Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#107190 - 09/27/07 05:50 PM Re: Prepping a house for vacation? [Re: Arney]
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
Originally Posted By: Arney
They always say that you need to call the gas company to turn the gas back on. Is that what you do when coming back from vacation?

You make a good point Arney. Some folks aren't comfortable with restoring themselves. I do my own (maybe foolishly).

#107195 - 09/27/07 06:55 PM Re: Prepping a house for vacation? [Re: xbanker]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Some insurance companies will not cover your policy if you turn the gas back on yourself and the house catches on fire for whatever reason.

#107196 - 09/27/07 06:55 PM Re: Prepping a house for vacation? [Re: Blast]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Turn the telephone ringers off and the answering machine volume down. Hearing an unanswered telephone call is a pretty good giveaway that no one is home.

Also, do not leave the outgoing message on your answering machine saying, “Hi! We’re having a great time in __________!…” Thieves can and do get the phone numbers for houses they are casing, and that pretty much says, “Hey! Come steal our stuff!”

#107198 - 09/27/07 07:07 PM Re: Prepping a house for vacation? [Re: Blast]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Another thing someone once told me is you should run water down all the sinks and bath drains just before you leave. This puts a water block in the drain trap which prevents cockroaches from climbing up through the pipes.

Also, once you get back you should run all your faucets for 5-10 minutes to clean the "old" water out of the pipes. While it's been sitting there its been leaching chemicals from the pipes and also allowing bacteria to grow. Didn't someone (Paramedic Pete or Martin?) post a thread about how the bacteria counts in rarely-used water fountains was really high?

I've always turned my gas back on myself. Hmmm, I wonder what's the best way to ask my insurance company about that...

When my folks travel they turn off the answering machine. Dad figures having one answering the phone for a month is a good way to tip crooks off the house is empty.

I've noticed a lot of new tv's have automatic timer features. Tha's a lot more convienent than mechnical timers.

Definately empty the fridge! Also, do the dishes... blush

Y'all are giving me some really good thoughts. Please keep them coming! The article is due Oct. 19th. I'll post a copy of it here when it's done.

-Blast

Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#107206 - 09/27/07 09:12 PM Re: Prepping a house for vacation? [Re: bsmith]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca

Originally Posted By: bsmith
unplug the appliances you mentioned - surge protection.

sorry - forgot a word.

unplug the appliances you mentioned - mechanical surge protection.

can't be damaged / ruined if it isn't plugged in.

#107209 - 09/27/07 10:10 PM Re: Prepping a house for vacation? [Re: Blast]
CBTENGR Offline

#9 - Most police departments have a vacation form that you can fill out. This ensures that a car will drive by your house while you are away. Check with your local PD to see if they offer this service.

#107213 - 09/28/07 12:09 AM Re: Prepping a house for vacation? [Re: Blast]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Have the neighbors park in your driveway, or move the cars you left behind around.

Jeff

#107214 - 09/28/07 12:23 AM Re: Prepping a house for vacation? [Re: Jeff_M]
xavier01 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Phx, AZ
Regarding cats, my best friend went away for a while. While she was away, one of her cats had managed to turn the bathroom faucet on. When she returned, water had flooded the master bathroom and the master bedroom. I wonder what it would have been like if the faucet had run for a week.

#107217 - 09/28/07 12:37 AM Re: Prepping a house for vacation? [Re: Blast]
CBTENGR Offline

One I forgot...I don't know what the climate is like in the part of Texas you may be from, but pay a neighborhood kid to cut the grass or shovel snow when you are gone. Nothing like driving by a bunch of manicured lawns and seeing the one house with the grass too long. It will attract more than the neighborhood council.

#107283 - 09/28/07 11:02 PM Re: Prepping a house for vacation? [Re: Blast]
stargazer Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Idaho, USA
Blast:

Here are some of my ideas.

1. Your trustworthy friend should also have the code to your house alarm if you have one. Nothing annoys the neighbors or the police at 2:00 am than to have your alarm repeatedly go off because it could not be reset. Some police departments even charge for the response after the third false alarm to hopefully drive home the idea that you should maintain your system better.

2. Make sure you have "barricaded" the windows and non main doors. This reduces the chance of a thief finding an easy open window, or door.

3. Keep important papers, documents and valuables in a Safe Deposit box or something similar to one, but away from the main house.

4. If you live in extreme climatic areas then winterize your pipes.

5. Buy a small pocket calender and address book combination. Put the names, addresses and other emergency contact numbers and a recent 2" x 3" individual photo of all family members into this book. In the calender section clearly mark the date you expect to arrive back. Being creatures of habit it is wise to mark the calender in case someone forgets and sees you home and thinks someone else has broken in. Yes, this happens all too frequently. This book should stay with a neighbor in case identification needs to be made in the event of an emergency; hopefully not.

Take care,

Stargazer

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 443 Guests and 76 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.