#107260 - 09/28/07 05:36 PM Re: School preparedness. [Re: climberslacker]
TomApple Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Suffolk, Va.
Originally Posted By: climberslacker

1 can opener
1 razer blade
2 advil

I take it that since you mention a school uniform that you might go to a private school. If that's the case then some of the above items might not be a problem. But if you go to a public (government) school, then those items could cause you some problems.

You may consider having the school administration review/approve the more risky items in your survival kit so you don't get a school suspension or get expelled. frown

Unfortunately so many of the "zero tolerance/intelligence" rules and laws used by schools these days will punish you for your preparedness. There are too many stories of kids getting kicked out for having fingernail clippers, butter knives, and medicine.

However, Bravo to you for being so foresighted.

Regards,

Tom A.

#107263 - 09/28/07 06:03 PM Re: School preparedness. [Re: climberslacker]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
> what grade are you in?

Yeah, I wonder that, too. :->

#107264 - 09/28/07 06:07 PM Re: School preparedness. [Re: Arney]
thechaplain Offline
Corporate Chaplain
Stranger

The greatest tool you can edc is the grey stuff between your ears. you can improvise most of the items that are not permitted on the campus with a little thought of what is around you. I would look at adding a whistle, photon light to a key chain.
Just think of what is around you in a school. for instance take the tiny razor blade in a pencil sharpner it would work in a pinch. you can make a tool for just about anything if you put your mind to it. steel whool and a 9vt battery can make a great fire starter but each on there own would not brake any rules that i am aware of(on a school campus). The main point is i havent been in school for about eleven years know and i can still think of things that were around that i could use for a survival situation or disaster. it will almost never be as important as what you have compared to what you know. there are exceptions to that but many have died who just didnt utilize what they had for not seeing beyond the intended use of an item.
Good question and thinking ahead of what could happen.

#107268 - 09/28/07 06:38 PM Re: School preparedness. [Re: philip]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
I'm currently a second-year nurse, so that would be nursing-school wink (I'm 17)

I don't specifically carry a CPR-kit for disasters (for reasons MDiana mentioned) but for EDC (had to perform CPR 2 times so far..)

If you don't know how to perform CPR, You wouldn't really need a CPR-mask

Quote:
If you've got your first aid or safety merit badge, and you feel OK doing first aid, go right ahead and carry a small kit. The teachers might not let you actually do any though.

Even if you use the kit for just yourself, some bandages,gauze pads, antiseptic-wipes and some Tylenol would be a great addition to any EDC

#107272 - 09/28/07 08:37 PM Re: School preparedness. [Re: JIM]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
He does say middle school in his first line, so he's probably right around 13.

#107273 - 09/28/07 08:54 PM Re: School preparedness. [Re: climberslacker]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

How old are you (since middle school is different ages in different places)? Are you old enough to drive yourself to school, or do you ride to school on a bus or with your parents or walk? I'm guessing your under 18 though which means your "property" of the school while your there so your stuck in their hands. That being the case if you can carry your own supplies such as water and food I would defiantly try because you can't always rely on others to protect you, search back a couple years for my story about the law firm my wife worked for evacuating the lawyers before the staff as they took care of the important people first. Even if you don't have your own transportation I'd try to keep a couple bottles of water and some food stashed in the back of your locker. If anything happens and your are a minor then the school isn't going to let you just leave to go home yourself so you may look into ways to communicate with your parents so you know when they are coming to get you.

#107278 - 09/28/07 09:36 PM Re: School preparedness. [Re: MDinana]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

Originally Posted By: MDinana
He does say middle school in his first line, so he's probably right around 13.

ya I'm 13 and I do go to a private school. I am also don't hang out with "those" types of ppl who shoplift. But I have a rather large locker and can stuff a lot of stuff in it. My school has many empty lockers so I could think a bout "squatting" in one with just my survival stuff. That would give me ample place to put my survival equipment.

Edited by climberslacker (09/28/07 10:55 PM)

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#107281 - 09/28/07 10:48 PM Re: School preparedness. [Re: climberslacker]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Cliberslacker,

+1 on being prepared
-5 on posting your school. That's the sort of info you should keep offline.

As for improving your preparedness factor, study your surroundings to see what tools you can improvise, what non-tradtional exits there are (windows, duct work, etc..), and what possibilities exisist on and off school grounds for acquiring tools if needed.

Learn everything you can about everything around you. Learn how copy machines and paper shredders work. Learn how much voltage is coming across the phone lines. Learn how to make a crystal radio from a pencil and a razor blade. The more you understand about science and what is around you the more options you'll have for making stuff in a pinch.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#107282 - 09/28/07 10:58 PM Re: School preparedness. [Re: climberslacker]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
I've guess they've got a point about the tools. Discretion is the key, as long as you don't have metal detectors and the likely hood of a search is low I would carry a few tools. But don't flash them or use them outside of an emergency. It also depends on the context, put next to a first aid kit (in a bright red store bought case or pouch with the white cross on it) and a space blanket, they suddenly seem a lot less threatening. Just as important (possibly most important) is your reputation with your teachers and administraters. If they know you're an upstanding student (and it sounds like that's likely), you'll face far fewer inquiries then you might otherwise. Your reputation can be your best armor.

#107284 - 09/28/07 11:04 PM Re: School preparedness. [Re: Blast]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
Jeez, I meant to include that about the school in my other post. Search internet security guidelines. Passwords, names, birthdate, and any other personal information should be keep as private as possible. Just another way to prepare, like security for your house or supplies of food.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 373 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.