The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#107570 - 10/02/07 07:33 PM Re: Why a Multitool? [Re: eric_2003]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
The answer, in my opinion, is simple: real !@#$in’ pliers! Some pocketknives come with pliers, yes, but those things are just too darn small and fragile to do a lot of jobs I’ve wanted to do. Of course, not everyone will find a use for having a good set of pliers on them, but you will really never know until you try it. After carrying a multi-tool for a while, I now use those pliers quite frequently!

#107571 - 10/02/07 07:38 PM Re: Why a Multitool? [Re: JCWohlschlag]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: JCWohlschlag
The answer, in my opinion, is simple: real !@#$in’ pliers!...

Same here, plus scissors. A multi-tool is just a good way to carry pliers and scissors with me in a relatively low-key way. Both items are very useful for survival and daily chores. They are especially good for modifying various items for improvised uses.

You might pose the question to Les Stroud, aka Survivorman, who has stated many times he simply won't be without a multi-tool in the wilds if he has a choice.

#107573 - 10/02/07 07:48 PM Re: Why a Multitool? [Re: eric_2003]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Because the name of the game is Improvisation, Improvisation, Improvisation.

In a perfect world one would have a walk in tool shop that one could carry around in one's wallet.

Sadly, this is the real world. A multi-tool is like a Swiss Army Knife. Won't do any job brilliantly, but will do them just well enough. On a decent tool you get a pair of pliers, A few screw drivers. One or more mediocre to fair blades. A file(diamond coated for choice. A pretty good saw plus one or two other bits.

Think of a tool as being a force multiplyer.

#107575 - 10/02/07 08:07 PM Re: Why a Multitool? [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
eric_2003 Offline
Journeyman

Thanks for all the great replies. I am off to take a look at the various models!

#107576 - 10/02/07 08:12 PM Re: Why a Multitool? [Re: JCWohlschlag]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
You need quite a big multitool to get decent pliers on it, though. I have a Swiss Tool which qualifies, but the Juice range doesn't in my view.

The P4 is also a bit weedy, but just about up to the job of cutting and shaping my jumbo paper-clips, which is my minimal criteria. The Juice S2 makes it easier, and adds a decent pair of scissors. For working near human flesh, eg for cutting someone's shoe off, I'm more comfortable using scissors than a knife.

#107577 - 10/02/07 08:15 PM Re: Why a Multitool? [Re: eric_2003]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I'm not big on multi-tools, but I like the Leatherman Charge TTi. S30V steel for the main knife blade, diamond coated file. IMO a fairly comfortable handle -- YMMV.

$.02

#107578 - 10/02/07 08:49 PM Re: Why a Multitool? [Re: Brangdon]
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Multitools have variety of uses in the field that even excelent knife can't duplicate.

Saw: cutting wood without risking of breaking your knife

Pliers: if rope for tighting not available maybe there is some wire that can be used, also lifitng hot things of the fire, field repairs, tweezers

Scisors: personal hygene, medical work

Can opener: does better job than the knife in a safer manner

File: fine tunning traps, guns

Screwedrivers: small hole punchers, field repairs to striping down something

Nice big knife is a life saver but multi tool can sort of match its capabilities yet exceed them with extra tools. Plus if your blade breaks you are out of luck. If blade breaks on multitool there is always a second one to fall back on.

#107579 - 10/02/07 08:52 PM Re: Why a Multitool? [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Quote:
Because the name of the game is Improvisation, Improvisation, Improvisation.

So true.

It gives you options.

#107580 - 10/02/07 09:14 PM Re: Why a Multitool? [Re: samhain]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I wouldn't be without a multitool. Every survival situation I can imagine myself in is a mix, spanning both man-made and natural materials; being stranded in pure wilderness is an anomaly. The ability to fix, build, and improvise is priceless--and that includes the day-to-day stuff of living.

If I'm doing heavy work, I'll add a stout folder, an axe, a 10" vise-grip, a chainsaw, etc. etc. Then, the multitool fills in the gaps.

The Leatherman Wave II is the one I always come back to. It's strong, comfortable, and very versatile. I use the pliers constantly, the blades on occasion, and the other tools on an irregular basis. When I need to go "urban" I clip on the excellent pocket clip and forgo the belt sheath. But I would feel undressed without this "package" of possibilities close at hand.

#107585 - 10/02/07 10:50 PM Re: Why a Multitool? [Re: dougwalkabout]
DrmstrSpoodle Offline

I have a Swisstool Spirit myself. For me Leathermans are a bit too heavy and on the bulky side, and Gerber multitools, even with normal use, break on me (I've gone through two and I'm never buying their multitool line again). So a Swisstool was the obvious choice for me, at least.

A good multitool is a great companion piece for any folding knife you EDC. While we're talking about being unequipped here, I feel the need to get a hold of a good fixed blade. I've got one but it's a cheapo Wal-Mart model...

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 415 Guests and 92 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.