The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#106453 - 09/20/07 06:00 PM Re: drowsiness while driving your car [Re: thseng]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
Exactly, often I find that I don't even necessarily need sleep when drowsiness sets in. Just getting out of the car, walking around and stretching or pulling over and closing my eyes for half an hour brings me back to wakefulness. This is after driving five or six hours, not being awake eighteen, though.

#106506 - 09/21/07 02:24 AM Re: drowsiness while driving your car [Re: AROTC]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
A S-load of caffeine does the job for me.

#106512 - 09/21/07 03:15 AM Re: drowsiness while driving your car [Re: jshannon]
eric_2003 Offline
Journeyman

Once that fatigue hits in, and that fatigue turns into drowsiness, I believe the ONLY safe thing to do is to pull-over and catch a nap. It might last 5 minutes, or 30, or you might not be able to sleep but you would feel refreshed anyways.

When I was a teenager I remember driving home WAY too late and always feeling very drowsy. Nothing ever happened but it hit home one night when I noticed I didn't remember going through the last intersection (which was red).

It simply isn't worth it.

When the drowsiness hits, a 10 minute nap is faster than a hit of caffeine.

#106517 - 09/21/07 04:21 AM Re: drowsiness while driving your car [Re: eric_2003]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Do you know what really wakes you up when you're driving and thinking that it's time to pull over?

One is passing an accident on the freeway somewhere around Fresno about midnight, where a guy driving a station wagon fell asleep, went through the oleander shrub divider, and hit a semi head-on. The victim's wagon was buried under the truck halfway up the windshild. The driver of the semi was sitting on the ground beside his truck, his face on his knees and his arms wrapped around his head.

Pull over and rest. It just isn't worth it.

Sue

#106557 - 09/21/07 06:02 PM Re: drowsiness while driving your car [Re: NightHiker]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I am reminded of two incidents that tested my driving duration limits.

The first was while in dry-dock in Seattle Shipyards. I was heading home after getting about 3 hours sleep in 3 days (you try sleeping while someone's working on your house 24/7). I had to go about 70 miles to get home, through Seattle rush hour traffic. I was in a different world by the time I got home.

The second was on a non-stop from Seattle to Tucson AZ at Christmas. We left Seattle early morning, and I drove as far as I could. I got to Sacramento and hit late night fog. By then I'd been driving about 16 hours and the fog was so bad I could see maybe two car lengths in front of me. I just kept at 65 mph the whole time and tried to watch for red lights. Dad was asleep in the back seat, and little brother was sitting next to me too scared to sleep. I finally got to the top of the grapevine when my ears gave out and I rousted dad so he could drive through north LA at 4:30 am. I sacked for about 3 hours, then woke up and drove the rest of the way. 32 hours from Seattle to Tucson. I don't know what I was trying to prove.

#106558 - 09/21/07 06:04 PM Re: drowsiness while driving your car [Re: NightHiker]
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: NightHiker
I'd say your options are:

- Caffeine (my personal favorite), ingest to the point of random muscle twitching. Available via coffee, pills, gum, and energy drinks, and instant coffee crystals - just a pinch between your cheek & gums). Some people like to combine caffeine with nicotine for the additional vasoconstrictive/tachycardic effect but I'm a caffeine purist, I'm anxiously waiting for the day the FDA approves injectable caffeine for over-the-counter sale.

Since you may have concerns about the effect of caffeine on your health, you may be limited to:

- Plan your trips to remain in a 40 min radius of your home.
- Stop every 30-40 minutes to catch a cat nap or get out and walk around.
- Instead of drifting off to sleep, induce a state of self-hypnosis and "recondition" yourself to feel refreshed.
- Get somebody else to drive you.

If your engine noise is causing drowsiness try drowning it out with music that you find obnoxious (probably available free of charge somewhere on your FM dial).

In all seriousness, if this really is a constant occurrance, I'd strongly consider Matt26's thoughts about an exhaust leak.

my honda 1993 car has off market manifold that isn't well insulated from noise as well as Honda brand. Besides my car is old compare to new Honda models. It lacks interior insulation. I use ear plugs to reduce the noise but I can still hear the droning of engine noise.

I am just wondering if something is wrong with my body. I did have a hearing test and the results indicated that my hearing is more sensitive on certain frequencies.

#106567 - 09/21/07 06:58 PM Re: drowsiness while driving your car [Re: picard120]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I think your body is fine. You are just susceptible to external stimulus is all, same as me. Sometimes it invigorates, sometimes it pacifies.

Something else I've tried with some success is language learning recordings.

#106621 - 09/22/07 02:59 AM Re: drowsiness while driving your car [Re: benjammin]
Matt26 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Vermont
I listen to books on tape, I own several but the local library has hundreds! Try it.

#106622 - 09/22/07 03:06 AM Re: drowsiness while driving your car [Re: Matt26]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Originally Posted By: Matt26
I listen to books on tape, I own several but the local library has hundreds! Try it.

Heh, that would put me to sleep while driving, and I don’t normally have the driving drowsy problem. smile

#106681 - 09/23/07 12:38 AM Re: drowsiness while driving your car [Re: JCWohlschlag]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
I tried to listen to a book on tape, but it was so distracting to pay attention to the road and try to take in the facts of the book on tape at the same time. I can chew while driving though ;P

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 292 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.