Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#107395 - 09/30/07 04:09 PM Re: School preparedness. [Re: Onedzguy]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

Originally Posted By: Onedzguy
There might a piece of unused information here. Does your school have a Student Handbook? You should be able to figure out what to bring or not bring to school.

ya here is what it says and I quote," The following are certain offenses, which shall result in expulsion, suspension or other severe disciplinary action:....2. Possession and/or use of any kind of weapon, explosive (so fire tools are out) or any other dangerous material. Now I could make the argument that a Sak is not a weapon but a tool, but expulsion, I don't plan on trying it any time soon.

Jace

Edited by climberslacker (09/30/07 04:09 PM)

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#107397 - 09/30/07 04:37 PM Re: School preparedness. [Re: climberslacker]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: climberslacker
Originally Posted By: Onedzguy
There might a piece of unused information here. Does your school have a Student Handbook? You should be able to figure out what to bring or not bring to school.

ya here is what it says and I quote," The following are certain offenses, which shall result in expulsion, suspension or other severe disciplinary action:....2. Possession and/or use of any kind of weapon, explosive (so fire tools are out) or any other dangerous material. Now I could make the argument that a Sak is not a weapon but a tool, but expulsion, I don't plan on trying it any time soon.

Jace

That Student Handbook uses fairly lazy language, anything can be a weapon in the wrong (or right) hands. How about a baseball bat or a framing hammer? Great blunt force weapons. How about a car? With the number of deaths on highways and city streets, a car could easily be considered a weapon. Does your science lab have any acid around? The only thing that makes something a weapon instead of a tool or sports equipment is intent. They can argue it's a weapon, you can argue it's a tool. Their intent will win because they have a very loose definition.

Talk to your Dad about it, maybe ask the school to define weapon and once they do, tear the definition apart. A knife is not a weapon without intent whether it's from Victorinox, Leatherman or Benchmade.

#107398 - 09/30/07 05:56 PM Re: School preparedness. [Re: Russ]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

I think I can only get expelled if I use it as a weapon because it says, possession or use of a weapon.

-Jace

Have you seen the arrow?

#107400 - 09/30/07 06:16 PM Re: School preparedness. [Re: Russ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...ask the school to define weapon and once they do, tear the definition apart.."

And try to get that definition in writing, with a school officials signature on it. That way you "might" be covered if you carry something that one official says is OK, then another tries to get you expelled for it...

#107401 - 09/30/07 06:19 PM Re: School preparedness. [Re: climberslacker]
Russ Offline
Geezer

"Possession or use" means either one, not necessarily both.

Use of a baseball bat as a weapon would show intent, hence, that baseball bat could be considered a weapon -- you get expelled. Non-use of a knife in your possession would still be possession of a tool they consider to be a weapon -- you get expelled.

#107500 - 10/02/07 12:48 AM Re: School preparedness. [Re: OldBaldGuy]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Or you're painting a bullseye on your back. Increasing your profile is usually bad tactics- asking what you are allowed to have on campus usually makes people nervous in my experience, and that was on a college campus not a middle school. These policies are intentionally written with maximum amount of space open to the schools; the student who runs afoul of them accidentally is generally hosed.

Erring on the side of caution rarely harms. And scrounging up things like a moderately sharp or better edge is usually pretty easy.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#107508 - 10/02/07 01:42 AM Re: School preparedness. [Re: ironraven]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Good point, besides a knife in this situation may not be as critical as other situations so raising the issue may have a negative risk/reward payoff (does that make sense?). I wonder how they'd view Leatherman's knifeless Fuse.

#107950 - 10/06/07 06:27 PM Re: School preparedness. [Re: climberslacker]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

O.k. I have made a kit hat I intend to put in my locker: here are some pictures: O.k. I don't know how to insert pictures. If I get help then I'll edit this post to add the pictures. So I need help.

-Jace

Have you seen the arrow?

#107951 - 10/06/07 06:31 PM Re: School preparedness. [Re: climberslacker]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
You could use this site:

http://www.imageshack.com/

#107973 - 10/07/07 04:16 AM Re: School preparedness. [Re: JIM]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I like photobucket personally, but I think he's talking about how to add them to the post.

Climber- when you replied, did you use the "quick reply" box under the post, or did you click on "replay" in the links in the lower right of the post? If you are doing the latter, there is a button that lets add the image tags and walks you through things pretty well.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.