Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#106099 - 09/18/07 03:15 AM Re: RSK Sharpening issue [Re: Stretch]
Ors Offline
Namu (Giant Tree)
Addict

Loc: Florida, USA
I don't think I've let the edge dull much. Usually when I notice that it doesn't cut things with very little effort, I touch it up. I guess I'm just confused as to why all of a sudden I can't get it that sharp again.

And by the way...I use it to shave LEG hair wink

But seriously, I tried the Sharpie idea on an Emerson CQC7, and most of the marker is still there. The Sharpmaker seems to be dulling the edge there...not sharpening it.

I had looked at The Razor's Edge a long time ago...maybe it is time to invest in it. Speaking of which, I've been thinking of getting an Edge Pro sharpener too...but don't have the cash at the moment. Anyone have opinions on the Edge Pro?

I've hacked away on my Becker Necker with the Sharpmaker, and it doesn't seem to do much good. For those suggesting continuing with the Sharpmaker, should I keep alternating between the coarse and fine stones, or work with the coarse until the edge shapes up? Maybe I'll end up sending it in.

So for EDC utility blades, what's your test for judging if it's sharp enough?

#106128 - 09/18/07 01:06 PM Re: RSK Sharpening issue [Re: Ors]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Go coarse only until you reestablish the edge, then progress up to very fine. Since you need it to push cut, I'd take it as fine as the sharpening system you have allows.

#106145 - 09/18/07 03:41 PM Re: RSK Sharpening issue [Re: Russ]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I've been noodling this since I first read the post yesterday.

I agree that you should stick to course until you start feeling and edge. Alternating doesn't really help at all.

Is M2 steel really harder than the Sharpmaker's ceramic sticks? - or at least that close to the hardness of the sticks? I wouldn't think so.

Like Stretch suggested, rather than investing in another sharpening system maybe its time to invest in some diamond sticks for your Sharpmaker. I've used mine mostly when getting a fast edge on really dull stainless steel knives, but it might help you with the M2.

#106154 - 09/18/07 04:53 PM Re: RSK Sharpening issue [Re: KenK]
Ors Offline
Namu (Giant Tree)
Addict

Loc: Florida, USA
The thing is that the blade feels smooth as glass when it's going over the stones. So it doesn't feel like the stones are taking off any metal.

I was looking at another system to work on other things...axes, hachets, etc.

Maybe diamonds are a sharpeners best friend...

#106155 - 09/18/07 05:05 PM Re: RSK Sharpening issue [Re: Ors]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
It could be your stones are bound up with metal and require reconditioning.

Pete

#106166 - 09/18/07 06:18 PM Re: RSK Sharpening issue [Re: Ors]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Best sharpener for any straight edged Benchmade is a Fallkniven D4 diamond ceramic sharpener. Followed up by a quick strop on a leather belt. I do all my knives with it.

Did a little demo today at work involving a Benchmade 721 (Mel Pardue design) Axis lock, 154CM steel and a sheet of A4 copier paper. Sliced it right across, edge to edge, Rambo fashion. Using fingertip pressure on the knife.

I was demonstrating that a properly prepared knife is a lot sharper, more durable and safer than the Stanley (craft) knives that most of them use.

If the knife ain't sharp the paper will buckle rather than cut.

#106221 - 09/19/07 02:52 AM Re: RSK Sharpening issue [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
I'm thinking of a couple of things:
- The Sharpmaker rods may be clogged. I wash them in the sink with warm water and Comet like the video suggests. I use a nylon scrub pad with the Comet on it. Inbetween cleanings I've been wiping them with Hoppes #9 and sometimes with Simple Green on a shop towel. The Hoppes leaves an odor (that happens to be ok by me but not by my wife). Another thing that works well is the Mr Clean sponges you can find at Home Depot.

- Your angle is possibly wrong....that's why the sharpie is recommended. When you're stroking the blade with light pressure, you should be able to feel the edge being ground against the stone. I'm guessing you're sharpening the shoulder of the edge...as opposed to the edge of the edge smile Improper angle or clogged stones. Or both.

Each to his own, but I still recommend sticking with the Sharpmaker (since it's a bird-in-hand right now). I don;t think it's the device that's failing you. Keep trying....clean stones and increase angle. Good luck

#106224 - 09/19/07 02:55 AM Re: RSK Sharpening issue [Re: Stretch]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
One more thing if it's ok. Until you get used to the edge on that knife, don;t use the flats of the rods. Use only the corners. Once you find the magic that THAT particular blade needs, you can try the flats. Me? I rarely use them.

#106528 - 09/21/07 12:29 PM Re: RSK Sharpening issue [Re: paramedicpete]
williamlatham Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Stafford, VA, USA
I have the mini in m2 as well as the sharpmaker as well. The only angle I use is the 30 deg inclusive. I start with the edge of the fine and finish with the flats of the fine. The rods are harder than the steel and you can feel the change in surface texture as you go. I can keep the edge shaving sharp, but it will loose it with use. A good compromise for me as I only need to touch it up on occasion.

Different subject, has anyone else had a problem with the pivot screw getting too loose on the RSK mini? I have to tighten it every so often to take out the play in the blade. There is a sweet spot between the scales locked tight and the blade being able to fall open by gravity with the lock disengaged. Trying to hone in on it so I can loctite the screw.

Bill

#106742 - 09/23/07 05:22 PM Re: RSK Sharpening issue [Re: Russ]
jamesraykenney Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Beaumont, TX USA
Originally Posted By: RAS
Not my idea. billym mentioned it first in the thread, but it's a Benchmade so the policy applies. Sounds to me like he let the knife get to dull and it just needs a new edge. I'd use the Sharpmaker and not go for an acute edge. Making the edge too thin is the reason so many knives won't hold their edge. Do you really need it to shave with? I see so many guys who reprofile the edge so that they can shave their arms, but is that a realistic requirement for an EDC utility blade?

You can get a shaving edge with almost any angle.

That is just edge refinment... And it will make the edge(whatever the angle) last longer.

He could convex it and make it last a long time too...

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.