Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#107238 - 09/28/07 02:37 PM School preparedness.
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

I have a slight problem with being always prepared. I am a boy scout and in middle school and can't have a knife or anything considered as a weapon at school. But I live in So-Cal and near the San Andreas Fault line and was wondering if anyone had tips on what I could have/put together to be safe. (My school does have "water blox) in most classrooms but I don't know what more.) I also live more than 20 miles away from my school so I would probably not be able to get home if the freeways get messed up.

Jace

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#107239 - 09/28/07 03:04 PM Re: School preparedness. [Re: climberslacker]
Grant Offline
Stranger

I have to assume that in the event of an emergency the school will keep the students together to shelter in place until arrangements can be made for pick up by parents or transfer to another reception center. I can't imagine the school just releasing everyone to make it on their own. You or your parents should ask the school administration about shelter and evacuation plans. Does the school have a plan? What is it? Does the school have food, water, sanitation, etc. for students if everyone has to shelter in place?

You should talk with your family about a plan for what everyone should do in the event of an emergency that catches everyone away from home.

As for personal preparation I would suggest keeping a small bag in your locker. My locker (a lifetime ago!) was small and stuffed with my other junk, but you should find room for a small bag. In that bag I would put:

flashlight with extra batteries
roadmap of the city/county
N95 particle mask
small first aid kit
water--as much as you can fit
food--bag of trail mix, energy bars
cash & coins

On your keychain I would carry a small keychain light such as the Photon II.

Your smart to be thinking of this. I hope your school administrators are as smart.

#107243 - 09/28/07 03:48 PM Re: School preparedness. [Re: climberslacker]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

You might look into one of the blade-free multitools, like the Knifeless Fuse from Leatherman. I can't imagine a school administrator objecting to one of those. Very handy thing to have, even without a blade.

#107244 - 09/28/07 03:53 PM Re: School preparedness. [Re: climberslacker]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
I know what you mean. I live about 35 miles from my school, travel by train, the area is below the waterline and there's a nuclear plant near the area...go figure! frown

Anyhow, I have put a small tin into my school-backpack (no locker unfortunately) with:

2 Energy-bars
1 small candle
1 box of wind/waterproof matches
aprox. €100,- cash
1 small flashlight
4AA batteries
1 pair of earplugs
2 lightsticks
1 small map of the area

Other stuff I've got in the school-backpack:

- 2 water bottle that I drink during the day
- small crowbar
- 2 n95 masks
- pair of work-gloves
- 5m. paracord
- CPR-kit
- survival-bag (also handy for protecting your backpack in the rain

This is carried in addition to my EDC:

-Keychain (Leatherman Squirt, folding scissors, tweezers, photon II)
- Fenix L1D-CE flashlight + extra batterie
- 2 hankerchiffs
- Benchmade Griptillian (not at school)
- Leatherman wave on belt with fire-steel (not at school)

Jacket:

- PSP
- FAK
- CPR-kit
- BIC-lighter
- Wallet with €50,- emergency cash, ID, BCB survival-tool and pocket-sharpener
- Cell-phone
- Space-blanket
- 2 pairs of nitrile gloves
- EMT-sheers
- triangulair bandage with quick-dressing no1

Seems like a lot... it is...untill you need it.. wink

#107245 - 09/28/07 03:59 PM Re: School preparedness. [Re: Grant]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
A knife may not be allowed, but it also isn't necessarily the best tool for the situation either. I'd be willing to bet basic tools are still availible to you: a flashlight, EMT shears, a small screwdriver set (the type with a plastic handle with multiple bits stored in side), a pair of pliers and a flashlight.

In addition, I'd carry a small first aid kit. I generally carry a few bandaids, but mostly a roll of first aid tape, some large gauze pads and a triangle bandage. A small kit, but one geared towards more severe injures.

In the event you're trapped in a collapsed building a whistle is your best bet for signalling rescuers. Any of the high quality pealess whistles is a good choice, just check out the ETS homepage.

Finally, consider the possiblity that you may be spending the night at the school in the event of a major disaster. What do you need to be comfortable (or atleast not very uncomfortable) over night?

Good question.

#107246 - 09/28/07 03:59 PM Re: School preparedness. [Re: climberslacker]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
There really should be a plan not only at the school but also between your parents and you. Are they involved in your preparation considerations? They should be. Ask them to talk to the principal and ask about the school's disaster plans.

Most schools in my area plan on keeping the kids at school after an earthquake. Schools are fairly well set up for this, by the way - restrooms, cafeterias, and maybe a gym for everyone to gather in.

If a quake happens while you're at school, your parents need to have a plan on how to get in touch with you (don't count on phones; maybe FRS in short range?) and where to meet you (if the school will allow you off campus).

By the way, see
http://www.cityofsanmateo.org/dept/oes/firstaid/index.html
their list of supplies for the home and for children.

Take a look at these links concerning go bags:
http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/corpsvcs/emerg/ess/grabngo.htm
http://www.coquitlam.ca/Residents/Public...+Checklist+.htm
http://www.chilliwack.com/main/attachments/files/346/Emergency_Grab_and_Go_Bag.pdf
http://lifehacker.com/software/screenshot-tour/show-us-your-go-bag-part-2-292427.php

Some of these links tell about what to have at the office or work place - this is your school, so use that information. I also suggest a deck of cards or some other game to while away the time, earplugs, a towel (read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy), and a nice, long book (maybe the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series).

I' say, though, that the most important thing is to have your parents and you understand what the school's plan is and to have a plan for getting to you after the big one.

#107249 - 09/28/07 04:13 PM Re: School preparedness. [Re: climberslacker]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

One thing That i now that i will not need is a compass because I go to school/ live on the ocean and can tell the directions by that. But do you really bring a pry bar to school. I also have a school uniform which limits my ability to carry things. I currently have an altoids tin with

$1.50 in quarters affixed on top with 4 ranger rubberbands
Para cord wrapped around the top.

2 breathrite strips ( I sometimes have sinus troubles)
1 gauze pad
1 can opener
1 razer blade
1 antiseptic wipe
2 advil
1 pencil wrapped in floss
1 needle
2 band aids
2 pieces of paper
4 safety pins

also in my backpack is a cpr mask

I also edc 50 feet of paracord on my belt

I always have a deck of cards in my backpack and a whole school library of books.

jace

Edited by climberslacker (09/28/07 04:16 PM)

Have you seen the arrow?

#107251 - 09/28/07 04:19 PM Re: School preparedness. [Re: JIM]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

Originally Posted By: JIM
I know what you mean. I live about 35 miles from my school, travel by train, the area is below the waterline and there's a nuclear plant near the area...go figure! frown

Anyhow, I have put a small tin into my school-backpack (no locker unfortunately) with:

2 Energy-bars
1 small candle
1 box of wind/waterproof matches
aprox. €100,- cash
1 small flashlight
4AA batteries
1 pair of earplugs
2 lightsticks
1 small map of the area

Other stuff I've got in the school-backpack:

- 2 water bottle that I drink during the day
- small crowbar
- 2 n95 masks
- pair of work-gloves
- 5m. paracord
- CPR-kit
- survival-bag (also handy for protecting your backpack in the rain

This is carried in addition to my EDC:

-Keychain (Leatherman Squirt, folding scissors, tweezers, photon II)
- Fenix L1D-CE flashlight + extra batterie
- 2 hankerchiffs
- Benchmade Griptillian (not at school)

Jacket:

- PSP
- FAK
- CPR-kit
- Wallet with €50,- emergency cash, ID, BCB survival-tool and pocket-sharpener
- Cell-phone
- Space-blanket
- 2 pairs of nitrile gloves
- EMT-sheers
- triangulair bandage with quick-dressing no1

Seems like a lot... it is...untill you need it.. wink

what grade are you in?

Have you seen the arrow?

#107253 - 09/28/07 04:27 PM Re: School preparedness. [Re: AROTC]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: AROTC
I'd be willing to bet basic tools are still availible to you: a flashlight, EMT shears, a small screwdriver set (the type with a plastic handle with multiple bits stored in side), a pair of pliers and a flashlight.

Be careful. Tools like EMT shears or pliers carried in a teenager's book bag are unusual and can be misconstrued. E.g. pliers are used to try and remove the anti-shoplifting tabs from merchandice. EMT shears are used to cut open the clear plastic packaging around things like video games so they are more compact and easier to hide.

It's possible that in the wrong circumstance, these tools could be considered "burglary tools" which could be a huge headache and possbily lead to arrest, just for possessing these tools in the wrong situation. Hang out with your friends at the mall after school, one of your friends is dumb enough to shoplift and get caught, you all get taken to a back room, they find these tools in your backpack...and that's a bad situation to be in. Even having tools in your locker would be unusual, in my opinion, although less likely to cause problems than having them on you. Hope your school doesn't have metal detectors if you decide to keep some tools!

I agree with the other posters that for someone in middle school, the first priority is to find out how you fit into your parents' and your school's preparedness plans first, then see where you might improve things or fill in some gaps. An example of a gap might an earthquake that hits while you're going to and from school, where you aren't under your parents' or school's supervision, so that might be one area to think hard about what you're going to do and what you might need.

Good for you for thinking about these things, though. smile

Edited by Arney (09/28/07 05:43 PM)

#107259 - 09/28/07 05:17 PM Re: School preparedness. [Re: Arney]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Hi Jace
I grew up in SoCal too, and my mom has been a high school teacher going on 25 years.

First, your school is REQUIRED BY LAW to keep you in an emergency until one of your emergency contacts can pick you up. Chances are you'll either be in the classroom, or in the event of a big quake, the gym or on the fields. To me, that means there's no point in carrying cash since you won't be spending it.

Maybe a heatsheet in case you're stuck outside at night. A chemlight or two in case it's dark or a small flashlight. A few power bars, a water bottle are both OK. And to be honest with you, when I was in jr. high, I carried a small swiss army knife Classic (the real basic $10 one) and never got bothered. It's small enough to pretty much disappear anywhere you want to put it. And if you do get caught, and sent to the principal, playing the "I'm a Boy Scout, here's my whittling chip" card will most likely get you out of any trouble. I'd skip most other stuff, since honestly, the school is also required to care for you! If your school lets you have a cell phone, carry it, but leave it off! (My mom's personal pet peeve)

As for Jim, I think he's in college, since I just sent him college level stuff. Most of what he's talking about you can't carry (a crowbar?). If you've got your first aid or safety merit badge, and you feel OK doing first aid, go right ahead and carry a small kit. The teachers might not let you actually do any though. In a disaster, CPR isn't done, so I wouldn't stress it.

PM me if you want to discuss it more. (Former Eagle Scout too)

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Phaedrus), 399 Guests and 67 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.