Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#107954 - 10/06/07 07:19 PM Re: New AMK Kit ? S.O.L. [Re: ironraven]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: ironraven
You could make pretty much the same arguments against the PSP, Leigh. You moved yours to a tin because you were out of space and wanted to add more- by your own actions you are giving it the same criticism you are tossing at the SOL.

And honestly, if you've got signals and an IQ over room temperature, most people are going to get found in under 72 hours if someone knows you missing. They don't mean it is good for seven days, they recommend it as an accessory for an activity lasting from one to seven days, due to the logic that (a) you're probably going to only get lost once, and (b) if you were planning on being out for seven days you've got clothing, water and food. The only way to read it as "you can go out seven days with only this and be OK", which is basically what you are saying, requires either gross ignorance of the English language in modern usage, a significantly low IQ, or intentionally misreading the statement.

And I know it probably isn't the first or second option in your case. And you can't defend against either of those- there is no cure stupid. And it sounds like you expect them to create a kit that is exactly that.

Ironraven,
I'm quite happy to see the stupid get Darwined. The quicker, the better. Preferably before they have children.

And yes, your quite right, I could criticise the RSK. Or rather critique. However Doug has already done that. Making no pretense as to what is good or there because "It ain't a survival kit with out a fishing kit etc" and what needs to be added.

As it happens I originally moved my RSK because the original zip-lock case was getting rather foxed. As I had quite a lot of space left over, taking the opportunity to enhance it seemed like the sensible thing to do.

If I was procuring for, let say a Scout Group, and my budget was $25 per head then I would probably, out of all the kits on the market, go for the Solo.

Arguably the Solo is an "experts kit" rather than an occasional users kit. Because the Mirror, Heatsheet, compass and drybag are bits that an "expert" would want but are either difficult or expensive to obtain individually. Providing a price pointed kit that retails them at a better price than the total cost of individual purchasing is a good marketing move.

p.s. It just occured to me that you can boil water with this kit. Using the hotrock technique. You and I know this one. However for any readers that don't:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7843851220515707771

Edited by Leigh_Ratcliffe (10/06/07 07:37 PM)
Edit Reason: added p.s. and link.

#107974 - 10/07/07 04:20 AM Re: New AMK Kit ? S.O.L. [Re: Nicodemus]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I agree, MS is not fly by night. As a computer engineer, I will say that in my professional and personal opinion, they are a hack job. :P Bad example.

I think you just badly worded your note of caution. I have the same pause you do, when I know I'm dealing with a company that has questionable practices, products or track record. But when you've got a company you've got faith in, trust them, stop worrying. You'll have your hair longer.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#107976 - 10/07/07 05:10 AM Re: New AMK Kit ? S.O.L. [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Actually, I would argue that the PSP is more an "expert kit".

The SOL is the bare minimum- Joe Average, equipped with those components and the instructions included (assume for the sake of argument that they are the same as the ones in the PSP without the data on the Sparklite- I haven't seen them yet) will be able to start a fire (maybe a second one, but with three matches I'm not sure), get shelter up, and stay warm over night. And unless Joe has suffered an injury that prevents him from moving, he can usually self rescue the next morning when he can see things. If Joe is incapacitated by injury, there could be a big debate over a small mirror vs the big orange panel that is the heat sheet- I'd love to see it tested for visability- but he will have audible and visual signals. The same holds true of people who are well and truly stuck due to terrain- they can get signals out (one that doesn't require you being conscious, to), trust in your safety person to report you as overdue, and sit tight.

On the other hand, the extra gear in the PSP is less intuitive, and I've always placed shelter much higher up the list than water. Joe Average is "better equipped" in the quantitative sense, but if he can't get shelter up he is not as well equipped in the qualitative sense. Making a shelter that is worth anything without the help of sheeting takes some skill, or luck. So next week, we find Joe next to a PSP, with a foil cup, and no fire becuase he couldn't figure out the Sparklite and thus froze to death before morning when the searchers got close enough to hear the whistle and the sun was up to use the mirror. I think a more minimal, more intuitive kit is better for someone who isn't trained.

A similiar way of looking at it is this parallel- who is safer on the road, a teenager with a brand new drivers license and a 10 year old Ford, or a teenager with a brand new license and a Ferrari? The Ferrari will get you out of more trouble if you know how to use it; the Ford can't get you into as much trouble if you don't know how to use it. It isn't a matter of how capable the gear is, but a question of how capable the user is. We've all seen someone who isn't as skilled, handed better equipment, think the gear makes up for that lack of skill. I think that is were the SOL is aimed. I haven't seen PSPs at any physical stores yet; I wonder when I'll see the SOL?

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#107981 - 10/07/07 06:50 AM Re: New AMK Kit ? S.O.L. [Re: ironraven]
bigreddog Offline
Enthusiast

Iron Raven is correct i think - even the truly stupid should understand matches and wrapping a heatsheet around themselves, and thus avoid the classic danger of hypothermia.

I don't think it is optimum, but I can think of several friends die if left with a PSP on a cold wet hillside overnight, but who might survive with the SOL.

#107983 - 10/07/07 11:59 AM Re: New AMK Kit ? S.O.L. [Re: bigreddog]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
Does anyone know they they put a fishing-kit into the S.O.L.? Just for marketing purposes?

I would remove the fishing kit and add some mp-1 tabs and a quart-ziplock.

#107998 - 10/07/07 04:02 PM Re: New AMK Kit ? S.O.L. [Re: JIM]
SARbound Offline
Addict

Loc: Quebec City, Canada
Probably for marketing purposes. I remember when I was younger I always liked the idea of fishing with a survival kit. I never really got to experiment it and now that i'm a bit older, I understand that in a survival situation i'd rather use my time to collect firewood and make a comfy bed with branches and twigs than trying to catch fish.

It all depends. Depends on the situation, on the people. Some people seem to love the idea that they might have something to catch food in a survival situation; I assume the "entertaining" factor is what makes them happy.

I don't believe in fishing kits at all, sure they would provide some entertainment but if you ever get lost or injured for real, you won't care about fishing at all. You'll be on the lookout for people or aircraft. Which is why I believe that, in a real survival situation, a whistle and signal mirror are paramount.

I would rather use the space used by a crappy fishing kit for more Tinder-qwik pieces.

#108010 - 10/07/07 06:02 PM Re: New AMK Kit ? S.O.L. [Re: SARbound]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Bee, Ironraven.
Agree with you both.

I wonder if AMK are fishing for responses before actually releasing the product?

#108011 - 10/07/07 06:12 PM Re: New AMK Kit ? S.O.L. [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
SouthDakotan Offline
Stranger

I'm not too well versed on survival making surival kits, but I noticed that the SOL doesn't seem to include any survival instrucitons while the PSP does. Maybe the SOL is intuitive enough that it isn't needed, but I don't think it would have hurt to have included instrucitons.

#108022 - 10/08/07 01:37 AM Re: New AMK Kit ? S.O.L. [Re: JIM]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Jim, as I said elsewhere, I think a lot of people have the "if it doesn't have a fishing kit it can't be a survival kit- see, the manual says so" response, while holding up some military survival manual. It's marketing.

There may also be some of Doug's theory that a fishing kit will keep them out of trouble when they get bored. But also, if they get a fish hook out they are probably more likely to bring their camp closer if it turns into a multi-night affair. That will probably make spotting the Heatsheet from the air easier becuase you are less likely to have as overhead concealment along a river or pond. So there may also be some psychology involved.

#108023 - 10/08/07 01:39 AM Re: New AMK Kit ? S.O.L. [Re: SouthDakotan]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

The original PR made it sound like there would be instructions in this. If there aren't, I'd say it is an uncharacteristic oversight on AMK's part.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 454 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.