The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#106713 - 09/23/07 10:41 AM Re: Fenix flashlights? [Re: Biscuits]
xavier01 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Phx, AZ
I have a P2D Premium. What an awesome light. The only problem that I can see is that this thing is so small, it could be easy to lose, though it comes with a nice wrist-strap. This is not a belt light. It's definitely a pocket light.

#106719 - 09/23/07 11:49 AM Re: Fenix flashlights? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

The brightest Fenix is currently the P3D using a Lumileds Rebel giving 200 Lumen for 1.8 Hours using up 2 CR123s. The Fenix is 4 time more efficient is also 10 times cheaper and quarter the size and weight of the M6.

Yes, as I said Fenix has a better brightness per cost ratio. But, the M6 has far output than even that Fenix in my testing. Should an M6 be part of any emergency kit? No, but I can see it being in the rescuer's kit in some cases (when someone else pays the bills).

Also keep in mind that “lumens” can't be compared between Surefire and Fenix since they are measuring different things: it's apples to oranges. That Fenix is about 160 lumens per Surefire's methods and the M6 would be over 700 lumens per Fenix's methods (Fenix doesn't actually measure output but rather computes it from LED and power supply specs). Nothing wrong with either method; just noting that they are quite different.

Quote:

Or how about the Microfire Warrior III K3500R giving 3500 Lumen for over 50 minutes using a rechargable lithium ion cell. It is only slightly larger and heavier (12 oz) than the Surefire M6 and not that much more expensive. This will beat the Surefire M6 hands down.

Not if it doesn't work when you need it. My experience with HIDs is that they are relatively fragile and need careful handling compared to other emergency gear. You can't drop a HID 3' onto rock and expect it to work (Surefire Beast is an exception). There are a lot of other variables between HIDs that are relevant to emergency use; it's harder to analyze HIDs for this use than it is other lights.

I can't pull up the Microfire K3500R web page right now – I just get a page of Chinese glyphs that appear to be an error message. Last I heard this light wasn't actually out yet?

I have a Wolf-Eyes Boxer 10W/123 which I keep in my car's glove compartment when not in use. It is all of 6.3”(!) long and uses “standard” CR123 batteries (“standard” meaning the same as my other lights and the same as my emergency battery stash). Another interesting HID I've owned is that Underwater Kinetics LC-100, a 10W HID dive-light that works in air too. It uses eight C cells and has other disadvantages but I can see some people might have a use for it in as a lake emergency light.

Originally Posted By: RAS

The dozen or so lithium AA's I bought are still in their packaging. I bought them for extreme environments and have a set in my kits with the flashlights they'll go in.

I agree this is reasonable. Another possibility might be the Sanyo Eneloop NiHM - rechargeable yet a long shelf life (over a year). I'm not familiar with them.

Originally Posted By: LED

Comparing CR123's to Alkaline AA's is comparing apples to bananas. CR123's to Lithium AA's would be a much better matchup.

I was interpreting other's comments in the context of Alkaline cells. That may not have been a good assumption.

Originally Posted By: Biscuits
Folks over on CPF rave over them. Maybe I got two duds but I bought two (one for my wife and another for me). They both went down in a couple of weeks. I sent an email to the company and was given a fix for the problem. A week later it went down again.

I haven't noticed any trend in posted problems with Fenix, other than the tail switch. Most of their problems seem to be in the switch. Overall they don't seem better or worse than other manufacturers.

To give background to my opinions, I'm not impressed by lumens any more. Anyone can build a bright flashlight. If that's the goal then I'd go to Hong Kong retailers like http://www.dealextreme.com/ or http://www.kaidomain.com/ and get the same lumens as Fenix for half the price. It's things other than lumens that seem to separate the good from the bad these days, especially in terms of emergency use.

#106726 - 09/23/07 02:02 PM Re: Fenix flashlights? [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: James_Van_Artsdalen
[quote=Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]. . . To give background to my opinions, I'm not impressed by lumens any more. Anyone can build a bright flashlight. . . . It's things other than lumens that seem to separate the good from the bad these days, especially in terms of emergency use.
For emergency use my priority is having a light I can trust. That simple UK 4xAAeLED (the old design w/o zoom) gives a nice flood which provides plenty of light over a long period. It uses the old luxeon LED which UK chose to underdrive -- longer life, less heat, easier on batteries. I have one in each kit.

#106856 - 09/24/07 07:48 PM Re: Fenix flashlights? [Re: Russ]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Thanks again for all the input. My flashlights arrived [L0D AAAx1 with Rebel LED, in natural; L1D AAx1 with Rebel LED, in black; spare L2D body tube; L2D belt holster; white diffuser cap; and red lens filter] and I'd like to share a few unscientific impressions:

Overall fit, finish and construction quality are excellent. They both 1ook and feel well-made. Aesthetically, I personally prefer the "natural" over the black finish. Needless to say, both are very bright. This makes the multiple dimming options nearly essential. The rapid strobe is a real attention-getter, but the gimmicky SOS mode flashes so slowly as to be unrecognizable.

Fenix holsters are an open top, cordura-type with elastic side panels and a closed slide-on belt loop of about 2" or so. I'd prefer a closing flap, but I have to admit they do retain the flashlight very well, at least with new elastic.

The diffuser works well to make the flashlight a reading or small-area light. The red filter fits well and doesn't dim the light much, which is a good thing.

Jeff

#106895 - 09/25/07 12:59 AM Re: Fenix flashlights? [Re: Jeff_M]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Thanks for the info on the diffuser & filter. Those & the Rebel LED came out after I go the L2D CREE.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 425 Guests and 47 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.