Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#106302 - 09/19/07 05:57 PM drowsiness while driving your car
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

Has anyone experience drowsiness while driving your car?

I constantly have drowsiness when I drive my car greater than 40mins. The car engine droning noise cause me to fall asleep.

How do you guys cope with this drowsiness problem? Do you drink coffee?

#106308 - 09/19/07 06:48 PM Re: drowsiness while driving your car [Re: picard120]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I've had this problem most of my adult life.

Usually it is by sheer will that I keep from falling asleep.

Now I use a rubber band, or I think about Baghdad, or in the extreme cases I pull over and take a break.

#106334 - 09/19/07 08:46 PM Re: drowsiness while driving your car [Re: benjammin]
frostbite Offline

Loc: TN
I use music. If it's cool weather rolling down the window and getting a blast of air in the face also helps. It may sound odd but chewing on strong flavored gum also seems to help a little.

#106346 - 09/19/07 10:37 PM Re: drowsiness while driving your car [Re: frostbite]
drahthaar Offline

Have you considered that you might have a sleeping problem, like sleep apnea or something?

You might want to see a doctor. I did and it changed my life.

#106347 - 09/19/07 10:41 PM Re: drowsiness while driving your car [Re: frostbite]
LED Offline
Veteran

We hired a taxi in Europe years ago for a 7 hour trip (long story). Anyway, we stopped along the way to eat and offered to pay his meal and he refused pretty much saying a slight hunger would help keep him awake. And of course that a big meal makes you sleepy. I never forgot that and its worked for me ever since (with a little coffee of course.) Not to starve yourself but try not eating a big meal before you drive.

#106356 - 09/19/07 11:57 PM Re: drowsiness while driving your car [Re: drahthaar]
frostbite Offline

Loc: TN
I am an almost lifelong insomniac and have seen a doc. It has improved lately, and I feel much better than I used to, it's just too soon for me to be overly optimistic.

(For those who might be wondering, I refused to drive in a seriously impaired condition.)

#106362 - 09/20/07 01:02 AM Re: drowsiness while driving your car [Re: picard120]
Matt26 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Vermont
Make sure you have no holes in the car, could be carbon monoxide making you sleepy. Especially if it happens every time you drive. Are you getting headaches?

#106382 - 09/20/07 02:38 AM Re: drowsiness while driving your car [Re: picard120]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Do whatever it takes to fix this problem. No matter what the police reports say, driver fatigue is probably the number one cause of solo vehicle traffic collisions (and I should know, I worked about a jillion solo rollovers on I-5). In my younger days I used to drive much longer than I should have; I rolled the window down, sang to the radio (thank goodness no one could hear me), and often stopped to walk around and spash water in my face to stay awake...

#106447 - 09/20/07 05:26 PM Re: drowsiness while driving your car [Re: OldBaldGuy]
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
No matter what the police reports say, driver fatigue is probably the number one cause of solo vehicle traffic collisions.

Amen! The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration conservatively [my emphasis] estimates that 100,000 police-reported crashes are the direct result of driver fatigue each year. This results in an estimated 1,550 deaths, 71,000 injuries, and $12.5 billion in monetary losses. These figures may be the tip of the iceberg, since currently it is difficult to attribute crashes to sleepiness.

(Scary) stats from DrowsyDriving.org:

60% of adult drivers – about 168 million people – say they have driven a vehicle while feeling drowsy in the past year, and more than one-third, (37% or 103 million people), have actually fallen asleep at the wheel!

Men are more likely than women to drive while drowsy (56% vs. 45%) and are almost twice as likely as women to fall asleep while driving (22% vs. 12%).

People who sleep six to seven hours a night are twice as likely to be involved in such a crash as those sleeping 8 hours or more, while people sleeping less than 5 hours increased their risk four to five times.

A study...in Australia showed that being awake for 18 hours produced an impairment equal to a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of .05, and .10 after 24 hours; .08 is considered legally drunk.

• This will wake you up: Several drowsy driving incidents have resulted in jail sentences for the driver. Multi-million dollar settlements have been awarded to families of crash victims as a result of lawsuits filed against individuals as well as businesses whose employees were involved in drowsy driving crashes.

Their suggested countermeasures. My personal "countermeasure" — a wife who talks incessantly, especially if she thinks I'm getting drowsy while driving grin

Here's a commercial "gadget," the Driver Alert Master, although I'd rather practice prevention and not rely on something that kicks in after I've nodded off. Better than nothing maybe, but a) what if you don't activate it, and b) there's the danger of "over-correcting" after being startled awake.

#106451 - 09/20/07 05:42 PM Re: drowsiness while driving your car [Re: xbanker]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
I think the best countermeasure is to know your own personal limitations and warning signs.

Ferinstance, I know that when I'm driving at night and lights start to *hurt* my eyes I'm getting dangerous. It starts with oncoming headlights, then streetlights, traffic lights. When the reflection of my own headlights off of signs starts to hurt...

Also, when that little voice says "Just close your eyes for one little second, you can open them again, just for a second, its ok..."

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.