Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#108388 - 10/11/07 07:21 PM Re: School preparedness. [Re: climberslacker]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
A funny thing I just noticed:

Most of us keep emergency supplies at our home, but wat if I have to bug out? Ow, I just make a BOB.
But what if I'm not at home, but at work/school? Ow, I just make a office-kit/GHB.
But what if I can't get to my supplies at work... I just make another kit?
We could go on like this forever shocked

Just an observation

#108404 - 10/11/07 09:29 PM Re: School preparedness. [Re: JIM]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Which is why I keep my primary kit in my truck. It goes where I go. I EDC the usual (knives, flashlights, keys (w/ photon freedom) and I have a backpack with essentials that's either on my shoulder or very nearby, but that's geared more toward everyday use (gym bag, work bag, flight bag). The truck kit is primary -- 96 hour kit with food, water, flashlights, tools, tent, sleeping bag, blankets, solar battery charger. . . yada yada yada.

In Jace's case I'd EDC what I needed with the goal of having it available 1) for everyday use and 2) to help get to the primary kit in his locker.

#108446 - 10/12/07 04:44 AM Re: School preparedness. [Re: climberslacker]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
First, in the future please resize your images. Those would have sucked on broadband, and a number of us are restricted dial up due to our location. A 2.2MB image is just painful. PM if you aren't sure how to do that. (Also, fileup is a painfully bandwidth issues- photobucket or imageshack will give you better performance even on these beasts.) I'm not busting your chops, I'm just saying that grabbing those images hurt and they didn't have to.

Have you looked for the school's plan yet? My suggestion would be less water, and possibly pull some stuff out of the FAK. It is a great kit, I've build off several of them, but there is some unneeded bulk like the empty pill bottles if you haven't cracked it yet. (Bulk out = space found! And you probably already have a triangular bandage in there if it was packed to spec when you bought it.)

There are two reasons for me saying that. One is becuase your school has a stock of supplies. Being able to get off those is great, but as a student under their care you aren't able to leave so you might as well sit tight.

Two gallons of water is great, but it is a LOT of water for your pack. Is the Jansport your normal book bag? Maybe a new backpack that has side pockets, and two quart bottles in those, refilled as needed during the day would make sense. That would also let you escape the quandary you posted- how do you get to this if you locker isn't there any more. It turns it into an EDCed kit if you move some items to the FAK once you've cleaned it out some, it won't take up much space in your pack.

Other thoughts, now that I've seen it.
-Chemlights do suck. Maybe one. Maybe. Not an issue if in your locker, is a volume issue in a backpack.
-Craft stores and some hardware stores sell small zipper bags, 2x2. Yes, they look like paraphernalia when empty- that is why you pack a pair of nitriles into each one. Turns into a wrinkly, solid, blue rubbery thingy that most people can't ID, but it isn't drugs. :P But it also keeps them under control. Same thing for the earplugs that were mentioned, and your batteries.
-Better garabage bags. General around the house bags are usually pretty light, and often have been treated with something. Look for a leaf bag or a contractor's bag- it is bigger, doesn't take up any more room, is more robust and won't make you sick if you have to use it as a poncho.
-Again, go through the FAK. If it is the same one I use for my start, you've got some stuff you can pull to make room.

And if that was all that was in that backpack... I own one. You need to learn to pack. :P But if you can get it into your EDC pack, and stash the big water in your locker, you're good even if you can't get to the locker.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#108486 - 10/12/07 06:39 PM Re: School preparedness. [Re: ironraven]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

No the pack i carry is not my normal school bag, I keep it in my locker because our earthquake rally-point is off campus. I know that they do, but I do think they are better than nothing. Space is not an issue. My gloves are already in bags like that. I have black bags but also a few slightly stronger compactor bags. My dad is a contractor so that wont be a problem (contractor bags) My FAK is not spec. It is a repack and has enough. Again SPACE IS NOT AN ISSUE.

thanks

-Jace

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#108488 - 10/12/07 06:53 PM Re: School preparedness. [Re: climberslacker]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
Quote:
My FAK is not spec. It is a repack and has enough.

What's in it?

#108503 - 10/12/07 08:50 PM Re: School preparedness. [Re: JIM]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

And by enough I mean trauma dressings and band aids. It also has this stuff that you can put in water and have a burn victim consume. I don't know how it works.

Have you seen the arrow?

#108549 - 10/13/07 03:05 AM Re: School preparedness. [Re: climberslacker]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Jace, space is always an issue. So is weight. Your rally-point is off campus- what is the drill for getting there? Everyone make their own way and if you aren't there in 30 they mark you as overdue? Or everyone que up and make your way orderly to the rp under the supervision of your instructors?

Teacher's kid here- I'm going to bet it is the latter. Under those circumstances, can you get to your locker? Can you be sure your locker is even there any more? That is the point I was trying to make. I talked with a family friend in southern California today, his kids describe it as a "line up, get out, don't screw around" drill. Can't imagine kids in private schools have a different plan- no time to hit your locker unless you happen to be in just the right place.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#108649 - 10/14/07 07:08 PM Re: School preparedness. [Re: ironraven]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

Yes, It is line up, don't screw around, but during the drills I walk right past me locker so I think i could steal away. I could just catch-up,(or say i twisted my ankle.) The rally point is less than 100 yards off campus. We don't meet on the field because it is astro-turf and the whole thing will go up in flames whith like 1 spark.(exaggeration, Although I would like to test that.) Anyways, I will practice getting to my locker next time.

-Jace

Have you seen the arrow?

#108650 - 10/14/07 07:22 PM Re: School preparedness. [Re: climberslacker]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Don't think that you absolutely need to have the stuff in the locker; don't make the mistake of thinking the stuff in your locker a requirement. You're only required to keep breathing, everything else is frosting. Put together a small EDC that you carry always -- think small and discreet. If you can safely and quickly get to your locker go for it, but breathing is #1.

#108652 - 10/14/07 07:27 PM Re: School preparedness. [Re: climberslacker]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

Ya I always have this within 2 feet of me.

I Also have a altoids tin in my backpack with the following:

breathrite strip
gauze pad
can opener
antiseptic wipe
advil
pencil wrapped in floss
needle
band aid
piece of paper
saftey pins

Also in my back pack is a cpr face shield (yes I am certified).

I forgot to mention that I have about 3 feet of para cord that i keep around it and $1.50 in quarters secured to the top with ranger rubber bands. I also have a photon freedom(that i just got in the mail today.) That I plan on always having on my key-chain.

-Jace

Have you seen the arrow?

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 162 Guests and 43 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.