a) they not do plan well ahead of time to complete there route whilst taking into account their navigational and physical abilities.

b) do not know the sunset time and that it can vary by so much during different times of the year.

c) actually do not realise that it gets so dark that they are not able to see their hands in front of their faces.

So common sense and how the urbanite views the machinations on how the world works can sometimes be at odds with each other when the urbanite is put into a different environment. It's just that urban living gives some kind of disconnect to the natural world. I don't think we should really be surprised.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (10/10/07 01:04 PM)

#108305 - 10/10/07 11:35 PM Re: Sigh [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
samhain Offline
Addict

Sweet Mother that place is gorgeous!!!

Wouldn't mind "getting lost" in that area (properly prepared of course).

#108390 - 10/11/07 07:32 PM Re: Sigh [Re: samhain]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

#108409 - 10/11/07 10:36 PM Re: Sigh [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
samhain Offline
Addict

shocked

Speechless.

Thanx for the pics.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.