Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#107734 - 10/04/07 04:28 AM Re: Blast's Emergency Binder details [Re: Mike_in_NKY]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
OK, and what do those acronyms mean and can you give us a link to where the documents are?

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#107764 - 10/04/07 01:55 PM Re: Blast's Emergency Binder details [Re: Blast]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Okay, the files have been e-mailed out. I've also deleted most of my old PMs so if you tried to contact me and couldn't go ahead and try again.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#108688 - 10/15/07 12:05 PM Re: Blast's Emergency Binder details [Re: Blast]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

What kind of personal information would everyone keep in somehting like this? I'm thinking birth certificate and social security card to start with.
I was organizing our fireproof safe and instead of those items just loose in a folder I bought some thinn report covers, sheet protectors, business card holers, cd sleeves, etc and started making small binders with inportant information. I put the birth certificate in a slot in the business card holder as well as the little card with savings account numbers for each of my children and their birth certificate in a sheet protector and a cd holder which will hold a backup copy of the scans of above and some other documents for them.
Then the other question is should I store these at home in my firesafe or rent a safe deposite box at a bank. Either way I could see a major disaster of NOLA proportion destroying things. I wonder if I can go request copies of the birth certificate and ss card and keep a copy both at home and in a bank, anyone tried getting duplicates?

#108726 - 10/15/07 05:16 PM Re: Blast's Emergency Binder details [Re: Eugene]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Originally Posted By: Eugene
I wonder if I can go request copies of the birth certificate and ss card and keep a copy both at home and in a bank, anyone tried getting duplicates?

As far as I know, you can obtain as many certified copies of your birth certificate from your birth county’s Office of Vital Records (Click here to find it) as you are willing to pay for. I believe you can also obtain uncertified copies of relatives’ birth certificates (as many as you are willing to pay for). I have experience in ordering 3 copies of my certified birth certificate (1 for me and 1 for each of my parents) at one time in California.

As far as the Social Security card goes, I believe it is the same situation, although I do not remember if I ordered more than one at a time so I cannot say for sure.

#108728 - 10/15/07 05:37 PM Re: Blast's Emergency Binder details [Re: JCWohlschlag]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thats what I was thinking, I couldn't see any security check preventing me from getting a duplicate.

I'm trying to decide about keeping the duplicate just in my parents house or in a bank. I'm thinking a bank near me if somehting happened to destroy my house it could destroy the bank. Maybe I should get the safe deposit box in a bank near my parnets house?

#108730 - 10/15/07 05:52 PM Re: Blast's Emergency Binder details [Re: JCWohlschlag]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
You may want/have to go to your local Social Security office to get any duplicates.

A coworker has a junkie sister, who got sister's SS# from mother's records, applied for credit cards, and ran up $20,000+ in bills. It's been a real nightmare for her.

Sue

#108738 - 10/15/07 06:34 PM Re: Blast's Emergency Binder details [Re: Blast]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Blast,
Reading through the binder info, I can't find the section on "cat attacks". Did you forget it?

#108750 - 10/15/07 07:33 PM Re: Blast's Emergency Binder details [Re: Stu]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
Reading through the binder info, I can't find the section on "cat attacks". Did you forget it?

It's covered in "Emergency Food/Water" section, but don't tell DW. whistle

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#108818 - 10/16/07 10:44 AM Re: Blast's Emergency Binder details [Re: Blast]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I think my cats are all fat, very little protine to be fund there, I'd have to find alturnitives smile

#109132 - 10/19/07 12:08 PM Re: Blast's Emergency Binder details [Re: Blast]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Well I did a little bit of work on mine. I have one of those Sentry fireproof safes at home with important things in it and finally started organizing it.
We have 4 in our family now and I have a folder in the safe for each member. I started thinking at some things that we keep in the safe are not super important and a few folders with things dropped into them isn't the most organized. So I made a trip to the office supply store and bought some stuff. For each person I used a report cover and put a couple sheet protectors inside. In those sheet protectors is an official copy of the birth certificate and a membership/dedication certificate from our church. Then a business card holder page which holds the social security card and savings account number card. Then a CD holder page which has a burned CD with scanned images of the paper items in the folder and a spreadsheet with the savings account register and the electronic statements of the savings accounts (for the kids). I put a fifth folder in the same with things that are joint between my wife and I such as marriage license and all our checking/savings info.
So I have all the most important items in those folders for use as needed. My plan is to duplicate them as much as possible and store the second set offsite at my parents farm in another fireproof safe. Then I'll put my emergency binder near the firesafe, because depending on time, if we have to evacuate for some reason we plan to take the safe but if there isn't time (its big and heavy) then we pull out the 5 important binders.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.