The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#107270 - 09/28/07 08:11 PM Re: Field surgery [Re: asfried1]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
While likely a small concern, it still is a concern never the less. Bacteria from your mouth will have contaminated the mouthpiece and if the tube does not have a check valve installed, your reservoir as well could be contaminated. Not necessarily a big deal, just something of which to be aware.

Pete

#107271 - 09/28/07 08:31 PM Re: Field surgery [Re: paramedicpete]
dchinell Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: FL
Re improvised irrigation syringes, it was the slender, hard tip of the syringe that I couldn't improvise. I had lots of sterile water and spare plastic bags, etc., just no way to squirt it under my nail. -- Bear

#107275 - 09/28/07 09:11 PM Re: Field surgery [Re: dchinell]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca

IMHO you did the best thing possible. although you exposed the sensitive nail bed by cutting away the nail, you allowed excellent access for cleaning - which is the objective.

a caution with using a syringe - you run the risk of forcing dirt & bacteria further under / into a wound - unless you use a lot of water and can control the direction and flow of water. a bag is great.

#107298 - 09/29/07 02:48 AM Re: Field surgery [Re: eric_2003]
BachFan Offline
Journeyman

Loc: New York City
Usually, DW = dear wife, DH = dear husband, DS = dear son, DD = dear daughter. (Don't ask!)

"Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein

#107306 - 09/29/07 07:27 AM Re: Field surgery [Re: dchinell]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Interesting situation. I carry a surplus US Army field surgical kit (approx $40) and I need to check my antisceptic wipes. I also carry a 2 per day x 10 days supply of broad spectrum antibiotics. I renew the antibiotics annually through my Dr, who knows me and what my medical experience level is.

Yes, a roll of gauze, tape, ob pads, 3x antibiotic ointment, aspirin, Ace bandage, & an antisceptic goes a long way.

#107408 - 09/30/07 08:55 PM Re: Field surgery [Re: dchinell]
aardwolfe Offline
Old Hand

Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland
Maybe I'm being a wuss, but it sounds like you chose not to cut your trip short to go and seek medical help. Is this correct? If so, did you consider going back to find a doctor?

If it's Algonquin Park in Ontario, Canada that you are referring to (that's the only one I'm aware of), you were about 2 days by canoe, and probably several hours after that by car, from the nearest medical clinic. So if you continued on for another 2 days, that could put you 4 days from help if the infection turned really bad (e.g. necrotizing fasciitis, or the superbug that killed Jim Henson, or something like that).

Maybe I misunderstood, or maybe I'm just being a wuss.

I'm not criticizing, since I wasn't there and I don't know how bad the injury was. But I'm curious whether you thought about going back for help, and if so, how and why did you make the decision not to? (If, in fact, that's what you did.)

#107918 - 10/06/07 03:50 AM Re: Field surgery [Re: paramedicpete]
asfried1 Offline

Originally Posted By: paramedicpete
While likely a small concern, it still is a concern never the less. Bacteria from your mouth will have contaminated the mouthpiece and if the tube does not have a check valve installed, your reservoir as well could be contaminated. Not necessarily a big deal, just something of which to be aware.

Pete

Probably a good idea to submerge the hose in boiling water for a little while prior to using it for wound care.

#107925 - 10/06/07 09:26 AM Re: Field surgery [Re: BachFan]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: BachFan
Usually, DW = dear wife, DH = dear husband, DS = dear son, DD = dear daughter. (Don't ask!)

Yeah, I bet that last one would be pretty well abused if it wasn't in reference to someone's daughter. This tends to be a fairly civil board, however.

For those w/o daughters, you can PM me for the "world's greatest daughter joke." smile

#108350 - 10/11/07 02:40 PM Re: Field surgery [Re: aardwolfe]
asfried1 Offline

Originally Posted By: aardwolfe
Maybe I'm being a wuss, but it sounds like you chose not to cut your trip short to go and seek medical help. Is this correct? If so, did you consider going back to find a doctor?

If it's Algonquin Park in Ontario, Canada that you are referring to (that's the only one I'm aware of), you were about 2 days by canoe, and probably several hours after that by car, from the nearest medical clinic. So if you continued on for another 2 days, that could put you 4 days from help if the infection turned really bad (e.g. necrotizing fasciitis, or the superbug that killed Jim Henson, or something like that).

Maybe I misunderstood, or maybe I'm just being a wuss.

I'm not criticizing, since I wasn't there and I don't know how bad the injury was. But I'm curious whether you thought about going back for help, and if so, how and why did you make the decision not to? (If, in fact, that's what you did.)

Those sorts of infections are quite rare. I wouldn't necessarily head home unless a skin or extremity infection was getting worse despite my best efforts (and I usually carry some heavy duty antibiotics with me). In 14 years, I have only seen a single case of necrotizing fasciitis but (obviously) thousands of cases of minor infections that could easily be treated on an outpatient basis.

Jim Henson had group A streptoccocal pneumonia that resulted in Streptococcal Toxic Shock Syndrome. Again, extremely rare. However, on a general medical basis, someone with an obvious pneumonia should be be strongly considered for evacuation.

Edited by asfried1 (10/11/07 02:42 PM)

#108364 - 10/11/07 04:08 PM Re: Field surgery [Re: ]
Duke Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Harlan KY
I've drilled through a nail with the point of a pocket knife blade and it actually works well. One has the ability to control it and not hit the bed as with the hot paperclip (the blood/fluid will issue forth at the first opportunity before that happens). I do understand in this case there was the need to get to foreign matter. I thought that was a great tip to puncture a plastic bottle to squeeze for irrigation. Would have never crossed my mind to do that.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.