Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#104097 - 08/30/07 10:07 PM Re: College daypack/edc kit [Re: Rio]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Rio
Originally Posted By: thechaplain
...so one could back up anything they wanted and store on the web and access anywhere they wanted. may be a bad idea but like i said i havent thought it all the way out...

Yeah, I've been kicking around a pretty similar idea. However, I still have a bad feeling about posting enough info for someone to steal my entire identity. Maybe if it were in a passworded .rar or .zip (can you password a zip file?) hidden away on a secure site with the file name "backpacking 8-21-06.rar" or something that looks like it would be rather boring and is of little value to anyone but me. But for some reason, even that would scare me a little.

Most software incarnations of the zip/rar format have the option to encrypt the files. You need to be aware though that most have very weak encryption set as default. Winzip has the ability to use AES encryption which is good enough for all but the super paranoid. One drawback of zip files is that although the files are encrypted, you still have the ability to "see" your files in the zip archive. It is only when you go to extract the files, that you are prompted for a password.

If you are looking for the best all around encryption methods, PGP is unbeatable. The newer versions of PGP allow you to create self extracting files with which the contents cannot be seen until they are extracted.

Another great (and free, as is PGP) product is Truecrypt. With Truecrypt you can create virtual encrypted disks and or entire partitions or USB drives.

Both these products source code have been studied by some of the best cryptologists in the world. As a computer security professional (part of my day job), I do not hesitate to trust any of my data to either of these two products as I do on a daily basis.

#104101 - 08/30/07 10:45 PM Re: College daypack/edc kit [Re: Russ]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Not really. I've tried both. The problem with the umbrella is wind and something ends up sticking out. Usually the pack with laptop, books & notes. With a trash bag and a hat you stay dry as far down as it will reach. They also take up more room/weight in a pack thats heavy enough as it is.

#104103 - 08/30/07 10:50 PM Re: College daypack/edc kit [Re: Rio]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi Rio,

You could do the following to save your data and ensure no-one intercept or reads your data.

Firstly you don't need a secure site to hide you confidential data. You hide your confidential data in plain sight.

You will need a security application called Steganos Security Suite Centre and iTunes on your PC.

By using Steganos File manager you can encrypt your data files and hide them it what is called a carrier file.

For example say you have a list of files you want to make secure, you would drag and drop into the Steganos Security file manager window. Any file will do but care has be made to ensure that the file are resonably small. i.e. try and keep the file list total under a few MB. This shouldn't be too difficult for all your crucial documents if using grey scale jpeg compression from scanned documents.

Once you have all the documents listed in the file manager you would then select to close the file manager. The file manager would then ask if you want to encrypt and hide the files. It will then ask you to select a carrier file. The carrier file can be a .WAV or .BMP file which is generally much larger than the encrypted file to be hidden. I generally select a .WAV file. The smaller encrypted file is then embedded/hidden into the .WAV (Music Track) file after entering the encryption password.

This is done by EORing the LSBs of the PCM stream of the .WAV file. i.e embedding the encrypted file (white noise) into the noise floor of the music. The music file will play as normal without any noticeable effects on the music sound quality. (although the SNR will be slightly affected) Therefore your encrypted files are now buried in a plain sight file. The carrier .WAV file can now be uploaded to your personal web space, ftp server, ipod etc and only you will know it is a carrier file hidding in plain sight an encrypted set of files.

This will take care of everybody except possibly the government who may be interested in any of your personal data, thats of course if they are interested.

Steganos Security makes things easy for the goverment to detect the carrier file by adding some header data on to the front end of the file. To lose this header information you need iTunes and its Apple lossless encoder. Just use this lossless encoder on the imported carrier .WAV file to create an Apple lossless encoded version. This will change the file format and detection of the header info on the carrier .WAV file much more difficult.

Save this itunes music file to your iPod or upload to your ftp server etc.

To get your encrypted files back just reverse the process. Convert the Apple Lossless encoded music back to a .WAV file using iTunes then open the carrier .WAV file with Steganos Security's File manager, enter the encrytion password and your data will reappear. Just Drag and drop from the file manager back into your desktop screen.

PGP is good but the problem is that the encrypted file has the extention .PGP which is an open invitation for someone to crack. The government can easily crack PGP files.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (08/30/07 11:05 PM)

#104115 - 08/31/07 01:07 AM Re: College daypack/edc kit [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Hi Rio,

PGP is good but the problem is that the encrypted file has the extention .PGP which is an open invitation for someone to crack. The government can easily crack PGP files.

I know is getting off topic, however PGP does not need the .pgp extension. The extension can be anything you want it to be.

Also do you have any reliable peer reviewed sources that shows that pgp can easily be cracked by the government? If there is I need to get my tinfoil hat on...

Bruce Schneier who is one of the top cryptologists and computer security experts today, sits on the board of PGP. Believe me, Mr. Schneier would not be involved with PGP if he did not think it was safe...

If you would like to discuss this more off this forum, please pm me.

#104147 - 08/31/07 02:55 PM Re: College daypack/edc kit [Re: ]
Halcon Offline
Journeyman

I've thought about that and do for certain things, but In a SHTF situation, communications are going to be disrupted and I'm not going to have access to the internet. I may be stuck in another country because I lost my passport. communications may be disrupted or overloaded. At least by having a copy of my passport on my thumb drive, if folks have a working computer, I can access my copy. Do they accept copies? Let me answer it this way. It's already happened once. While it took a lot of convincing even with the copy. I am confident the electronic copy worked to help prove my story.

#104151 - 08/31/07 03:21 PM Re: College daypack/edc kit [Re: ]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Quote:
that pgp can easily be cracked by the government

Didn't they pitch a fit about the lack of that very problem when it was first written?

#104157 - 08/31/07 05:00 PM Re: College daypack/edc kit [Re: UTAlumnus]
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
Originally Posted By: UTAlumnus
Quote:
that pgp can easily be cracked by the government

Didn't they pitch a fit about the lack of that very problem when it was first written?

(And with my tin-foil hat firmly in place smile ) ... to borrow loosely from Shakespeare ... or did they protest too much?

#104167 - 08/31/07 06:43 PM Re: College daypack/edc kit [Re: Paul810]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Paul,
Ignore these philistines, they are just envious. Duplication of core gear between your pockets and bag is prudent. One basic assumtion is always that your are going to be separated either from your bag or from your pocket gear.

Scenario: TSHTHF happens. Either a fire or an earthquake. Your just out of the showers or the pool. You have got to leave FAST. Getting dressed isn't an option. Which do you grab, your trousers or your bag?

Answer: Your bag if your known as Henry the Horse. Your trousers if your known as Andrew Acorn whistle

Seriously: The difficency's in your kit that stand out to me is lack of tinder, lack of shelter and lack of cordage. Those are easily and cheaply dealt with. A bottle of iodine tablets might be worth considering as well.

What you do is:

Save your next small mints tin. Stock it with either cotton wool with vasiline or better yet Tinder-Quick.
Buy one of those $2 emergency poncho's from Walmart or wherever for shelter.
Buy some kermantle laid 2mm line. Not as expensive as 550 cord. I carry both. Save the 550 for serious jobs The 2mm is considered a consumable.

As a point: I carry around with me a small tin of vasiline and a pack of tissues. Looks totally innoculus but together they make a very effective fire lighter.

#104223 - 09/01/07 01:57 AM Re: College daypack/edc kit [Re: Halcon]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Electronic copies are useful for stuff that isn't needed immediately. For your passport, you want hard copy, if for no other reason that a lot of places don't like letting just anyone put a thumbdrive onto one of their computers. Security issues.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#104229 - 09/01/07 02:45 AM Re: College daypack/edc kit [Re: UTAlumnus]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Off topic, but why a second degree in the same field???

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.