Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#1065 - 07/26/01 01:19 PM Jury duty blade?
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
I think I may be called for possible jury duty in Mongomery County, PA. I obviously cannot show up carrying my usual gear. I need something small and inconspicuous. Has anyone "survived" jury duty carrying a blade? Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.<br><br>

#1066 - 07/26/01 04:09 PM Re: Jury duty blade?
mbriggs Offline
newbie member

Loc: Maryland
Last time I was at the courthouse here in Maryland, I had to empty my pockets and walk through a metal detector. A sheriff standing there informed me that I'd have to remove the<br>tiny swiss army classic from my key ring and leave it in my car. I started to laugh, but the sheriff was dead serious.<br><br>Maybe things are different where you are, but I wouldn't attempt to carry anything that could remotely be construed as a weapon.<br><br>

#1067 - 07/26/01 04:38 PM Re: Jury duty blade?
Craig Offline

I must agree. I think it is ridiculous, however.<br><br>Everyone is dead serious these days. More the pity. Remember the original Saturday Night Live, when the entire brilliant cast was higher than a kite and nothing was sacred? No one has a sense of humor anymore.<br><br>I don't mind doing my civic duty, but I do mind being treated as a child. Being told when to report, where to report, and what to wear? It's like being drafted.<br><br>

#1068 - 07/26/01 06:21 PM Re: Jury duty blade?
tfisher Offline

Loc: Illinois, USA
In our courthouse anything that can be a potential weapons is restricted, small knives, pop cans, knitting needles, etc.<br><br>What a world we live in.<br><br>Ted Fisher<br><br>

#1069 - 07/26/01 06:45 PM Re: Jury duty blade?
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
>>>I must agree. I think it is ridiculous, however.<br><br>Law enforcement officials have a tough enough job as it is. Eliminating any potential weapons from entering a courthouse is a small price to pay for ensuring one's safety.<br><br>BTW, thanks for serving. Too many people shirk their responsibility, check that, "privilege " to participate in our government these days.<br><br>Willie Vannerson<br>McHenry, IL

#1070 - 07/26/01 08:02 PM Re: Jury duty blade?
Craig Offline

Can you imagine someone asking our grandfathers to hand over their Barlows?<br><br>It is a much sadder world, I believe.<br><br>

#1071 - 07/26/01 08:10 PM Re: Jury duty blade?
Craig Offline

I don't mind doing my civic duty, inconvenient as it is. The courthouse, however, is a strange and alien world, where no one smiles or jokes, with rules that must be followed but not questioned. Scary, in my opinion. <br><br>My wife served for a one-day trial several years ago. She actually enjoyed it. I shall try to do the same.<br><br>

#1072 - 07/27/01 12:54 PM Re: Jury duty blade?
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
Both of my Brother-in-laws work for the County Sheriff. Both were court bailiffs at one time. And though most court cases are simple traffic disputes, they also see capital crimes and cases involving domestic violence and other disputes where peoples’ emotions are raw and tempers can flare easily. To them, scary is the though that some one slips a weapon in a courtroom and that they must intervene, putting their life and livelihood at risk. <br><br>I recently served jury duty. I brought a few books, the best survival gear for a court house, that I stuffed into my daypack. I had not given it a second thought, but I had a small penknife in one of the pockets. The bailiff at the entrance by the metal detectors searched the pack and discovered it. He simply put a tag on it and said I could retrieve it at the end of the day. He did smile though. It must have been because he was a former neighbor of mine <VBG>.<br><br><br>Willie Vannerson<br>McHenry, IL

#1073 - 07/27/01 03:02 PM Re: Jury duty blade?
Craig Offline

Well said. I agree. I wouldn't want to make the court bailiffs' job any tougher than it already is. God knows I wouldn't want that job.<br><br>At least I can catch up on my reading.<br><br>I have another fear, however. I haven't had to put on a tie in about a year. I think I've forgotten how to tie one!<br><br>

#1074 - 07/27/01 03:53 PM Re: Jury duty attire
Anonymous
Unregistered

>>I have another fear, however. I haven't had to put on a tie in about a year. I think I've forgotten how to tie one!<<<br><br>Tie it using a hangman's neuse and you won't have to worry about being selected for a jury! ;-)<br><br>

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 444 Guests and 319 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.