Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#106493 - 09/21/07 12:20 AM Ergonomic organization of your rucksack or daypack
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Hi, I haven't purchased my rucksack yet but I was sketching the organization of the gear that goes inside in a notebook (here a NATO style rucksack):

So how do you logically organize your gear in your BOB/daypack/rucksack, like the first thing to grab goes on top of the main compartment or in the exterior front pouch?

Frankie

#106495 - 09/21/07 12:43 AM Re: Ergonomic organization of your rucksack or daypack [Re: Frankie]
LED Offline
Veteran

Mostly I put less used items on bottom and and most used equipment on top. Electronics, compass, and flashlights always go in easily accessible top pocket. But whenever I don't think I'll need something in the bottom of my pack I always wind up needing it. Go figure.

#106499 - 09/21/07 01:19 AM Re: Ergonomic organization of your rucksack or daypack [Re: NightHiker]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Like NightHiker, I have my heavy gear down low, near the hip belt. In fact, my layout is very similar to his.

water, flashlight, knife, FAK in outside pockets. rain gear on the top in the main pouch. Food usually under that, so it won't crush (some snacks easily accessible). Sleeping bag usually on the bottom, more cuz it's bulky than heavy (this is in a camping pack, not BOB).

#106501 - 09/21/07 01:46 AM Re: Ergonomic organization of your rucksack or daypack [Re: Frankie]
epirider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wyoming, USA
I actually have a large pack and I pack clothes on the perimeter of the pack, my sleeping bac in the middle, food on the top, and equipment in the outer pockets and tent, and various other "stuff" attached to the outside. In the top, I have compasses, documents and quick need stuff. My pack does weigh 55 lbs. fully loaded, so take it for what it is worth.

#106508 - 09/21/07 02:58 AM Re: Ergonomic organization of your rucksack or daypack [Re: epirider]
SARbound Offline
Addict

Loc: Quebec City, Canada
Nice drawing Frankie... I wish I could be half as good as you! :-)

I carry the fragile items in the top pocket of my Osprey Stratos 32. Small items (PSK, FAK, gloves, etc.) all go in side pockets. The rest goes in the main compartment.

Your layout seems effective.

#106514 - 09/21/07 03:53 AM Re: Ergonomic organization of your rucksack or daypack [Re: Frankie]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I have the German army daypack. It's similar to your drawing minus the secondary compartment. The two side compartments may not be a perfect fit for Nalgene and SIGG type bottles. You will get them in no problem. But they may bulge into the main compartment space.Square sided nalgene bottles are available, so you may want to measure and look around. The side pockets are sewn with the top and bottoms open to carry skis and poles. This makes a handy load point for a smaller axe. My ruck has a inner sleeve with velcro straps against the inner wall. This is handy for a poncho or tarp and helps pad your backside. Aside from those points I merely fold or roll clothing very tight and use inner sacks to seperate everything. A daypack is just a bigger PSK. If you need the first aid kit it will be on the bottom unless it gets cold and then your mittens and balaclava are. Like my PSK, I deploy a bandanna/ poncho on the ground, dump and grab.I don't lose anything and save time if it's an emergency.

#106539 - 09/21/07 01:54 PM Re: Ergonomic organization of your rucksack or day [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

I use these color-coded nylon inserts in my EDC daypack. Red is for trauma, yellow is for survival items, green is for PPE & airway items, and white is for foodstuffs. The less often used inserts are packed lower in the pack. Each insert has a clear vinyl window and hook-side Velcro backing strips. They are no heavier than a similarly sized stuffsack but offer much better access & visualization of contents. At 10.5" x 4" x 2" they fit very naturally in a daypack-sized bag.

#106541 - 09/21/07 02:24 PM Re: Ergonomic organization of your rucksack or daypack [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Is it the "alpine", or "mountain" version as opposed to "standard" German rucksack:

I'll check out the surplus downtown and keep in mind the features you pointed out like the bottom openings of the side pockets (ski slots) and the inner sleeves. I do have this rectangular Nalgene bottle:

Thanks for sharing your ideas.

#106546 - 09/21/07 03:19 PM Re: Ergonomic organization of your rucksack or daypack [Re: Frankie]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thats my ruck in the photo, except my cat Piewacket has personalised it with his claws ( tough material.)

#106624 - 09/22/07 03:43 AM Re: Ergonomic organization of your rucksack or daypack [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
CBTENGR Offline

This kinda looks like the Aussie style ruck. The Aussie version has an outside front pocket and top pocket, but the side pockets are do not have an open bottom. Here is a link...

http://www.unclesams.com/MilitaryClothin...39/Default.aspx

I used one in the field and kept a FAK in the outside front compartment and a poncho/poncho liner in the top compartment. I could fit a GI collapsible canteen in each side pocket (But it was very tight).

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 440 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.