Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#108048 - 10/08/07 04:38 AM Swiss Army Nail Clippers
rasatter Offline

Has anyone tried to carry on one of these new "pocket clipper" tools from Swiss Army? I have bought the "TSA Approved" version, but given TSA subjectivity, I'm still concerned about losing it next week when I have my next flight. Was curious if anyone had been successful in carrying it on. There is no knife blade, but there is a mini-screwdriver and a pointed nail file which, although small, are still fairly sharp.

#108057 - 10/08/07 02:11 PM Re: Swiss Army Nail Clippers [Re: rasatter]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
WalMart now sells Vic Classics for less that $10 out the door...you could chance losing one....these get under the radar...

#108065 - 10/08/07 02:41 PM Re: Swiss Army Nail Clippers [Re: rasatter]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Or you could do what martinfocazio highly advocates, and bring along a prepaid USPS Priority mailer box in case the TSA throws a hissy about anything you’re carrying.

#113488 - 11/25/07 02:27 PM Re: Swiss Army Nail Clippers [Re: rasatter]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Just so you know the Swiss Army clipper you linked to has a knife, I bought one a few weeks ago.

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#113495 - 11/25/07 03:17 PM Re: Swiss Army Nail Clippers [Re: Shadow_oo00]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I find the SAK clippers laughable. I could carry two normal clippers and they'd take up less space...and they're easier to unfold and use!

#113501 - 11/25/07 04:23 PM Re: Swiss Army Nail Clippers [Re: rasatter]
TQS Offline

Loc: Humboldt County, CA
"from the parings of man's fingernails, devils make little caps for themselves."...

#113510 - 11/25/07 05:57 PM Re: Swiss Army Nail Clippers [Re: TQS]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

I don't remember asking anyones opinion, I was simply replying to the original post by rasatter, as my reply clearly indicates. As far as the clippers go I don't see anything laughable about them, they are made by Swiss Army which makes quality gear, the price is fair and unless your fingerless or a complete clutz every tool is easy to open and use. Just my opinion though.

#113543 - 11/25/07 10:34 PM Re: Swiss Army Nail Clippers [Re: Shadow_oo00]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I'm just saying that there isn't anything wrong with the tried and true nail clipper design...if it aint broke don't fix it.

And PS. Swiss Army isn't a company. They're made my Wenger.

#113545 - 11/25/07 10:41 PM Re: Swiss Army Nail Clippers [Re: ]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

"And PS. Swiss Army isn't a company. They're made my Wenger."

That just made all the difference in the world. Man I have to do more research before I post.......lol J/K

Hows this?

The VICTORINOX "Swiss Army Knife" is over100 Years Old. This useful pocket MultiTool was legally registered on June 12, 1897. Over 34,000 of these pocket tools with the distinctive Swiss cross leave the factory in central Switzerland each day.

Ninety per cent are for export to over 100 different countries and serve as ambassadors for Switzerland.

Carl Elsener, the company founder, wanted to create work in sparsely industrialized central Switzerland and counter the emigration spawned by unemployment. To go from hand-crafting to industrial production was at the time adventurous and required enormous determination. Today, this family business in Schwyz provides 950 jobs.

After the soldier's knife, which every recruit receives upon entering the army, Carl Elsener developed a new, elegant and light weight pocket knife, with six practical tools. He called this new model the "Officers and Sports Knife".

After an unparalleled success story around the world, the VICTORINOX "Swiss Army Knife" is even orbiting the earth as part of the standard equipment of the Space Shuttle Crew. The knife has also been successfully proven on expeditions: in the arctic ice of the North Pole; on the highest peak on earth, Mount Everest; in the tropical rain forests of the Amazon, and elsewhere. Time and again, it has been a life saver in situations of extreme danger and great need. The New York Museum of Modern Art and the State Museum for Applied Art in Munich have selected it for their collection of excellence in design, and, since Lyndon B. Johnson, US presidents present guests with VICTORINOX pocket knives.

Two companies produce the Swiss Army Knife: Victorinox and Wenger. These two were awarded contracts to supply knives to the Swiss army. Victorinox knives are known as The Original Swiss Army Knife while Wenger versions are identified as The Genuine Swiss Army Knife.

In 1891, Victorinox delivered its first batch of pocket knives to the Swiss army. Two years after, Wenger followed suit. In those days, the Swiss army had just syatyed using a new rifle that can be dismantled with the use of a screwdriver. If you're a soldier, and you have mortars and gunfire pounding at you from all sides, a screwdriver is the last thing you would ever lug around with you in battlefields and on missions. A pocket knife, on the other hand, is an object that will come in handy to you, not just to cut ropes and clothes, but also to maim and kill should you run out of ammunition. So, why not incorporate screwdrivers into pocket knives? And while you're at it, why not throw in a can opener and a reamer for good measure? This was precisely what Swiss Army Knife manufacturers did, and that year, the Swiss Army Knife that we know today was born.

Today, the "Officers' Knife" is available in over 100 different models. Each knife must undergo seamless quality controls before being released for sale.

PS: The company name Carl Elsener used when he started making the knives was called the Swiss Cutlery Guild.

Edited by Shadow_oo00 (11/25/07 10:57 PM)

#113558 - 11/25/07 11:40 PM Re: Swiss Army Nail Clippers [Re: Shadow_oo00]
TQS Offline

Loc: Humboldt County, CA
Hey! That's neat. I oughta' go get me one so I can make fingernail parings out of my next survival situation. Am I equipped to survive? You better believe it.
"Keep the mind occupied", rule #1 right? What better way to stay calm than by cleaning the dirt out from under those nails. You're right, nothing laughable about fingernail hygiene.. Very important! An important piece of "gear". I'm glad we're all on topic on this one.

Edited by TQS (11/25/07 11:42 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.