Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#108014 - 10/07/07 07:18 PM Mass shooting in Wisconsin
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

There are reports of another major shooting incident in Crandon, Wisconsin; Apparently the town has been locked down with little information being released since the shootings started earlier this morning. The suspect is believed to be a law enforcement officer. All the victims are believed to be children/teenagers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7032971.stm

Story is on CNN at

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/US/10/07/wisconsin.shooting/index.html#cnnSTCText

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (10/07/07 07:25 PM)

#108027 - 10/08/07 01:50 AM Re: Mass shooting in Wisconsin [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
First, you've got a problem with your statement. "[A]nother major shooting incident in Crandon, Wisconsin" makes it sound like this something that has happened before possibly with some frequency. To the best of my knowledge, this is the first time Crandon Wisconsin has made international, or even national, news for a while.

It was a domestic issue. More than that, I won't speculate- we don't even know if killed himself or his fellow officers were placed in a situation where they had to fire on him. Not enough data yet. *shrugs* Stuff like this happens every day in every country on the planet. It is sad that happens at all, but the disgrace is that the only reasons this is making news is becuase (a) the freak in question was a cop, and (b) the US is heading into election season.

Otherwise, it would just be another domestic violence incident that escalated and in the process included others, and it would only be local news. I'd say out of respect for the dead, and the officers of Crandon and the surrounding country, it should have stayed that way.

Edited by ironraven (10/08/07 02:26 AM)
Edit Reason: clarification of meaning with a few commas- thanks OBG

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#108029 - 10/08/07 02:00 AM Re: Mass shooting in Wisconsin [Re: ironraven]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...the only reason this is making news is becuase the freak in question was a cop and the US is heading into election season..."

I am kind of dense sometimes, but what could this possibly have to do withan election season???

#108031 - 10/08/07 02:05 AM Re: Mass shooting in Wisconsin [Re: OldBaldGuy]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

I'll send you a PM.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#108033 - 10/08/07 02:23 AM Re: Mass shooting in Wisconsin [Re: ironraven]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

PM answered, with another question...

#108036 - 10/08/07 02:28 AM Re: Mass shooting in Wisconsin [Re: OldBaldGuy]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Does the edit make it make more sense?

For everyone: While risking putting my head in the politics bear trap, that it was a cop or that it is an election season makes it more likely for what should be a local matter into a national one. That it is both makes it a given that this will grabbed by the national media.

#108040 - 10/08/07 02:46 AM Re: Mass shooting in Wisconsin [Re: ironraven]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

I still contend that a cop going postal and killing six would be national news anytime...

#108043 - 10/08/07 03:17 AM Re: Mass shooting in Wisconsin [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
You're probably right, but that doesn't mean it should necessarily be "national" news. Most major news networks have an agenda on the table, in my opinion, and their inattention to what's right and what's wrong shows in the quality of people they hire and in what they choose to feed us as news.

I also agree that going in to an election year has everything to do with the way the news is reported, even when the issue seems to have nothing to do with "politics". I can't see a connection in this case, but crime, weather, adultry, the cost of gasoline (and milk), and a million other things are going to be argued about soon enough.....the media knows it has more power in suggestion and in the way they frame their news stories than any politician will ever have.

#108044 - 10/08/07 03:25 AM Re: Mass shooting in Wisconsin [Re: Stretch]
KevinB Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Stretch
You're probably right, but that doesn't mean it should necessarily be "national" news.

Someone gunning down 6 teenagers is going to be national news. Why would it not be? It's a major tragedy. The fact that the shooter was a policeman certainly adds impact to the story. Seeing a media conspiracy in the reporting of the story is a bit of a stretch.

Kevin B.

#108049 - 10/08/07 05:12 AM Re: Mass shooting in Wisconsin [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
CentralOklahoma Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
OKAY. So how can you become a "Police Officer" or "Deputy" at age 20????

In all the states that I have ever heard of you have to be atleast 21 years old to even apply, unless you are a detention deputy at some county sherrifs office. Or a dispatcher.

Looks like a good cop hunted that bad apple down and took care of business.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.