Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 10 of 14 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 >
Topic Options
#104743 - 09/05/07 05:42 PM Re: What I've done this week/month for Readiness [Re: KG2V]
frenchy Offline
Veteran

Loc: France
Spent most of my evenings, reading every word on KIFARU's web site, drooling over the Marauder pack (and my keyboard ... blush).
Ordering is not done yet, but a sure thing anyway....

#105817 - 09/16/07 03:49 AM Re: What I've done this week/month for Readiness [Re: frenchy]
DeathtoToasters Offline

Loc: Southern California
Went with the wife and purchased $300 worth of canned food storage at Sam's Club. It is enough for about a 2 weeks for the family.

One 50 more weeks of food to get!!!

"All Hail the Power of Bauer"

"Only the Paranoid Survive" - Andy Grove

"Why is it called the American Dream? Because you have to be ASLEEP to believe it!" - George Carlin

#106244 - 09/19/07 08:55 AM Re: What I've done this week/month for Readiness [Re: DeathtoToasters]
redflare Offline
Addict

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
Scanned in irreplaceable family photos and stored them on a DVD to be kept in the BOB. On the same disc went important documents and scanned copies of identifications. I first zipped, then password protected the archives and let several family members know about the location of the discs and a password for them.

#106363 - 09/20/07 01:02 AM Re: What I've done this week/month for Readiness [Re: redflare]
DFW Offline
Journeyman

Bought 5" hemostat, a pair of bandage scissors and a tiny tweezer with very sharp tips for FAK.

Bought a nesting pair of SS 1 qt and 3/4 qt pots to go with my mess kit.

Bought a couple of 2-packs of Sterno to go with my little square stove that folds flat.

Bought a 2-pack of "Howler" whistles - one for car, one for PSK. (I was very surprised at how much lung power it took to get any sound out of it - not a plus if the whistler is injured)

Made some firestarters with cotton balls and Vaseline. Bought "travel size" container of Vaseline, melted the contents on the stove, put in some cotton balls (7) and then packed them back in the same container. Being too big for a PSK, it will go in my BOB.

A little every week, every payday.....it adds up!

#106642 - 09/22/07 12:10 PM Re: What I've done this week/month for Readiness [Re: DFW]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Finally upgraded my phone, to a Sony Ericsson P1i. This one has an FM radio, if you have the earphones which act as aerial, and I am currently carrying those.

#107065 - 09/26/07 03:31 PM Re: ATT phone card [Re: stealthedc]
jdavidboyd Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Hudson, FL
from the ATT web site:

Will my AT&T PrePaid Phone Card ever expire?

No. AT&T PrePaid Phone Cards purchased on this web site do not expire. Cards purchased directly from a retailer may have an expiration date; please see Card or packaging for expiration policy.

#107071 - 09/26/07 04:38 PM Re: ATT phone card [Re: jdavidboyd]
jdavidboyd Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Hudson, FL
Purchased a (old, but in good shape) Norlund Hudson Bay pattern hatchet for my kit.

Purchased a Becker BK7 knife for my kit.

#107073 - 09/26/07 05:42 PM Re: ATT phone card- BAD [Re: jdavidboyd]
fugitive Offline

Loc: The Great Pacific Northwest
I used to maintain calling cards from all three major long distance providers (AT&T, Sprint, and MCI). This gave me three different network options for busy phone times (Mother's day and post earthquakes). I always seem to get through with at least one card. They have traditionally maintained separate phone networks(Sprint-fiber, AT&T-copper, MCI-microwave) so I have true diversity in post crisis calling. If you choose some other calling card, try to find out which network they use so you don't have multiple cards using only one network. This is not to mention all the money I have saved by dropping regular long distance services from my home phone (monthly service charges and taxes).

In my experience, all the cards have expiration dates regardless of where purchased. In all cases I have been able to re-charge the calling card by contacting the company and using a credit card for payment. All unused minutes from before the expiration have always been rolled over.

Last year I dumped AT&T for charging me $6 to re-charge the card. The entire re-charge process was fully automated via the phone. There was no option to renegotiate price. It was only after the transaction was fully complete did the recording notify me that I would be charged $6 for the re-charge. Shame on AT&T! This should have been stated up front! Not only is this dishonest, but the lack of a renegotiated price + $6 made this a lousy deal for long distance. More than double what I pay with MCI and Sprint.

Whenever my sprint or MCI card expires I call their re-charge number. At some point in the conversation a live operator will intervene. They always try to talk about the total re-charge fee and not the per minute cost. I ask for a $20 recharge then ask them about the per minute cost. They will usually quote me a price between 5 and 6 cents a minute. I ask them to match their competitors price. In all cases they have met my request immediately and without quibble. I currently pay 2.85 cents per minute on my MCI and Sprint calling card. No recharge or monthly fees.

Hope this helps, TR

#107645 - 10/03/07 03:22 PM Re: What I've done this week/month for Readiness [Re: wildman800]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
I purchased some more emergency rations, the book 'Survival Medicine' and a SAM-splint for my FAK laugh

#107647 - 10/03/07 03:44 PM Re: What I've done this week/month for Readiness [Re: JIM]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

I'm going to order a cell phone charger tip for my eaton radio...

Page 10 of 14 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 353 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.