Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#104029 - 08/30/07 03:17 AM Re: College daypack/edc kit [Re: Paul810]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Not too many of those around... UC Berk or RIT?

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#104030 - 08/30/07 03:21 AM Re: College daypack/edc kit [Re: Themalemutekid]
Rusty Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: College Station, Texas
Yeah our university has one too. Its like 3 miles from where i live. It's pretty small i think (like that matters;).

For a while, it didn't even have a fence around it! Until one day a prying (and very attractive)reporter doing a story on it got a tour of the whole facility without even presenting identification!!

Once her story hit the news, they put up a fence smile
All this is pre 911 though...

#104034 - 08/30/07 03:44 AM Re: College daypack/edc kit [Re: ironraven]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: ironraven
I like most of what I see.

I agree with RAS, two Surefires and two fullsized multis? I'd drop one of each, but add a second flashlight that ran on AAs or AAAs. I'd like to see a second N95, a couple more pairs of nitriles, a FAK and a contractor bag though. Keep the jute, add some paracord when you get the chance.

What is on your thumb drive? I'd like to pimp one of my favorite opensource projects, Portable Apps- Firefox and OpenOffice portable for everyone, and Notepad++ and PortaPutty for anyone in a technical major.

No calculator?

Nah, no calc. I'm a Crime, Law, and Justice major with a Psych minor. Math stopped after statistics (which is good for me, I probably would have went into engineering if not for my sub-poor math skills).

As far as the thumb drive goes I'm taking a basic comp-sci course right now so I need it to save back ups of some files. Otherwise I don't use it much. I really should start taking notes on my laptop, but I still enjoy the simplicity and reliability of paper and a pen. blush

Originally Posted By: ironraven
Not too many of those around... UC Berk or RIT?

Penn State (Breazeale Reactor). We were actually the first university officially licensed to operate a nuclear reactor (back in 1955). Its been running for over 50 years. Chernobyl on the other hand didn't last 10. wink

Edited by Paul810 (08/30/07 03:47 AM)

#104035 - 08/30/07 03:46 AM Re: College daypack/edc kit [Re: Paul810]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I thought they shut that down years ago.

I guess that's what happens when all the alumni in the family die and we stop getting the newsletters. :P

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#104042 - 08/30/07 09:48 AM Re: College daypack/edc kit [Re: ironraven]
Halcon Offline
Journeyman

one of the very reasons I carry a thumbdrive is important documents. I've scanned all my important documents carry them on my thumb drive. SS card, passport, driver license, insurance papers, etc.

Sure, someone could rob me and now have access to my stuff, but I would definitely be screwed if I lost all of that in say an earthquake, flood, fire, tornado. etc. And, by the way, in a disaster, short of carrying all that stuff with me everywhere I go, I would lose all that stuff anyway. atleast, this way, I have copies of everything on my thumbdrive.

#104078 - 08/30/07 05:27 PM Re: College daypack/edc kit [Re: Halcon]
ducttape Offline

You have a couple of options:

1) Encrypt the files on the drive with software that's self contained

2) Get a flash drive that has a fingerprint scanner that doesn't require additional software

just my $0.02

#104080 - 08/30/07 05:55 PM Re: College daypack/edc kit [Re: Paul810]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
I'm back in school full time working on a 2nd engineering degree. You could cut down on the size a little by swapping the umbrella for a couple trash bags and binder clips.

For use with a large pack these work better (unless you've got some seriously large bags)to:
split one side
put it around you like a cape
use the clips to hold it closed.

#104082 - 08/30/07 06:08 PM Re: College daypack/edc kit [Re: UTAlumnus]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
For a quick walk across campus the umbrella is probably a better option than trash bags wink

#104091 - 08/30/07 08:55 PM Re: College daypack/edc kit [Re: Halcon]
thechaplain Offline
Corporate Chaplain
Stranger

i have not thought this out completly but did yahoo just recently make all e-mail accounts unlimited and i thought they encrypt the data. so one could back up anything they wanted and store on the web and access anywhere they wanted. may be a bad idea but like i said i havent thought it all the way out. just an idea.

#104094 - 08/30/07 09:25 PM Re: College daypack/edc kit [Re: thechaplain]
Rio Offline

Loc: Pacific North West
Originally Posted By: thechaplain
...so one could back up anything they wanted and store on the web and access anywhere they wanted. may be a bad idea but like i said i havent thought it all the way out...

Yeah, I've been kicking around a pretty similar idea. However, I still have a bad feeling about posting enough info for someone to steal my entire identity. Maybe if it were in a passworded .rar or .zip (can you password a zip file?) hidden away on a secure site with the file name "backpacking 8-21-06.rar" or something that looks like it would be rather boring and is of little value to anyone but me. But for some reason, even that would scare me a little.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.