The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#107291 - 09/29/07 12:33 AM Re: School preparedness. [Re: climberslacker]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
No need to squat in a locker you don't own, it may become not your stuff.

If the reason for this survival situation is a bad earthquake, expect lots of broken stuff like windows. A pair of hiking boots will do a better job protecting your feet than running shoes and a pair of gloves will be good for keeping your hands from getting sliced. A small radio will be useful to get information regarding earthquake damage. That said, La Jolla is 90 miles from San Andreas, no where near as close as Philip(<5 miles), and probably not close enough to do massive destruction to San Diego/La Jolla. Still, it's always good to be prepared.

Under the assumption that you will be staying near the school until someone picks you up, keep a backpack with water and protein/energy bars/trail mix to keep you moving, an LED flashlight with extra batteries, a small first aid kit to include a couple N95 masks. For a longer term event (this is where the spare locker would be nice), a sleeping bag/blanket and change of clothes (heavy duty) would be good to have available. Hiking/camping gear would be very useful.

My suggestion would be to discuss this with your parents and have them ask the school what supplies they store in case of a serious earthquake/other natural disaster requiring them to keep the students at school. Since it's a private school they may be more open to students making personnel preps and may provide storage (that way the spare locker will be yours).

#107295 - 09/29/07 01:43 AM Re: School preparedness. [Re: Russ]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Hey, "climber", you don't seem like a slacker to me. Actually you seem pretty hardcore, planning for all the possibilities like that. (Take that as a compliment from an old guy.)

Lots of good advice has been given. I like what AROTC said about tools that are "non-weapons" yet very useful in a tight spot. I (as a Canadian, thus a foreign national) have taken heavy-duty paramedic shears through quite a number of US airport checkpoints and they never even opened my bag. They were focussed on swabbing my electronics (fine by me, my goal is an equal number of takeoffs and landings). If it's cool on a jetliner, it's cool anywhere.

Survival gear isn't all about hardware, though; clothing, bedding, light, necessary medications, water storage containers, etc. are rather more important.

FWIW, maybe you could store more "emergency stuff" in a sealed bag, without question, if your parents told the school what was going on, and basically demanded permission for this to be on hand. If you're expected to shelter in place, and there's no hidden agenda on your part, then this equipment is to everyone's advantage (yours, your parents', your school's). Your parents could be a useful resource here; and smart people make use of the resources available to them. (End of speech. :-)

#107301 - 09/29/07 03:40 AM Re: School preparedness. [Re: climberslacker]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Looks fairly good as a start.

Suggestions for your pack:
-Dust mask- N95 is very good, bandana works pretty well to
-Work gloves
-Spare glasses if you need them- if you don't need glasses, a pair of safety glasses anyway. And if you wear contacts, regular glasses are a must, contacts + dust = pain.
-Spare socks
-A couple of contractor bags or large garbage can liners- get chummy with the janitor (good person to know in the first place- they know the building better than anyone)
-Duct tape, rewrapped
-nitrile gloves- blue medical gloves
-couple zip ties

I think you might need a bigger backpack. :P Actually, most of it is pretty small. The contractor bags fold up to the size of a piece of bread, nitrile gloves to almost nothing. Most of it will fit in a plastic pencil box. Your socks and work gloves will be floating about, but that isn't a big deal, they are pretty flat to pack.

For your pocket:
-flashlight
-sturdy toenail clippers- useful if you can't have scissors or wire cutters

Unfortunately, given that you are 13 and this is for a school, a lot of the other items get dicey. Knives are out, as you said; so are most tools. Either mistaken for burglary tools or as drug paraphernalia (I can't see someone using vice-grips as a roach clip, but someone in administration might be dense enough to do so). Even an empty water bag might get mistaken as something for someone using inhalants. *scowls, muttering about over protective paranoia*

All that being said, without giving too many details, what is your school's plan for this scenario? They'll have one, and they have to be able to provide you with a copy. The best thing you can probably do is sit tight, and keep cool. You sound like a scout- remember the leadership methods you've seen. Peer pressure can be a good thing, particularly if your "adult supervision" is flaking out.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#107303 - 09/29/07 04:31 AM Re: School preparedness. [Re: ironraven]
Raspy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Centre Hall Pa
As mentioned by others get with the administration and find out what is allowable. Having things cleared beforehand can save many future hassles.

But you specifically ask about knives. Or more appropriately means of cutting. EMT or other heavy duty shears will preform most of the tasks needed. Broken glass can do fine cutting.

You still want a knife. Get a 12 inch steel drafting ruler. store it as is in your kit along with a roll of tape. Electricians tape will work. Friction tape will also. Probably the best would be the type used to wrap tennis racquit handles is best.

Then when you need it. Wrap 4 or 5 inches of the ruler to form a handle. The find a rough surface. A block wall, sidewalk or even a rock. Start rubbing [sharpening]. It will take a while. Eventually you can form a serviceable 7 to 8 inch knife.

Maybe not the best or the easiest way to go but it will work.

You don't sharpen or wrap until needed so that if looked at by the PTB's. All they see is a ruler and some tape not a weapon.

And always remember TANSTAAFL

#107305 - 09/29/07 07:12 AM Re: School preparedness. [Re: climberslacker]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
You might try making a geo cache in a discreet location within a mile or so of your school, if there is a favorable area.

#107307 - 09/29/07 07:27 AM Re: School preparedness. [Re: climberslacker]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Add the compass. A major earthquake could alter the topography badly. Fires may reduce visibility, as may dust etc.

Also if there is a quake, GET AS FAR AWAY FROM THE COAST AS POSSIBLE!!!!

Earthquake = Tsunami.

#107316 - 09/29/07 12:31 PM Re: School preparedness. [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
La Jolla is high enough that a Tsunami shouldn't be much threat, but I'd stay clear of the beach.

Something that just came to mind is that this is a school -- how about some Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) Training. Then put the kit together in the context of CERT. It should dovetail nicely with being a Boy Scout.
Quote:
CERT volunteers must be at least 18 to become accredited, although we are currently developing a partnership with scout troops.

#107331 - 09/29/07 04:51 PM Re: School preparedness. [Re: Russ]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Some of the suggestions are just to stealthy or MacGuyverish for me (geocaching your 12 inch knife off campus etc, fire from steel wool etc). If something happens while you're at school things may be intense - the last thing that your school administrators need post-event is to think their kids have gone all Lord of the Flies with 12 inch Bowie knives. Not only will you need your supplies, but the school will need some cool heads. While a knife is essential in alot of scenarios, you still haven't shown anyone what you would use if for in La Jolla afer an event, probably an earthquake. To be frank, schools rely on simple tests and knowledge building to assure themselves you can handle it responsibly. (That's why they prohibit knives generally).

Be up front, and get involved. As others have suggested talk to your principal and the administrator of your school's preparedness program. See if there's a role in it for you as something other than a bystander. Look over their supply list, get involved with the inventory and drills, make some suggestions. You may not have access to your locker post-event. Many schools have their emergency supplies stored away from buildings (20' or 40' shipping containers, out-buildings) - see about storing your own supplies there, including items not ordinarily allowed. Get others involved in getting ready. I can't think of many preparedness efforts that won't accept willing hands, at least in preparation.

At 13 years though they won't likely plan for you to assist post-disaster unless you demonstrate real leadership and some training. You'll be 25 miles from home - your first 24 hours will likely be at the school, you could spend that time helping out. Don't be too dismayed if you get brushed off as just a kid - it happens to adults preparing alongside the professionals (disaster, police, fire). Keep chugging - the police or fire may do CERT or similar training, or auxiliaries to get involved with. If the school doesn't involve you, look to get involved in broader community disaster preparedness efforts. As a Scout you can turn all this effort into a nice community service project. Keep in mind that even if others can't plan for you to assist after an event, you'll at least be ready, which is a huge relief for everyone.

Now that I look at it, even this is alot for a teenager - don't forget to have some non-ERP fun now. Do you homework too, okay?

#107366 - 09/30/07 12:05 AM Re: School preparedness. [Re: Lono]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
The first thing I thought of was mentioned: whatever you bring, don't flash it around, even to your friends; what one person knows, everyone knows.

Forgive my low opinion of schools, but if you can get your parents to talk to the administrators about their plans for a disaster, have them ask them to prove that they have supplies on hand RIGHT NOW. Water, blankets, food, first aid supplies, etc. A lot of the schools tend to have a plan... on paper. If they were hit by a major quake Monday at noon, they wouldn't have a thing.

Maybe things have changed in CA, but when I was there, they built a lot of the schools of tip-up construction, probably the deadliest form of building for the Ring of Fire. Many of the gyms, especially, used to be built like that.

If you have a friend who thinks like you, and he can keep his mouth closed, you would have two large lockers to use.

And ask your parents what THEIR plans are. It doesn't help if the school has a plan and your parents don't.

I heard from a friend who still lives down there that your area had a cluster of quakes about a month ago. It gets you to thinking, doesn't it?

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20070911-9999-1m11quake.html

Sue

#107379 - 09/30/07 04:37 AM Re: School preparedness. [Re: Susan]
Onedzguy Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Lost in Waipahu, HI
There might a piece of unused information here. Does your school have a Student Handbook? You should be able to figure out what to bring or not bring to school.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 301 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.