Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#107874 - 10/05/07 08:05 PM Firearm EDC Challenge
CBTENGR Offline

I have seen several other posts that talk about firearms in the EDC arena. I would like to pose several questions for those that do EDC or are considering firearms...

FIRST:

- Are you prepared to use deadly force to stop the life-threatening actions of another person? (statistics show that if you present a firearm and show weakness in using it, even in a life-threatening situation, it is more likely to be used against you)

- When was the last time you trained with your firearm? (not just going to the range but combat/real-world scenario training, most shootings occur within the 7m range, shooting ranges aren't setup for those distances)

- How often do you carry your firearm? (if it's not with you it can't help you, a lot of places won't let you carry firearms on their property)

- How do you carry your firearm? (LEO's are taught that the lethal range for a knife attack is 20 ft, anything less and you will be wounded before you can unholster and fire even one shot)

- Where do you keep your firearm when it's not being carried? (leaving it in the car while at work or shopping is an obvious liability unless you purchase a well made car safe)

- Is your family trained in firearm use/safety? (if you have a firearm in the home all adults should be trained in the use of the firearm and all children should be taught firearm safety, at no time should a child or irresponsible adult be left alone with a firearm or with easy access to a firearm, all firearms should be secured when not in use)

#107876 - 10/05/07 08:36 PM Re: Firearm EDC Challenge [Re: CBTENGR]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
All good points...

#107877 - 10/05/07 08:50 PM Re: Firearm EDC Challenge [Re: CBTENGR]
GrantC Offline

Originally Posted By: CBTENGR
(statistics show that if you present a firearm and show weakness in using it, even in a life-threatening situation, it is more likely to be used against you)

Show us the source of these "statistics", please.

-=[ Grant ]=-

#107880 - 10/05/07 09:39 PM Re: Firearm EDC Challenge [Re: CBTENGR]
Meline Offline

1. Yes I am. If I barell up on you, I am prepared to engage you.

2. Two weeks ago.

3. Not very often to be honest. However I would disagree with you to a certain extent, in most disasters people usually rally at their homes (or what's left of their homes) so you have a decent chance of getting to your weapon (even if you have to dig a little).

4. Chest slung on tac sling.

5. My weapon is secured at home.

6. Yes and No. My wife is, my children (ages 4 and 1) are not. Sammie my oldest has already been taught guns are VERY dangerous and should not be played with.

#107881 - 10/05/07 09:55 PM Re: Firearm EDC Challenge [Re: Meline]
CBTENGR Offline

#1- I would recommend reading "On Killing" by Col. Dave Grossman. I read this book after being involved in deadly force situations and it gives a great insite to the human experience in those situations. (Plus it helps if the DW is a VA Social Worker)

#2- I hope your training included move and shoot scenarios, those are the best ways to fight in a firearm encounter.

#3- For home defense, bug out purposes the best firearm is a 12 ga shotgun. It can be used for defense and food procurement. The shells are cheap.

#4- Would that type of carry be noticeable to others?

#5- Safes are necessary with children, I like the fingerprint safes the best.

#6- Here again training and firearms safety are very important at an early age...it is good to know you have begun that process....just make sure to continue it.

You seem to have the right mindset. Thanks for answering the post.

#107882 - 10/05/07 10:04 PM Re: Firearm EDC Challenge [Re: CBTENGR]
Meline Offline

I take it from you screen name you're a combat vet also.

Yes my training is more than just paper targets. I shoot pop-ups, CQB, convoy live fire, and night fire ranges.

I fully agree on teh 12 gauge.

Yes it would be, which is kind of the point.

I store my weapons in a locked weapons case at home.

And thanks.

#107883 - 10/05/07 10:14 PM Re: Firearm EDC Challenge [Re: CBTENGR]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: CBTENGR
. . . #3- For home defense, bug out purposes the best firearm is a 12 ga shotgun. It can be used for defense and food procurement. The shells are cheap. . . .
maybe they might be cheap, or they might be pricey due to the situation. One thing they will always be is heavy and bulky.

Making generalities about the "the best firearm" will generally get a lot of different answers. Mine is why are you bugging out and where are you bugging out to? Food can be procured with a .22LR rifle which makes less noise and the ammo is way lighter.

If I'm bugging out on foot, I don't want to be walking with a long arm visible, good way to get preemptively shot.

#107884 - 10/05/07 10:15 PM Re: Firearm EDC Challenge [Re: Meline]
CBTENGR Offline

I take it from your reply you are another combat brother (CBTENGR stands for combat engineer, although I am out now). The majority of my handgun training came from LE work. I learned a lot in the military and had the opportunity to build on that in the civilian world.

What handgun do you own that you would EDC or BOB? I have several, but I have the BOB set up for a Colt .45 Officer's Model and EDC a Taurus Model 85.

I've always found a hard way to EDC the Colt, but the Taurus is easy. (I have several different holsters and the .357 is great)

#107886 - 10/05/07 10:20 PM Re: Firearm EDC Challenge [Re: Russ]
CBTENGR Offline

An execellent point...the .22LR is a great round for food procurement, but TERRIBLE for self defense. If given the opportunity I would rather have the shotgun (I live in an urban area and it would be better to have the heavier, bulkier, more versatile firearm at hand) But, you make a great point...it all depends on your individual situation.

#107889 - 10/05/07 10:44 PM Re: Firearm EDC Challenge [Re: CBTENGR]
Meline Offline

Oh crap I such at this internet forum stuff. My bad, my bad, I misread your thread. I thought we were talking Emergency Distaster Kit, not Every Day Carry.

No I don't carry a weapon everday. The most I carry everday is a pocket knife. I would only carry a weapon in a emergency till I could my family safely to the my unit.

Sorry about the confussion. Of course your posts make a lot more sence.

If I did start to everyday carry I would get a consealed weapons permit and carry my 1911 but I really don't see the need for that at this time.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 281 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.