Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#106384 - 09/20/07 02:44 AM Re: Bleeding, now with pictures [Re: Blast]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Yeah, if it going tie-died, it's doctor time. frown Good luck.

The other piece I forgot to mention with the heavy gloves and jacket is catnip- mine all get really mellow stoned on it. I pad up, carry a drooling pothead outside, and give them a bath while they purr drunkenly.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#106387 - 09/20/07 02:53 AM Re: Bleeding, now with pictures [Re: Blast]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
A video instead of pics, on Americas Funniest Home Videos, could make you some serious bucks...

#106397 - 09/20/07 03:36 AM Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. [Re: frostbite]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
Originally Posted By: frostbite
I've never needed to try this but I read if you put on a harness or collar and leash and then tie the leash to the faucet (or something else) it helps to restrain the pet. FWIW

i forgot how well a harness can work. our cats don't move with one on - not even tied to anything.

mixing a harnessed cat with water might create some motion. then again...?

cats clean themselves - constantly. and quite honestly, after seeing blasts's photos, i'm more than a little hesitant to try to bathe the adults.

#106399 - 09/20/07 04:02 AM Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. [Re: bsmith]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
My daughter can pick up the wildest cat in the world and sling it over her shoulder to carry if she wants. Gives any a bath, they make a lot of noise, but never ever scratch or bite her. Can't say the same for my wife. And I agree with you, cats lick themselves clean all the time, why interfer with mother nature by throwing them into a tub/shower...

#106417 - 09/20/07 12:10 PM Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
cats lick themselves clean all the time, why interfer with mother nature by throwing them into a tub/shower...

Unfortunately, licking doesn't get rid of fleas.

Of course, it turns out bathing them doesn't either...

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#106419 - 09/20/07 12:29 PM Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. [Re: Blast]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Cats. Pfffpt. Felix Disgusticus.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#106448 - 09/20/07 05:27 PM Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. [Re: Blast]
iain Offline
Stranger

Loc: Ontario, Canada
The combination of title and content make that one of the funniest posts I think I've ever seen (chalk it up to schadenfreude). grin Thanks for sharing!

With particularly ornery cats, you can always go to the vet and get something to sedate them. While you will probably still have to give the cat a pill, it can make for a far easier experience for everyone involved.

When you step out that door in the morning you never really know what you're going to encounter.

#106454 - 09/20/07 06:08 PM Re: Bleeding, now with pictures [Re: Blast]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
Sad little kitty...powered by the devil. People in the computer lab are sure to wonder what I'm laughing at. Got to be one of the best ETS forum pictures of all time.

Radiating lines from the bites? Bad news, one of the vets I know had to have IV antibiotics after a serious cat bite.

#106456 - 09/20/07 06:18 PM Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. [Re: Blast]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
"Unfortunately, licking doesn't get rid of fleas."

For what it's worth: Our vet told us when you see a flea on an animal you're seeing it at mealtime. It jumps on for a quick meal of blood and jumps off, burrows into carpet (indoors) or grass (outdoors) and lays eggs to make, eventually, more hungry fleas. Pet collars, etc., just make them jump off faster or inhibit them from jumping on the begin with. To get rid of a flea infestation, yes, you treat the animal, but you also treat your carpet and your yard.

Back in the day the treatment of choice was rose dust. We would sprinkle it on the carpet and leave the house for a few hours, then put on paint masks and vacuum thoroughly. Ditto the front and back yard (they were small) except for the vacuuming part. We did this twice about three days apart in order to get the fleas that were hatched after we killed off the first generation.

I haven't seen rose dust on the shelves for a while, so it's probably been determined to be too toxic for home use. I assume there are less poisonous alternatives out there today. However, if you try this approach with any insecticide you need to be EXTREMELY careful how you handle it and clean it up afterwords. Our kids were in their early teens then, so crawling babies weren't a concern, for example.

The thing is, it worked. We never had another flea infestation the whole time we lived in that house with our animals, which was close to seven years.

Frank2135

#106464 - 09/20/07 07:44 PM Re: Hi, my name is Blast and I'm bleeding. [Re: Frank2135]
frostbite Offline

Loc: TN
Frank2135,

You just reminded me of the way a friend dealt with fleas. She shakes ordinary salt on the carpet and then lays down newspaper. The paper keeps the fleas on the floor and the salt does the rest. To something the size of a flea the salt crystal edges are evidently sharp enough. She's had dogs for years and comes from a country farming family.

Page 5 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 166 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.