Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#107782 - 10/04/07 05:03 PM How do you properly store your woolens?
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Hi, since I joined this forum, I've collected many wool garments like a merino wool watchcap, Brigade Quartermaster's Woolly Pullies (Shetland?) wool mitts and some blankets. I'm also planning on getting Icebreaker merino wool thermal layers. But since I don't use them all year long, the question rises as to how do you properly store them and maintain them? Is there a risk of moth invasion? How do you avoid wrinkles, odors and things like that.

Thanks

Frankie, who is still not converted to the idea of carrying a bulky multitool everyday.

#107787 - 10/04/07 06:11 PM Re: How do you properly store your woolens? [Re: Frankie]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I keep hangable woolens in my closet (wooley pulley, etc) & my arctic gear (includes watch cap, socks) bundled in the garage until the fall when I wash them (again) & carry them in a duffle bag as I come & go, until the spring arrives.

#107789 - 10/04/07 06:30 PM Re: How do you properly store your woolens? [Re: Frankie]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
As to care:

I hand wash all my wool baselayers in woolite, squeeze as much water out as possible then soak in a very minimal amount of water with a lanolin no rinse product called Eucalan in it. I let this soak for 15+ minutes then gently squeeze and lay flat on a wire rack to dry.

http://www.yarn-store.com/knitters-wool-wash.html

I buy mine in a wool knitting shop...not by mail.

This rinse is really a great product (I use the eucalyptus version). It keeps the wool underwear (ice breaker, smartwool, terramar, filson, and ibex) soft, I think it may extend the life of the wool, and it smells good too.

I keep my longjohns in a plastic tub in the closet during the off months. Moths are not an issue out here, but if they were I would add a piece of western red cedar wood to the tub.

I do not wash wool sweaters, coats, shirts or pants....those I get dry cleaned (not often either).

Wrinkles I never care about, odors are not much of an issue with wool...but a tumble in the dryer (no heat) can generally refresh most of the items I do not wash.

#107792 - 10/04/07 06:52 PM Re: How do you properly store your woolens? [Re: Frankie]
Katie Offline
Journeyman

The biggest thing is to make sure that the garments are clean before you store them, because dirty wool (esp. with food stains, etc.) attracts moths. Anything with a strong odor (cedar blocks, lavender, bay leaves) will help deter moths, but isn't fool-proof. The only thing that kills them is a high concentration of mothballs in an airtight container.

Some people wrap the items in brown paper or put them in cotton pillowcases (moths prefer protein fibers but will eat both paper and cotton if they're really hungry). I have also heard of people using dry ice to create an oxygen-free environment in which to store wool, and using a microwave to kill moths that are already present. Storing in a hermetically sealed container or vacuum sealed plastic bag also helps deter them, and keeps the infestation contained if one of the bags had moth eggs in it before it was sealed.

If you are really worried about it and can stand the smell, the best strategy would be to put them in mothballs.

#107811 - 10/04/07 11:43 PM Re: How do you properly store your woolens? [Re: Schwert]
frostbite Offline

Loc: TN
I had read since wool is actually hair ordinary shampoo and conditioner can be used, but this Eucalan you mentioned has lanolin which was on the raw wool in the first place and is usually removed in the processing of the wool. Sounds like a good product, although I'm one of those that can't wear wool.

Would also like to mention that crickets will eat fabrics, not sure which ones, but something to be aware of.

#107813 - 10/04/07 11:59 PM Re: How do you properly store your woolens? [Re: Katie]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure if I should store woolens in airtight plastic bags, as I've read that plastic traps in moisture and keeps the sweater from breathing.

I live in an apartment and not sure mothballs would be a good idea.

But then I've read about storing them in a cedar chest. It's a tempting solution but I guess cedar chests are expensive. It seems that that's what people used before mothballs.

Am I OCD-ing too much over this anyway?

Thanks
Frankie

#107815 - 10/05/07 12:57 AM Re: How do you properly store your woolens? [Re: Frankie]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

I think that unless you know you have moth issues I would avoid mothballs. Naphthalene is nasty stuff and it seems that the clothes never rid themselves of the stench.

A plastic tub with a cedar drawer thing should do you well I think. I would not worry too much about storage.

#107816 - 10/05/07 01:41 AM Re: How do you properly store your woolens? [Re: Schwert]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

I just read that cedar must be sanded every one to two years to keep its repellant properties (the aroma). But then I've read about a cheap method. Storing each sweater in a paper bag and fold over the opening and seal it. I guess the paper bag still breathes while the moths are not willing to eat through them. Does that really work?

Thanks

#107818 - 10/05/07 01:54 AM Re: How do you properly store your woolens? [Re: Frankie]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

No idea about the sanding of the cedar. I have a piece that must be 20 years old in my plastic tub...still smells of cedar....and since we don't seem to have any trouble with moths I assume it works well enough (or wool eating moths do not live out here...more likely)

I just toss sweaters on the shelf, hang my Filson coats in the closet and don't worry about them.

#107819 - 10/05/07 02:40 AM Re: How do you properly store your woolens? [Re: Frankie]
Katie Offline
Journeyman

Quote:
I guess the paper bag still breathes while the moths are not willing to eat through them. Does that really work?

Mostly. Same idea as storing in a cotton pillowcase. Desperate moths (and other textile-eating bugs, like carpet beetles) have been known to chew through both en route to wool, though they definitely prefer protein fibers if they can find them.

I have heard about wool needing to breathe, but I don't buy it, personally. Wool is dead; it doesn't need to breathe any more than any of your other non-wool clothes do. I wouldn't seal it damp in a plastic bag so it won't mildew or mold, or seal it and then expose it to vast temperature changes that might cause condensation on the inside of the bag, but really, it should be fine if it's just around the house.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I have vast quantities of wool and other fiber around the house (spinning wool into yarn is one of my hobbies), and - knock on wood - I haven't had any problems either with bugs or wool getting damaged from being stored in sealed plastic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 396 Guests and 66 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.