Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#106743 - 09/23/07 05:31 PM Re: RSK Sharpening issue [Re: Ors]
jamesraykenney Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Beaumont, TX USA
Originally Posted By: Ors
I don't think I've let the edge dull much. Usually when I notice that it doesn't cut things with very little effort, I touch it up. I guess I'm just confused as to why all of a sudden I can't get it that sharp again.

And by the way...I use it to shave LEG hair wink

But seriously, I tried the Sharpie idea on an Emerson CQC7, and most of the marker is still there. The Sharpmaker seems to be dulling the edge there...not sharpening it.

I had looked at The Razor's Edge a long time ago...maybe it is time to invest in it. Speaking of which, I've been thinking of getting an Edge Pro sharpener too...but don't have the cash at the moment. Anyone have opinions on the Edge Pro?

I've hacked away on my Becker Necker with the Sharpmaker, and it doesn't seem to do much good. For those suggesting continuing with the Sharpmaker, should I keep alternating between the coarse and fine stones, or work with the coarse until the edge shapes up? Maybe I'll end up sending it in.

So for EDC utility blades, what's your test for judging if it's sharp enough?

Re-watch the video that came with your sharpmaker...

The edge-pro is great...
I have the Pro edge-pro and love it.
Though I still perfer a convex edge for my heavy use knives, as it lasts forever and is EASY to keep sharp.

#106745 - 09/23/07 05:42 PM Re: RSK Sharpening issue [Re: KenK]
jamesraykenney Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: KenK
I've been noodling this since I first read the post yesterday.

I agree that you should stick to course until you start feeling and edge. Alternating doesn't really help at all.

Is M2 steel really harder than the Sharpmaker's ceramic sticks? - or at least that close to the hardness of the sticks? I wouldn't think so.

Like Stretch suggested, rather than investing in another sharpening system maybe its time to invest in some diamond sticks for your Sharpmaker. I've used mine mostly when getting a fast edge on really dull stainless steel knives, but it might help you with the M2.

A MUCH cheaper alternative to the diamond sticks(man are they messy to clean up after...They leave COARSE metal/diamond dust EVERYWHERE!) is to wrap wet/dry sandpaper around the ceramic sticks and hold them on with the black metal paper clamps they have at the office supply stores.
Use the flat sides, as the corners will not last at all.
They will make the sharpmaker capable of reprofiling for less than $10.00 total... The dimond sticks cost me a fortune, and they are STILL not corse enough!!!
The wet/dry paper is FAST and you can get a new surface when you need it, and best of all, you can have eight or nine grits ready to use in a few seconds... I find it is MUCH faster to go through a lot of grits than just a few... The transition between course and fine takes forever because it is very hard to get the course scratches out with the fine grit(or stone).
If you use a lot of grits, you only need a few passes(less than 10 per side) per grit.

#106746 - 09/23/07 05:43 PM Re: RSK Sharpening issue [Re: paramedicpete]
jamesraykenney Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: paramedicpete
It could be your stones are bound up with metal and require reconditioning.

Pete

Use a pink perl eraser on them...

Or clean them in the sink with Comet.

#106752 - 09/23/07 07:33 PM Re: RSK Sharpening issue [Re: jamesraykenney]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Wet/dry sandpaper is a good recommendation indeed, it should work well with M2. I have some experience grinding M2 and similar grades HSS and it's not as difficult to do well as in the case of D2 or some very abrasion resistant stainless steels. I always strop all my blades, including HSS and stainless. I think it's well worth the extra couple of minutes to ensure a flawless edge.

However, I don't quite agree with the notion that just about any angle will produce a razor edge. Yes, you can put a secondary bevel on a blade at a pretty blunt angle and it will still shave hair. But it's going to be a poor performer at any sort of serious cutting. Straight razors are very thin and hollow ground for a reason. The same reason why the cheap thin blade on the SAK will outcut many far more expensive knives when sharpened properly. A thinner blade just cuts better.

That's why I'm not really a fan of secondary bevels on a knife. After repeated sharpening the actual angle of the edge will get wider and wider as you remove more metal from the bottom and move toward the spine where the blade gets ever thicker. That's particularly problematic with saber grind blades where the primary bevel is often pretty blunt to begin with.

#106764 - 09/24/07 12:16 AM Re: RSK Sharpening issue [Re: Tom_L]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
The primary bevel is the angle of grind from the spine (or from a point below the spine) to the secondary bevel. This angle is about 7 degrees, give or take a few. Even Scandinavian grinds have a primary and secondary bevel. This is because they are ground at a slight angle from the spine down about halfway (not all of them of course), then there is a secondary flat grind to the edge. I suppose there could be a few exceptions if there are Scandi grinds out there that are flat-ground from the spine all the way to the edge. In that case, there is only one bevel.

The cutting edge of most knives is found in the secondary bevel, which is usually ground between 12(24) and 20(40) degrees.

A micro-bevel is actually the third bevel. It is ground a few degrees more obtuse than whatever the secondary bevel is ground at. While it's a personal choice, I like micro-bevels. The knife's life doesn;t end when, after repeated sharpening, the secondary bevel becomes more obtuse, because it never does if the knife is sharpened properly. When sharpening, the secondary bevel needs to be ground at each sharpening before finishing with the micro-bevel. So..... how could repeated sharpenings make the edge more obtuse than with or without a micro-bevel?? THink about this now. You have a 7degree primary bevel on a flat-ground blade. You grind the secondary bevel at, say, 15 degrees. Each time you sharpen, you keep grinding that bevel at 15 degrees, whether you grind a micro-bevel or not is irrelevant. At what point does 15 degrees get more obtuse than 15 degrees? Do you think you might hit the spine someday? I don;t.

The Edge Pro is a great device...I've seen my neighbor use his. It also costs a fortune. Ors has a Sharpmaker...it's like a bird-in-hand. It will sharpen ANY knife (except a ceramic blade) that he wants to sharpen. Don;t give up on it Ors, IT WILL SHARPEN your RSK.

Edited by Stretch (09/24/07 01:19 AM)

#106789 - 09/24/07 04:57 AM Re: RSK Sharpening issue [Re: Stretch]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Well... it's just semantics but I disagree. In a saber ground blade there is the flat and there is the bevel (or two). Even if the flat is inclined at a very small angle it's still not called a bevel, or at least I know of no serious knifemaker that would call it that way.

Sure, if your knife has a secondary bevel you may keep the angles consistent throughout by grinding both the primary and micro-bevel. You'll have to do that sooner or later to establish a proper blade geometry as it changes through periodical sharpening but it's not everyday practice. Again, I have yet to meet somebody who regularly sharpens his knives that way. Besides, grinding the primary bevel simply isn't practical in many cases if the blade has been blued or Parkerized (think Kabar). Those knives were meant to be sharpened only on the micro-bevel. If you grind the primary bevel as well you will remove the protective coating, which will look really bad and expose the steel to corrosion.

Anyway, I'm not saying micro-bevels are bad but you do have to maintain a proper blade geometry if you want your knives to cut well.

#106894 - 09/25/07 12:50 AM Re: RSK Sharpening issue [Re: Tom_L]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

No. You *don;t grind the primary bevel*. That's not what I typed. You grind the secondary bevel (15 degrees or so...or any angle desired). That's the secondary bevel there....that's the one to grind. It will NOT change on you, even after grinding every day for the rest of your life, unless the sharpener (person sharpening the knife) changes the angle of the grind.

It isn;t complicated and the math is still the same.

You are correct that no one you know grinds the primary bevel. I agree. But, *everyone* you know grinds the secondary. Micro-bevels? Some do...some don't. The point I was trying to make, Tom, is that the obtuseness or acutness of the edge is not going to change as was inferred in an earlier post. It won't happen.

Edited by Stretch (09/25/07 12:54 AM)

#106921 - 09/25/07 05:00 AM Re: RSK Sharpening issue [Re: Stretch]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Looks like I didn't make myself clear enough. My point was, a lot of people *only* sharpen the micro-bevel on a knife and nothing else at all. Especially folks who use a sharpening jig like Lansky or Gatco. On blued or phosphate coated blades that's pretty much the only way to go unless you want to ruin the finish on the main bevel. Repeated sharpening of the micro-bevel alone is going to change blade geometry and you don't need to do a lot of math to figure that out.

P.S.: I'm afraid you have confused a couple of things about bevels and blade geometry. Check out these two links for a proper explanation:
http://www.ragweedforge.com/grind.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primary_grind

#107024 - 09/25/07 11:24 PM Re: RSK Sharpening issue [Re: Tom_L]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Tom: We got off topic and I'm more than partially to blame. Ors is trying to sharpen his RSK and I hope he succeeds. And I hope he uses that Sharpmaker that he already has.

The only point I was trying to make with you was:
You said the angle increases ("gets wider and wider") as you sharpen. I said it doesn't. That's the sum of it.

#107027 - 09/25/07 11:41 PM Re: RSK Sharpening issue [Re: Tom_L]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Tom_L
.....Repeated sharpening of the micro-bevel alone is going to change blade geometry....

We agree. If you re-read this thread, you'll also agree no one made any mention of repeated sharpening of a micro-bevel.

Originally Posted By: Tom_L
P.S.: I'm afraid you have confused a couple of things about bevels and blade geometry. Check out these two links for a proper explanation:
http://www.ragweedforge.com/grind.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primary_grind

No Tom. I didn;t confuse those things. Please re-read. I'm sure we'll end up agreeing and, if not, well then then we won;t.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Doug_Ritter), 369 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.