Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#106247 - 09/19/07 11:12 AM EDC Kit contents, your comments please!
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
Hi! I’m a new member of the forum and the best way to describe me is that I’m a member of Raspy’s Brooks Brothers Brigade (but I don’t dress that well). Based on what I’ve read here and other places I’ve been putting together some basic kits for EDC, car and home. I’d like to get y’all’s comments and suggestions on each kit. I’ll post pictures to a web site and list the contents of each over the next couple of weeks hoping that I’ll get some good suggestions for adding or subtracting items. These kits are designed to operate within basically an urban/interstate highway environment.

My primary EDC is the stuff I carry in my pockets wherever I go. This includes:
CRTK money clip KISS knife
Swiss army type pen knife with blade, file, scissors, toothpick and tweezers
Sliver gripper tweezers
Small red LED light
Streamlight keychain LED light (white)
FoxPro 40 whistle
PicoPad (stickynotes and ballpoint pen that fits in my wallet)

Next step up is my business case that I carry every day to my office and to client sites. I travel by car, train and subway, but mostly by car. This adds FAK, PSK, communications (ham radio and laptop with WiFi and broadband wireless), food, water, protection, tools, cordage, etc.

In the car I have backpack (BOB) with stuff for 48-72 hours of being caught in some kind of urban catastrophe. I’ll list that some other time. Each member of my family has a similar kit in their car or apartment. In the house I have two plastic containers with more food, water, shelter and FA supplies that I can throw in the card and skedaddle on 15 minutes notice.

There are duplicates in each kit but I think that gives me redundancy and extends the supportable time away from home (i.e. the MainStay food bars in the BOB supplement the MRE’s in the house kit).

The bag I carry to work is a Maratac Extreme Attaché. It looks “tactical” but I’m a professional geek so it fits my character.

Pictures can be found at this url: http://picasaweb.google.com/AJFTGOV

EDC Contents
Front Zipper Pocket:
LED clip-on light with retractable belt clip
Datebook
Gerber Infinity AAX1 LED light
FoxPro 40 whistle
Paper Clipper (clips up to 10 pages together, reusable)
Various pens
USB thumb drive
Bose QC2 headphones (sweet!)
Cord reel (Cyber Guys)
AMK Ultralight .3 (pair of Nitrile gloves inside)

External Pouches (mostly MOLLE, others put on with BlackHawk’s speed clips)
Left end:
M-16 Clip pouch, holds my Kenwood D700 radio control head*
Front:
Top corner left: Glotoob waterproof light , 7 functions, spare 123A,
Bottom corner left: Travel FAK (aspirin, TUMS, eye drops, Purell, bandaids, ointment stuffed in a pouch from County Comm, for the little hurts with quick access)
Middle pouch: ID badges, Metro pass, (again on retractable, belt clip lanyards) spare keys, business cards, small RiteintheRain notebook with cover
Right pouch: Tools, 4 tip micro screwdriver, voltage detector, Mini Maglite, LED flashing flare, spare AA & AAA batteries, mini pry bar, small multiool, zip ties
Also in the webbing are 2 spare Speed Clips, two 6 ft lengths of paracord with z-clips and 2 Griploks (I clip my keys and my water bottle to these)

Right end:
Padded pouch with Nikon L10 digital camera (great for documenting events, accident scenes, last will and testaments (JK)
Padded knife pouch with a Benchmade one-handed folder (very light, very sharp but very strong) with a DMT folding sharpener

Top Panel
Case that holds my Etymotic noise reduction headphones and a small MP3 player which also has a voice recorder and FM radio

Inside
Velcro covered panel that came with the attaché
Side 1: Kenwood F6A tri-band ham radio with speaker mike, alkaline battery case, soft case, 2 antennas, charging cable with Anderson PowerPole connectors (fits my power supplies in the car and a 14 amp hour 12v SLA battery), Doug’s PSK, pouch with spare batteries and other small parts

Side 2: HP laptop in a neoprene sleeve (bag is padded but the sleeve adds protection, and I can carry it separately), power supply and cord, broadband wireless card (faster than Wifi and more available)

Interior and external side pockets hold food bars, misc. cables, and an Aspen monocular.

This is not the typical business case. But the MOLLE and pouch system allow me to have quick access to items and to easily remove items while keeping them organized. (The folks I work for don’t like the edged tools in their buildings) Plus the bag is very well constructed with a padded shoulder strap.

I would appreciate your suggestions for additions or deletions and will be happy to answer questions on where I found some of these things. The quality of the conversations in the ETS forums is outstanding: polite, informative and with plenty of gentle humor. I hope I can add some value to them.

* I don’t leave the control head in the car as Kenwood won’t sell you a replacement if it is stolen. The radio body is secured in the trunk. My car setup is a subject for a whole other forum.

Edited by Andy (09/19/07 11:12 AM)

#106251 - 09/19/07 12:06 PM Re: EDC Kit contents, your comments please! [Re: Andy]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Andy,

Welcome to the fire!

That's a real nice setup you have. It seems pretty complete to me but I would add:
1. another 20 feet of paracord
2. AMK Heatsheet. With those you can rig up a nice emergency shelter in minutes.
3. a high-quality poncho might also be useful.
4. emergency cellphone charger (battery or crank)
5. maps of the area

I'd also spend some time scouting my area, both my work areas and the surroundings. Find out escape routes, sources of shelter, food & water, possible danger zones (steam pipes/dark alleys/wet cats/etc...)

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#106262 - 09/19/07 01:09 PM Re: EDC Kit contents, your comments please! [Re: Blast]
Rio Offline

Loc: Pacific North West
Hey, nice looking kit smile Little off topic, but how do you like that Gerber Infinity flashlight? I've been thinking about picking one up for a while...

Thanks,
Rio

#106264 - 09/19/07 01:27 PM Re: EDC Kit contents, your comments please! [Re: Andy]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
Welcome!

I like the kit. Maybe add A N95-mask? Also a couple of bandanna's and some energy-bars would be nice.

#106266 - 09/19/07 02:04 PM Re: EDC Kit contents, your comments please! [Re: Andy]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
That's the first Benchmade 960 I've seen in an EDC kit. It's a nice knife and the D-2 steel holds a great edge. You might want to consider Doug's RSK Mk 1 knife also; it's an upgrade of Benchmade's 550 Griptilian. I prefer it to the 960 for the blade profile and for the larger grip size.

#106285 - 09/19/07 05:03 PM Re: EDC Kit contents, your comments please! [Re: Russ]
Rusty Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: College Station, Texas
Where is the best place to pick up an N95 Mask? Is there a specific type that is best?

#106289 - 09/19/07 05:13 PM Re: EDC Kit contents, your comments please! [Re: Andy]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Add a ferro rod and a pill fob with tinder to your key ring.

Purification tablets.

#106292 - 09/19/07 05:33 PM Re: EDC Kit contents, your comments please! [Re: Blast]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks!

I keep the items you mention in my BOB in the car. Space and weight are always a concern when traveling by public transport but those are good suggestions. I've been traveling this route (Philly to DC) for 10 years and have compiled many alternate routes (adaption via traffic jams!)but picking out some possible layover/restock points out of the main traffic flows is a good idea.

Andy

#106294 - 09/19/07 05:37 PM Re: EDC Kit contents, your comments please! [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Leigh,

Good thought that. I'll either pack some foil wrapped tablets in one of my pouches or I'm thinking about a second wallet to carry additional supplies a la Raspy's suggestion. But the pill fob is also great suggestion to adding some matches to my pocket EDC.

Ain't this fun figuring out how to make the most of everyday stuff.

Andy

#106297 - 09/19/07 05:40 PM Re: EDC Kit contents, your comments please! [Re: Rio]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

The Gerber is light, tough and easy to carry. The paint is wearing off mine but that doesn't bother me. I keep a lithium AA in mine.

Andy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, NAro), 354 Guests and 88 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.