Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#106398 - 09/20/07 03:41 AM Re: Fenix flashlights? [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Good points, James. It's important to identify the most extreme situation you will reasonably face, and match your light to it.

Fenix lights are "dunk proof" and that's about it. I wash them in the sink, but wouldn't rely on one for life raft use.

I also think that, in a critical situation, a backup light is always a good idea.

BTW: In my experience, AA lights that use LEDs are surprisingly useful, even in very cold temperatures. The output drops, of course; but snow is very reflective, and even a low-output LED does a remarkable job. It helps to keep the light in a protected inner pocket when not in use. (It's also quite a shock when you return it to that pocket after a stint in the cold -- yikes.)

#106402 - 09/20/07 04:04 AM Re: Fenix flashlights? [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
lukus Offline

Loc: TEXAS (where else?)
I'll second most of what James V A said. The ability to use lithium batteries is important if you're going to depend on the flashlight. They'll work in hot and cold extremes that will kill a regular battery. The looooong shelf life is another plus.

I'll also second the NovaTac recommendation. I have an HDS U60 that is one of my favorite lights. I use it regularly (5 to 10 minutes 5 days a week) and get 6 to 8 months out of a single battery.

Something else to keep in mind is the wild lumen claims from most flashlight manufacturers. Surefire, Arc, and Novatac (that I can think of right now) are the only lights that are rated with lumens out the front. If you have a Surefire that claims it's putting out 60 lumens, it's putting out 60 lumens that you're seeing after exiting the lens. Most everybody elses lumen claims are at the peak efficiency of the LED before transmission losses through the lens and an extra pinch of exaggeration. An example is my Arc AAA-P that is rated for 5.5 lumens that is slightly brighter than another light I have that claims 20 lumens and as bright as one that claims 25 lumens.

#106407 - 09/20/07 05:57 AM Re: Fenix flashlights? [Re: Jeff_M]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I ended up ordering a 1AAA Rebel and a IAA Rebel with an extra 2AA tube.

Jeff

#106413 - 09/20/07 09:48 AM Re: Fenix flashlights? [Re: Jeff_M]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
One thing I forgot to mention. At Target, there's a Rock River Light that's claiming 30-40 lumens on the package. Runs on one AA, seems fairly robust for $20. As much as I use it, I wish I'd bought it instead of my Surefire. Carried well, it's in my go-bag right now, though it might get moved. I don't normally EDC a light except on a Photon on my keychain, but this is probably one I would, due to brightness and ease of battery replacement.

#106418 - 09/20/07 12:17 PM Re: Fenix flashlights? [Re: Jeff_M]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I've never heard of the Rebel flashlights, do you have a link?

Edit: Found it, I assume you bought Fenix L0D and L1D lights with Rebel LEDs. Nice lights.

Edited by RAS (09/20/07 02:04 PM)

#106423 - 09/20/07 01:32 PM Re: Fenix flashlights? [Re: Jeff_M]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Jeff_McCann
I ended up ordering a 1AAA Rebel and a IAA Rebel with an extra 2AA tube.

Good choices. Between AA and AAA, the battery tubes, and the multiple output of these lights, you have a flexible lighting system there with easily obtainable batteries. Fenix is an established brand among the flashlight crowd, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a Fenix light for general purpose use. And you're on the cutting edge of flashlight technology with these models that use the Rebel emitter. Enjoy your new lights!

#106429 - 09/20/07 02:34 PM Re: Fenix flashlights? [Re: Arney]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

i personally still got mine original L1P, which i have been carring for over 2 years now on mine belt. It has got wet, dirty, dropped, even the finish is starting to show a little wear, but it has always worked.

I have had flashlights with selectible mode's, CREE led's, even a Luxeon Rebel led, but i somehow still keep on carrying and using mine L1p.

#106432 - 09/20/07 02:51 PM Re: Fenix flashlights? [Re: Tjin]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I have the Fenix P1D CE LED flashlight that uses a single CR123A lithium battery. Its light output is simply stunning, especially compared to its small size.

I never could have imagined I'd spend $65 for a flashlight, but the reviews for this light were so positive I had to see one for myself. It absolutely blows my EDC Arc Premium single AAA flightlight away.

I liked it so much that I bought a second one to go on our barn keychain that we use when going to and from our barn. My wife is often out there in the dark - kind of nervous about it - and this tiny flashlight sends an impressive beam of light. It has got to be tough to withstand the abuse it gets on that keychain.

I bought both of them from http://www.brightguy.com , but they say the light is currently out of stock.

For me the Fenix is a backup light as my primary light is a Princeton Tec EOS headlamp - another mighty impressive light that I HIGHLY recommend. Its currently on sale at brightguy.com for $27.50.

Ken K.

#106436 - 09/20/07 03:42 PM Re: Fenix flashlights? [Re: KenK]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I still like the simplicity of the Peak and Arc 1xAAA LED lights and Gerber Ultra Infinity 1xAA -- On/Off is nice, no need to think about it.

The Gerber Ultra Infinity is what I usually go to because it's small and convenient; the UK 4AAeLED is available if I need more output. The UK (Underwater Kinetics) is waterproof to 10' and is UL Class I Div 2 rated for use in hazardous locations. These lights together cost less than the Fenix.

The Fenix L2D CE I bought sits in my EDC backpack virtually unused.

#106442 - 09/20/07 04:40 PM Re: Fenix flashlights? [Re: Russ]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
I've got a Fenix L1D-CE. I'd take a Fenix over a SureFire anyday..

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, Ren), 394 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
1 second ago
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.