Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#106301 - 09/19/07 05:53 PM Re: EDC Kit contents, your comments please! [Re: JIM]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
Jim, Thanks for the comments. I do have a couple of energy bars in the bag but the bandana is a good suggestion. I need to add some more shelter items as was suggested by Blast in case I get caught up in something away from my BOB in the car .

(Next time I'll reply to all the comments in one post, still new to this concept).
I do keep a mask in the BOB as well as gloves (there's a pair in the AMK.3 pouch). Might add one to the attache.

Blast, my cell phone uses a USB port so I can charge it from the laptop or a small AC/DC adapter I also keep in the attache. I do have a crank charger (Sidewinder). I also keep in the car a solar charger with 12 volt adapter to charge my radio, cell phone, etc. I add to that a 14 amp hour SLA battery I can also use to run everything.

BTW, a ham radio license is not hard to get, you no longer need to know Morse code. A very compact and useful 2 meter HT (handie talkie) can be had for less than $150. And in a catastrophic event ham operators are more likely than not to stay on the air since ham radio is a point-to-point communcations systems, not a networked one like cell phones.

Edited by Andy (09/19/07 06:58 PM)

#106327 - 09/19/07 08:23 PM Re: EDC Kit contents, your comments please! [Re: Andy]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I agree, the Gerber Infinity Ultra is a great little light. Simple, very reliable and fairly easy on its battery.

#106357 - 09/20/07 12:04 AM Re: EDC Kit contents, your comments please! [Re: Rio]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Check out the Fenix L1D CE model. It runs 9 lumens/24hrs to 90 lumens/1.5hrs for the 1 AA model. They are about 4x the cost for either 1AA/2AA but can handle more jobs too. 9 lumens handles everything I use for EDC with the option for a LOT more light. Fenix L1D CE

#106374 - 09/20/07 02:22 AM Re: EDC Kit contents, your comments please! [Re: UTAlumnus]
DeathtoToasters Offline

Loc: Southern California
Where abouts did you get that bag?

I ahve tried searching but have not had any luck.

"All Hail the Power of Bauer"

"Only the Paranoid Survive" - Andy Grove

"Why is it called the American Dream? Because you have to be ASLEEP to believe it!" - George Carlin

#106377 - 09/20/07 02:28 AM Re: EDC Kit contents, your comments please! [Re: Andy]
CBTENGR Offline

Just a thought on 550 cord...I EDC about three feet on my key chain that I've braided. I learned it in Boy Scouts years back and it is a great way to conceal it and minimize space. Here is a good link: http://armyadvice.org/blogs/armysteve/articles/9736.aspx

You don't need to remove the inner strands to make it work.

#106394 - 09/20/07 03:08 AM Re: EDC Kit contents, your comments please! [Re: Rio]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
The Infinity is very good, I've EDCed mine for about a year and half and my only concern is the loss of finish- they used cheap anodizing. *shrugs* With a fresh battery, it is very bright for its size. Not as bright as the Fenix, but I can't see a drop in brightness for about 2, maybe 3 hours, and it's usable for quite a bit after that. I think I'm on my third battery in it.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#106415 - 09/20/07 11:20 AM Re: EDC Kit contents, your comments please! [Re: DeathtoToasters]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

DTT:
The bag is from County Comm (www.countycomm.com). They have a weird mix of stuff and I've purchased a bunch of different things from them including some really cheap LED lights, padded pouches, and energy bars.

CBTENGR:
I could try doing that for a year and would never master it. I'm missing that knot-tying, weaving, crocheting gene.

I did put 15' of 550 inside the shoulder strap pad on the attache case. That gives me about 25' total.

Need to find a poncho that fits the case and doesn't weigh too much. I do keep rain jacket and pants in the car.
Andy

#106420 - 09/20/07 12:41 PM Re: EDC Kit contents, your comments please! [Re: Andy]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi Andy,

That looks a great setup. Looks like a lot of thought has gone into the setup. Jack Baur would be proud. Any chance of a full review of the Kenwood F6A tri-band ham radio with speaker mike.

Communications seem to be very important in your setup with multiple methods, but that means lots of heavy electronics and batteries. The Maratac Extreme Attaché is very 'Tacticool' but is it up to the job i.e. is it very waterproof to protect all those electronics and is there a method to carry this case comfortably for extended periods if you need to hike out or hike in during an 'urban catastrophe'. Also could the Maratac Extreme case not generate some unwanted attention from policing and internal security forces especially during a civil emergency.
Ortlieb have a new waterproof backpack you may find interesting at http://www.ortlieb.de/_prod.php?lang=en&produkt=track#

There is quite a bit of duplication on the folding knifes. Something like a non folding Fallkniven Mod F1 may better suit a survival situation. I would also replace the Maglite and flashing flare with a Fenix Digital P3D RB100 Black Premium 100 together with a Diffuser Tip. This would give an area light, SOS signalling and an extremely powerful 200 Lumen Beam. A small signalling mirror may be useful also for daytime signalling as it weighs virtually nothing.

Some other possible additions may incude;

A folding canteen such as 3lt/96fl oz Naglene Folding water bottle etc
A Steripen adventurer.
Sunglasses.
An Umbrella, Golite or Vaude type.
A toothbrush and toothpaste combo - http://www.tadgear.com/x-treme%20gear/accessories%20main/travel_tooth_brush.htm
Small personal care kit - i.e. Shaving Oil, Razor, Small bar of Soap, travel sized Shampoo bottle, Sunblock, Aftersun etc.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (09/20/07 12:44 PM)

#106440 - 09/20/07 04:38 PM Re: EDC Kit contents, your comments please! [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
+1 on the Fenix L1D-CE

#106444 - 09/20/07 05:14 PM Re: EDC Kit contents, your comments please! [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks for the kind words and the suggestions.

The Kenwood is a great radio, dual channels (can scan two bands at the same time) wide band receive (FM, AM, SW, USB, LSB). I can also use it to cross band repeat to the Kenwood D700 in my car. Milspec rugged. Mike works well and has 3 function keys linked to pre-programmed operations. Radio is pc-programmable.

The bag is weather resistant (closed cell padding) but probably not waterproof. That's why I'm looking for a poncho to cover me and it.

You're right about about the carry system, does anyone know of accessory straps that could be used to carry this kind of case over both shoulders? I do have my BOB, which I carry in the car, in a very good dayback. I could throw the key stuff from the attache into that.

As far as attention from officials, not worried, my federal ID badge should handle that.

You're right about the knives but a fixed blade knife in my neck of the woods raises eyebrows. I did buy a Fallkniven WM1 fixed blade for my daughter who lives in Alaska. That's a nice one.

Additional water capability is something I'm looking into. I do carry one pouch of MainStay water in the bag as part of my FAK. Figure it would do in a pinch to wash out an eye or clean out a wound. Better than water from my bottle.

The Fenix would be nice, but gotta work up to that as budget allows. I do have a GloToob light which works much the same way.

Signal mirror is in the DR PSK. I do carry a tooth brush/paste combo item. If there's an emergency I just may forgo shaving! The med kits have bug and sun wipes.

(a great source for individually packaged products like wipes, aspirin, etc. is www.minimus.biz)

Thanks for your thoughtful response, I will take your suggestions to heart.

Andy

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.