Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#105420 - 09/12/07 03:47 PM Re: Reputation of being "equipped" [Re: Ors]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
Originally Posted By: Ors
Originally Posted By: RayW
As in "Hi my name is Ray and i have a Tool problem".

There are pills for that. grin

Don't know if there is a pill that will fix me or not, but having a tool problem is contagious. A couple of my married friends have said that after the wife found out about some new knife, flashlight, or other tool of choice that they were warned about spending to much time around me.

#105422 - 09/12/07 04:02 PM Re: Reputation of being "equipped" [Re: RayW]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
The answer to folks becoming too reliant on your preparations is call "tough love". Deny them now while it isn't an emergency so maybe they'll be better prepared when it really is an emergency and you aren't there. When they ask for something the first thing you should ask is, "Is this a life or death emergency?". If not then let them deal with it.

#105431 - 09/12/07 05:56 PM Re: Reputation of being "equipped" [Re: Ors]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
FLASH NEWS ***************
There is a foot and mouth outbreak 2 miles to the south of where I live.

Poor PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER..
R.I.P.

#105452 - 09/12/07 08:51 PM Re: Reputation of being "equipped" [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
RedANT Offline
Stranger

Loc: Colorado
While none of my neighbors know the true extent of my overall preparedness, they ALL know of my very extensive gun collection. It can be quite funny seeing the looks on their faces when I clean my collection outside. Based on the feedback and comments I get, I can pretty well gauge which ones are also probably prepared.

My philosophy is "the fewer that know my business, the better." Everyone has the oppotunity to prepare, but if they fail to do so, it's not my problem. I'll share my knowledge and resources with others who are like minded, but if others want to put their faith in government, they must live with that decision.

Edited by RedANT (09/13/07 01:14 AM)

#105463 - 09/12/07 11:10 PM Re: Reputation of being "equipped" [Re: Ors]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
The odd thing is that I do carry tampons (hey, I have a wife and a daughter and a pathological care-taker complex!!!)

Besides, the little OB ones are just the right size for packing a nosebleed that won't stop.

#107747 - 10/04/07 09:24 AM Re: Reputation of being "equipped" [Re: samhain]
NY RAT Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: brooklyn, ny
my family knows exactly what i do and why, and i keep encouraging them to do more also. sometimes it just comes down to giving them their own b.o.b starter kits.

but ive gained this type of rep slightly at work with a few people who have seen my sak or a few catalogs i buy my goodies from.
i try to give them little pushes in the right direction and have seen a few take to it slowly but atleast have more interest in learning about preparedness now.

when the student is ready the teacher appears, listen to what people say especially after a big disaster (tsunami,eathquake etc).

then play a little game with them of "well if this ever did happen here, what do you think you`d do to make it out ok?"
just hypothetical, pretend stuff to gauge their responses and willingness to learn to prepare.
with those who seem worthy you can expand the game into other scenarios and see if they begin to formulate better ideas and perhaps prepare a little (with some nudging suggested).

as far as the rest of those who REFUSE to learn or just rely on fema/odin/someone else to save their ass i have a tried and true phrase: "not all baby turtles are meant to make it to the ocean."

edit: as for the daleks....hide on higher levels, they cant climb stairs hehe.

Edited by NY RAT (10/04/07 09:25 AM)

#107959 - 10/06/07 11:41 PM Re: Reputation of being "equipped" [Re: Ors]
desertrat1 Offline

Loc: Kingman AZ
Although I'm not. a lot of my family and neighboors are mormon and preparedness is the norm, so nobody thinks twice about the contents of my garage or anything else.

#108030 - 10/08/07 02:03 AM Re: Reputation of being "equipped" [Re: desertrat1]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I used to have a Lt who said that when the food riots hit he will get rich selling maps to the mormons houses. The one mormon in our office was not amused...

#108032 - 10/08/07 02:10 AM Re: Reputation of being "equipped" [Re: OldBaldGuy]
DeathtoToasters Offline

Loc: Southern California
Well actually being a Mormon, I have to say that I am amused. I would love to show someone my gun and ammo collection while they are TRYING to see my food storage.

Should be a fun time!

I figure after the first couple of bodies out front, then a sign hanging above them saying "No Soliciting or Begging".

Most people should get the hint.

I came to the conclusion long ago that I have no problem protecting my life or those in my family by using deadly force. At first it scared me that I came to that conclusion and was comfortable with it, then I realized that it is either them or me.

Edited by DeathtoToasters (10/08/07 02:12 AM)

"All Hail the Power of Bauer"

"Only the Paranoid Survive" - Andy Grove

"Why is it called the American Dream? Because you have to be ASLEEP to believe it!" - George Carlin

#108034 - 10/08/07 02:25 AM Re: Reputation of being "equipped" [Re: DeathtoToasters]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...it is either them or me..."

Words to live by...

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.