The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#10727 - 11/24/02 04:30 AM Re: M-6 Scout Survival Rifle
forester Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Oregon
I purchased my M-6 Scout in Tacoma last hear and have since seen them for sale at gun shows around the South Puget Sound area. Get on Springfield Armory's website (www.sprinfield-armory.com) and do a search for dealers. They listed several in the Seattle area but the one in Tacoma was the only one with one in stock. Search the ETS website for previous threads on the M-6 Hornet - lots of good resources available.<br><br>I purchased the .22 Hornet / .410 in stainless (a must for the Pacific Northwest I believe!). I've shot a couple hundred rounds through it and can consistently hit a soda can at 40 yards (there aren't many places near where I live that a person can see much more than 40 yards) so I feel confident I can protect myself from rogue soda cans pretty well. Seriously, I think it will serve me well as a survival rifle (really more of a "poverty survival" rifle). I didn't have any experience with the .22 Hornet before but think that's a good (affordable) caliber that could handle some larger game. I like the idea of the .22 long rifle since I already have a rifle in that caliber. I hope I get a chance to try one sometime.

#10728 - 11/24/02 04:34 AM Henry Survival Rifle
forester Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Oregon
I have an M-6 Scout in .22 Hornet / .410 stainless. I really like it for many reasons. Search the ETS website for previous threads on this rifle.<br><br>I heard Henry makes a survival rifle. Has anyone tried one out and what is your opinion?

#10729 - 11/24/02 06:03 AM Re: Savage 24
johnbaker Offline
old hand

Loc: USA
Frank,<br><br>In looking for an older model Savage 24 (or any gun, for that matter), you may want to check regularly the listings online, Shotgun News, The Gun List, gun shows, and nearby gun shops. It took us a lengthy, diligent search to find ours. We found them at several gun shops within about 40 miles of our home.<br><br>You may also want to read regularly the postings at the Savage Discussion Group. It can be found at: <br><br> http://disc.server.com/Indices/180203.html<br><br>Incidentally, the subject of survival guns has been discussed several times over the last year on the ETS web site. All new members of the forum might find it very helpful to read the earlier postings on this forum. They really provide a gold mine of high quality survival ideas on a great variety of subjects.<br><br>Good luck,<br><br>John<br><br><br><br>

#10730 - 11/24/02 03:31 PM Re: M-6 Scout Survival Rifle
Anonymous
Unregistered

It may have been my post from a while back that people read about the Baikal. I was going to get the Savage combo but really wanted a more powerful caliber than .30-30. Plus I wasn't thrilled about the Savage's fixed choke. I'm darn glad I waited! I got the IZH-94 in 12 gauge and .30-06. Awesome firearm for the price (low-$400) and the rifle patterned under 1 MOA, *way* more accurate than I expected. Plus it comes with 3 interchangeable chokes (one of these days I'm going to drill the stock out to hold the chokes plus some ammo) and you can get more chokes including extra-full 'turkey' chokes and a rifled chokes that stabilizes slugs when exiting the barrel. <br>http://www.eaacorp.com/flash/high.html<br><br>I prefer the 12 gauge over the 20 gauge simply because of the huge variety of specialty shells available including flares. Some examples (including some weird ones...)<br>http://www.allpurposeammo.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.100.exe/shop/12ga.html?L+scstore+lbww9242ff410541+1041514920<br><br>I also found some accessories that make the Baikal (or any other weapon) even more useful as a survival firearm, namely in space and weight savings on ammunition. Little skeeters shotgun gauge adaptors, originally used to handicap on the skeet range, allow you to use 16ga, 20ga, 28ga (my favorite for overall performance and weight saving) and .410 as mentioned in other posts. In addition, these smaller gauges also kick far less and don't ruin as much meat if you have to shoot close up.<br>http://www.littleskeeters.com/<br><br>In a similar vein, there are also adaptors for the rifle that let you use other .30 caliber loads through the .30-06 barrel. As pointed out, most survival hunting is going to be for small game and the .32 ACP pistol cartridge is perfect out of the .30-06 barrel. It is somewhere between a .22 and .22 Mag in energy and hits with a heavier bullet. Recoil is negligible and the noise is pretty low as the round is subsonic. If you want to go after slightly larger game but not hit it with the full .30-06, there is also an insert for .30 Carbine or you can even get an insert for 7.62x39 if you want to approximate .30-30 ballistics. And, in the remote chance you're in bear country, you can even buy the uploaded Hornady Light Magnum load with several premium bullets for the .30-06 that approximates .300 Winchester Magnum ballistics. That and a shotgun slug should do you against any predator, four- or two-legged. <br>http://www.hornady.com/<br><br>I know, really remote chance of having to use such items, but this site is about preparing for remote chances, right?!

#10731 - 11/24/02 03:35 PM EAA Baikal shotgun/rifle combo
Anonymous
Unregistered

Check my other post.<br><br>I just forgot to re-label the reply, sorry!

#10732 - 11/24/02 05:30 PM Re: M-6 Scout Survival Rifle
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
I'm jumping in on this kind of late...<br><br>What is it that you want a "survival firearm" to accomplish for you? What part of the world? (I'm not presuming North America CONUS.) Any idea how much money and time you're willing to invest in 1) purchasing the firearm 2) becoming and staying proficient enough to use it for your purposes?<br><br>The M-6 is... interesting. Not something I would choose, but that does not make it a "bad" choice.<br><br>Savage M-24s can be very handy, as mentioned. Is weight and overall size a significant consideration for you? What about ammo weight, durability, waterproofness, etc? How long do you need the firearm to perform its purpose for you on any given occasion (among other things, that drives how much ammo you should carry)?<br><br>There are many good choices for about any budget and need. OTOH, if you just like the idea of the M-6 and "gotta have it", go for it. Nothing wrong with collecting a few firearms (at least, not as long as it's legal for you wherever you are).<br><br>If (big if) I was going to get an M-6, I'd have to think long and hard about the rifle caliber - I'd lean towards the 22 Hornet original designed caliber; there were a lot of good reasons why that, instead of 22lr was chosen. There are better choices if a 22lr/shotgun combo is what you want, IMHO.<br><br>Toss some answers out on the questions I posted above - these are always lively and interesting discussions and I usually tuck away a bit of "new" info for myself when we have these discussions. Quick example: I was recently asked (PM) my opinion on an SKS (7.62x39) as a "survival weapon". My first reaction was "no way!" A little digging around, some interesting information turned up, and now... I think well, maybe... (it depends... on several things).<br><br>Regards,<br><br>Tom

#10733 - 11/24/02 05:48 PM Re: M-6 Scout Survival Rifle
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

SS MkII is a heck of a deal. I prefer the version that mimics the control placement and grip angle of the M1911 (sorry; I own one and the model number escapes me - something something 5???). However, a slim-barrel MkII is a bit lighter if the grip angle is OK for the shooter...<br><br>Although I purchased it for practicing & plinking, I've packed/used my MkII in the woods enough to know that it works very well for me - and enough to consider getting another one and modifying it especially for packing.<br><br>Did I mention that kids really enjoy the heck out of shooting the MkIIs as well?

#10734 - 11/24/02 06:00 PM Re: M-6 Scout Survival Rifle
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Say... your name isn't really "Mel Tappan" is it? JK <grin>

#10735 - 11/25/02 03:00 AM Re: Henry Survival Rifle
Anonymous
Unregistered

It works very good.I think its the best survival rifle there is

#10736 - 11/25/02 03:13 AM Re: M-6 Scout Survival Rifle
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks to all the people who told me what they thought. I think I will waite awhile before I buy anything.<br>Thanks again.<br><br>Frank

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 346 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.