Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#107698 - 10/03/07 11:48 PM Recommendations for carry-on survival gear
ironbirdexplorer Offline
Stranger

Loc: Canada
Good day all,

It's been a while since I've written here on this site.

I'm flying to the UK this weekend for two weeks. My plan is to check my neck knife and my gerber; but I'm looking for some recommendations on what to take as carry-on inside the aircraft.

I intend on doing some light outdoor stuff while I'm there (geocaching, dayhiking, etc), but the bulk of my personal survival kit will travel in my luggage in the bottom of the aircraft.

Currently, I'm thinking that I'm going to carry a small compass, and a whistle, but, really, that's all I can think of that's legal and useful.

The only other thing is to hope and pray that the aircraft just doesn't go down! Haha!

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Also, does anyone know what the legalities are of wearing a Gerber Multi-tool or a neck-knife as everyday carry over in the UK?

#107701 - 10/04/07 12:40 AM Re: Recommendations for carry-on survival gear [Re: ironbirdexplorer]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I really never understood the point of EDC on an airplane. The way I look at it, I've got about 2-3 hours between on and off the plane. If anything happens in that time, I'm in an airport. If anything happens on the plane, it's a contained environment. So... not like I need to signal help, build a fire, skin a squirrel. And if the plane crashes your SOL anyway, right?

OK, so, to answer your question and get off my soapbox... compass, whistle, you could probably take a mag bar for fire lighting purposes. Paracord, wire, a light, extra batteries, some food, water, ID, spare cash. A blanket if you get cold. Pretty much if you search for "EDC" and take the knife and multitool out of the equation, you're safe. Check with the TSA website, I've heard that matches may be OK lately. You MIGHT be able to get one of the Swiss tool 'key' item onto your keychain and sneak it on board. Or not.

No idea about Brit laws on knives. I suppose you could just carry a beer mug around and use it as a blunt-force instrument.

#107703 - 10/04/07 12:47 AM Re: Recommendations for carry-on survival gear [Re: ironbirdexplorer]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Are you flying from the United States to the UK or somewhere else? When I fly I wear a "safari" style vest and in the pockets I keep:
1. compass
2. whistle
3. AMK Heatsheet
4. gum
5. 20' of paracord
6. small first aid kit (bandaids, asiprin, imodium, antihistamine, antibacterial wipe)
7. book
8. tiny MP3/FM radio thingy
9. ear plugs
10. small pack of handiwipes
11. toilet seat covers
12. Signal mirror
13. Fresnel lens
14. two bottles of water (purchased after going through security)
15. High-energy snacks
16. dog tags (around neck)
17. fingernail clippers
18. pen
19. pencil
20. small pad of paper
21. deck of cards
22. small, single AA LED flashlight

Most of this stuff is comfort items in case I get stranded in an airport. My understanding is lighters are allowed back on board but haven't tested that yet.

-Bllast

Edited by Blast (10/04/07 12:48 AM)
Edit Reason: forgot flashlight
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#107707 - 10/04/07 01:10 AM Re: Recommendations for carry-on survival gear [Re: Blast]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

I'd focus on long-trip comfort items: warm sweater, book to read, water bottle, granola bars, etc.

#107711 - 10/04/07 01:27 AM Re: Recommendations for carry-on survival gear [Re: MDinana]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Guess I take a different approach. To me, it's about playing the odds. And as I understand it, there are things you can do to tip things in your favour.

The clothing you wear is your primary EDC. It may be the only thing you have, inside the aircraft and out. Insulation is good; flammable is bad.

Second are a few tools that could help you get out. A good bright flashlight, paramedic shears to cut that stuck seatbelt (or your spouse's), sturdy shoes/boots with treads to get you out SAP (and don't kid yourself: in a burning plane, everyone's an SOB, and people push, claw, and climb, -- it's ugly, primal, and predictable).

Third, it's stuff that buys you some time if and when you get out. Clothing first; first aid; signalling; water, shelter, fire; and so on.

That's what little I know. It ain't much, but it makes sense to me.

Edited by dougwalkabout (10/04/07 01:33 AM)

#107713 - 10/04/07 01:51 AM Re: Recommendations for carry-on survival gear [Re: ironbirdexplorer]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: ironbirdexplorer

Also, does anyone know what the legalities are of wearing a Gerber Multi-tool or a neck-knife as everyday carry over in the UK?

On the Benchmade site I saw a pocket knife they make exclusively for the UK. Apparently folding knives the in UK cannot have a locking mechanism so instead they configured it to take a little extra force to close it. I can't seem to find it on their site right now but if I do I'll post a link. Having said that, I personally carry my little spyderco ladybug wherever I go. Its pretty non threatening and easy to hide in your checked baggage so baggage handlers don't steal it.

#107714 - 10/04/07 01:54 AM Re: Recommendations for carry-on survival gear [Re: LED]
ssbauer Offline

Loc: Ohio
I believe carrying locking folders or fixed blades is forbidden.

Non-locking folders under 3" are OK.

Please double check, be careful, enjoy the trip and have a Fuller's for me...

#107724 - 10/04/07 02:41 AM Re: Recommendations for carry-on survival gear [Re: dougwalkabout]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Guess I take a different approach. To me, it's about playing the odds. And as I understand it, there are things you can do to tip things in your favour.

The clothing you wear is your primary EDC. It may be the only thing you have, inside the aircraft and out. Insulation is good; flammable is bad.

Second are a few tools that could help you get out. A good bright flashlight, paramedic shears to cut that stuck seatbelt (or your spouse's), sturdy shoes/boots with treads to get you out SAP (and don't kid yourself: in a burning plane, everyone's an SOB, and people push, claw, and climb, -- it's ugly, primal, and predictable).

Third, it's stuff that buys you some time if and when you get out. Clothing first; first aid; signalling; water, shelter, fire; and so on.

That's what little I know. It ain't much, but it makes sense to me.

The way I look at it, there's pretty much no situation where I'll be exposed to the elements, as it were. Any jumbo jet going down is pretty much toast; with very few exceptions 100 tons at 500 mph is a lot of energy to dissipate on impact. So, yeah, wear good clothes, shoes, etc, but nothing out of the ordinary, because it's one of the few places so predictable. I suppose you could get stranded for a few days at the airport (mainly if you've got layovers), but that's again comfort stuff, not survival. And on the off chance the plane goes down and you survive, well, there's a ton of blankets, probably food, and a LOT of luggage to rummage through to find stuff you'll need. And probably bodies to scrounge off of as well.

Any burning plane is most likely on the ground. Which means there's a good chance my belt isn't fastened. And if it is, I'm still thin enough to slip out if I pull it out all the way smile Though I HAVE been guilty of carrying shears, my stethoscope, and some other stuff in the plane, but only when I don't check my luggage!

So, really, the plane part of a trip is something I just don't do anything for. Food, something to drink, my MP3 or laptop, gum. But that's every plane ride, not really "survival."

#107728 - 10/04/07 03:03 AM Re: Recommendations for carry-on survival gear [Re: MDinana]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I respect your point of view; you make some good points.

A recent flight to/from Vancouver/Hawaii rather underscores what you say. On a fully loaded 767, which is a flying sardine can if you ask me, the options for helping yourself are pretty limited. The primary threat was dehydration -- despite all efforts, I was 50% beef jerky when we landed.

On the other hand, I hop enough short-haul regional carriers, turboprops and 737s, where I can at least see the exits. If I'm conscious and can move, that's where I'm headed, green belt pack wrapped around my arm.

You wouldn't deny me my little green security blanket, would you?

#107730 - 10/04/07 03:44 AM Re: Recommendations for carry-on survival gear [Re: MDinana]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Originally Posted By: MDinana
… I suppose you could get stranded for a few days at the airport (mainly if you've got layovers), but that's again comfort stuff, not survival.

Comfort hell! shocked I’d rather be stuck in the woods. laugh

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.