Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#1075 - 07/26/01 08:14 PM How do you carry your daily gear?
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
Just out of curiousity, I'd like to know how you fine folks carry your daily gear. Be it belt pouch, shoulder bag, backpack, etc. I'm currently using an Eagle Creek Travel Bug that's working out nicely.<br><br>

#1076 - 07/26/01 11:44 PM Re: How do you carry your daily gear?
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

My two aluminum tins, one for supplies and another meds, ride in either shirt pockets, or ,as today in my riding chaps thigh pockets. My whistle,mirror and folder reside on a neck lanyard ( in California you can exceed maximum carry length,as a folder is not readily accessable). My riding vest and wool coat each have Game pockets in the back. Large garbage bags and appropriate topo maps live there, and additional basics, plus whatever I add in the standard pockets.My main kit is rather haphazardly organized in a tough,surplus Swedish rucksack. My sleeping bag is secured to it, and I have two one quart and one collapsable 5quart G.I. canteens always filled but rotated. One is in the car,one attached to the bag and one used daily. Im trying to "flesh out' sub kits for my many activities; one for horseback use, another for sailplanes and another for marine use. <br><br>

#1077 - 07/27/01 03:43 PM Pants pockets
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't carry much on a daily basis, just what I can get comfortably in my pants pockets, which is a pocket knife and Photon II flashlight. I normally have access to other supplies stashed at home, in my car and in my office. In cooler weather when a jacket is worn, I keep a pocket kit in there for daily carry. <br><br>If I take a hike or go on a trip, I add a micro kit to my pants or a mini kit in a fanny pack with water and food.<br><br>

#1078 - 07/27/01 04:12 PM Re: Pants pockets
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
I gotta ask, what kind of pocket knife do you have?<br><br>Size of micro-kit, what's the container, and what's in it?<br><br>Size of mini-kit, what's the container, and what's in it?<br><br>Sorry for the questions, but this stuff fascinates me.<br><br>

#1079 - 07/27/01 08:06 PM Re: Pants pockets
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Myerchin marine folder with non serrated blade and marlinspike. Aside from marine use, it doubles as my emergency blade while horseback and in the car. The semi sheepsfoot blade is a safety point for emergency cutting of leather and heavy rope tack. in Autos, the marlinspike can shatter a windshield and the blade cut safety belts.My mini kit( work in progress) is a Swede tin from MajorSurplusNSurvival.Present contents include;Sparklite with 10 fuel tabs,23 water purification tablets in vial,small flat pealess whistle,small compass,gaff hookand heavy needle from incomplete milspec kit,photon II. I have a few crib sheets enclosed. Case is sealed with tape.A small handleless full tang blade is secured with duckstape to outside . Im adding aluminum tape to inside for mirror and S/S snare wire under the duck tape. My second tin is dedicated first aid. I did include a condom sandwiched between the soft bandaging supplies to keep it sealed.This unit is peened with a cross for quick I.D.<br><br>

#1080 - 07/27/01 11:28 PM Re: Pants pockets
Anonymous
Unregistered

Condoms seem to be very popular for emergency water carrying. They do seem to have some ++++, sealed package and small in size. I carry a small oven cooking bag. The kind that look like a zip lock without the seal. They are somewhat larger than a condom, but I have put one quart of water in one, tied it close and tossed it in the air. It landed intact. Their ruggedness might come in handy, and they should have multiple uses. They come four or five to a box and are relatively inexpensive. <br><br>Regards<br>Bruce Geissen<br>Texas <br><br>

#1081 - 07/30/01 03:01 PM Pants pockets equipment
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, I didn't specify which knife I carry daily because it will make most readers here laugh out lout. But since you asked, I'll admit that my daily cary knife is a Victorinox Swiss Army Classic silver alox. Yes, it's pretty whimpy. My preferences fall into the ultralight-ultracompact end of the spectrum. Also keep in mind that my "daily carry" activities include little more than being at home, in my car, in my office, or at the local grocery store, etc. I'm not a pilot, Coastguardsman, rescue worker, etc, like some other folks in this forum (I'm an accountant). I upgrade to a more-substantial Spyderco Delica locking folder when I venture into the woods.<br><br>I've posted here about my Micro Kit a while back, but I can cut and paste my contents list again easily enough. It is intended to be a tiny collection of just a few of the smallest essentials in a size comparable to a zippo lighter to easily ride in a front pants pocket or shirt pocket. There is no container except the vacuum bag it is sealed in. It's handy for those times I wouldn't want to carry anything bulkier; also just to keep in my pocket in case I get separated from my other gear.<br><br>vacuum packed together:<br> FIRE STARTING<br> lighter, Cricket pocket electronic (3/01)<br> rubber band for tinder, extra-thick<br> trick birthday candle <br> vacuum bag can also be used as tinder<br> SIGNALLING<br> Acme Tornado Whistle (2/01)<br> retro-reflective tape on whistle<br> NAVIGATION<br> compass, 15mm button with reflective tape on bottom (11/00), works in package<br> MEDICAL<br> 2 medicated band-aids (4/01), 3M Nexcare<br> (needle from tools group)<br> TOOLS<br> razor blade, single-edge (1/01)<br> sharp needle<br> paper clip to reclose package after opening, or to provide wire for improvising<br> FOOD<br> 2 fish hooks<br> 12 lb monofilament line <br> Trilene Knot Diagram<br><br>As for the other kit I mentioned, the "mini-kit", it is just my version of what Doug describes on this website as his "small personal survival kit." I meant to use that terminology. I could go into details about how mine differs, but Doug's is a better example of an ideal kit and I don't have anything useful to add to what he has provided on that topic. My differences are mostly the result of compromises I made to save money or time or effort based on what I had on-hand and wouldn't be relevant to anyone else. Mine would technically fit into a hip pocket, but it's a bit bulky for comfortable carry, so I usually carry it in a fanny pack at times I would be wearing a fanny pack anyway (typically on a hike). I carry it along with the water bottle I normally cary and my usual trail necessities such as snacks, map, compass, 2 medicated band-aids, pepper spray (for dogs), folding knife, maybe a cell phone. If cold weather is a possibility, an emergency tube shelter may go in also.<br><br>

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 413 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.