Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#106825 - 09/24/07 04:05 PM Would this be helpful?
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
(Moderator, it this message is inappropriate, please remove)

Folks,

Would you find it useful to have a source for small quanities of small items to use in your kits? Items such as amber pill vials, small, commercial grade ziplock bags, single 55 gal orange bags, tin boxes, single use medicine packages, etc.?

I'm looking for a part time e-business for my wife who's getting ready to retire from her teaching job. There are some things that are useful in kits of which you don't want to buy a hundred to use a couple.

If you would consider such a business useful please send me suggestions on what you would like to find at reasonable costs. Responding privately might be best to reduce traffic on the site. Any and all suggestions welcome. Don't think I'd want to compete on knives, paracord, and stuff every seller has.

Again, if this blantant commercialization offends someone please ask the moderator to remove and accept my sincere apologies.

Andy

#106826 - 09/24/07 04:15 PM Re: Would this be helpful? [Re: Andy]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
I think the business would be useful, but the chief problem you're going to run into is shipping. I'd like to buy single 55 gallon garbage bags, or a couple of pill vials, but shipping is likely to cost me more then the price of the items. I wouldn't be willing to buy things that way. If you can get around the shipping cost's problem, I think its a fine idea.

#106836 - 09/24/07 05:14 PM Re: Would this be helpful? [Re: AROTC]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"If you can get around the shipping cost's problem, I think its a fine idea."

That's funny! Who ships for free?

Sue

#106842 - 09/24/07 05:42 PM Re: Would this be helpful? [Re: Susan]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Your onetime post is O.K. If you make a go of things you may post once more.

#106847 - 09/24/07 06:47 PM Re: Would this be helpful? [Re: AROTC]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: AROTC
I think the business would be useful, but the chief problem you're going to run into is shipping. I'd like to buy single 55 gallon garbage bags, or a couple of pill vials, but shipping is likely to cost me more then the price of the items. I wouldn't be willing to buy things that way. If you can get around the shipping cost's problem, I think its a fine idea.

The problem is with "...and handling" charges. Actual mailing and packaging costs for the type of items described would be fairly small, and charging, say, $6.95 fixed fee for "postage and handling" on "orders under $25.00" merely creates a separate profit center for the seller. But it also makes ordering of two or three dollars' worth of small stuff too expensive.

The key to making "small stuff" mail order profitable is to incorporate mailing and handling costs into the pricing of individual items, then you can offer "free" shipping.

Jeff

#106849 - 09/24/07 06:56 PM Re: Would this be helpful? [Re: Andy]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
For background, I ran a very small scale web based niche business (not survival related) for a few years. I had it running pretty smoothly until I got too busy for it about last year.

My first question is, how would you distinguish yourself from someone like Redflare and twenty others out there?

Be aware that any secrets you reveal may be used against you.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#106920 - 09/25/07 04:53 AM Re: Would this be helpful? [Re: Andy]
CBTENGR Offline

The medical stuff is where the money is. If you can get single use (scalpels, suture kits, etc.) and still offer some bulk items. That would be great.

#106930 - 09/25/07 09:39 AM Re: Would this be helpful? [Re: Andy]
simplesimon Offline

Good idea! I'd really like a one stop shop for the stuff Doug has in his kits. There's a big gap between the pocket one and
the 2 person aircraft survival kit. If all the items were available on one site we could easily put kits together suitable for our own needs, but using his advice.
Simon

#106931 - 09/25/07 10:00 AM Re: Would this be helpful? [Re: Andy]
simplesimon Offline

You could include the stuff Doug recommends in his gear guide.
And there is a sales pitch straight from this web site, to people who respect his opinion, already written for you :-).
I'm sure they'd put a link on the web site for a donation.

Being a 'one-stop'shop will negate a lot of the shipping charge. There is spare postage to use when one buys light items.

A world of warning; starting a business with friends or relatives can be very dangerous if you don't treat them the same as any other employees. Some just won't work.
Simon

#106933 - 09/25/07 11:49 AM Re: Would this be helpful? [Re: simplesimon]
Mike_in_NKY Offline

Loc: KY
I think this would be a good idea. Not sure how much money you would make though. Small quantities of items are often not available, such as large trash bags, small ziplocks etc. It is maddening to pay a $6.95 shipping charge when the actual postage is $0.75 and in a regular envelope (less than $0.10). Many of the small things are easily mailed by first class mail for a reasonable cost.

I would look at what items you would want, put a price that you think is reasonable and then check out how much it would be to mail it including envelopes, postage and other related charges. You need to find a balance between what people will pay vs what it will cost you to provide the items.

I agree about the cost of shipping built into the item's cost. It is not nice to find a great price on something and then get blown away by the shipping cost. You could also have separate prices for larger quantities that would perhaps have a separate shipping cost if it made sense.

You may want to take some items to the post office and weigh them to determine what they will cost to mail them.

Good Luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.