Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#105994 - 09/17/07 04:08 PM Rucksack or daypack (closing system)
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Hi. What is the best closure system for watertightness in a simple rucksack/daypack? Is the drawstring main compartment with a "storm flap" over it of the classic rucksack better than the simpler zipper on the more civilian daypacks?

I would like to have suggestions for affordable daypacks. Do you know by any chance what is the model Michel Blomgren uses in his videos:

(Here he uses the drawstring to fasten his GI poncho to a tree to make a lean-to shelter. I guess one could replace the string with 550lb paracord)

I'm not sure about a Maxpedition bags, they are a bit too complex and tactical for my taste and not readily available in stores and not inexpensive either.

Thanks

#106012 - 09/17/07 05:06 PM Re: Rucksack or daypack (closing system) [Re: Frankie]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Zippers break. Cordage breaks. Which one can be fixed in the field? Keeping gear dry is as much forthought as technology. My rucksak is a robust, but simple German army unit with drawcord and flap. I further secure the contents, both for protection and organization in zip bags. If it rains hard I cover the sack with my poncho and head for cover. If you are carefull, there are many surplus units worth looking at. They must be listed as NEW or EXCELLENT condition. Avoid anything less and expect leather components to be junk. Some have very heavy and uncomforatble frames.

#106016 - 09/17/07 05:16 PM Re: Rucksack or daypack (closing system) [Re: Frankie]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

It depends on what kind of watertightness you're looking for, whether you're fully submerging the pack, or just looking to keep out rain. A lot of it is also dependent on the design and materials of the pack. Here are my experiences.

The most waterproof closure is the roll over type found on the dry bags, you just roll the top two or three time and buckle them together. There are a few packs that use this, but they're not all that convienent if you're accessing things a lot.

The top-loaders works really well in a vertical (standing) position, if it's not submerged. Usually theree's always an small opening at the drawstring, but that's usually covered by the flap. If submerged underwater though, water will pour in through there. If you get the larger bags with the extended collar, you could twist that around then fold it over and tie it off like a garbage bag, which makes it really waterproof, but access is a pain.

Zippers actually work really well too, when they're new. I've had my opsrey panel loader fully submerged underwater while swimming across a canyon pool, and the inside was almost completely dry (except for a few drops near the zipper opening). In a rain, they do pretty well, IF there's a good rain flap to cover them. Once they wear out though, water seeps through pretty easily.

Most packs aren't designed to be waterproof. Even with the best closure, water will still get in through the seams and material. A good raincover will do a lot to keep things dry though. If it's absolutely critical to keep things dry, don't depend on the pack to do it, put your items in a dry bag inside the backpack.

#106020 - 09/17/07 05:30 PM Re: Rucksack or daypack (closing system) [Re: ducktapeguy]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I have a Camelbak BFM pack,I went on a night hike which it ended up raining cats & dogs, the contents of the pack remained dry, all the compartments on the BFM are zippered. I do have some items in dry bags just in case. Just remember I'm saying in the rain not submerged in water. Also as far as affordable packs go, Military surplus is always cheap esp through this place. http://stores.ebay.com/A-Z-Army-Navy-Military-Surplus which I have purchased from, they are 10 min from me, the link I gave is for their Ebay store, if you look at their auctions on Ebay most of the time things are a little cheaper than in the store. Also Ebay in general sometimes has good deals on packs, I just watched a like new Maxpedition FatBoy go for 43 bucks as opposed to 65 for a new one.

Shadow Out !!!

Edited by Shadow_oo00 (09/17/07 05:39 PM)

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#106027 - 09/17/07 06:27 PM Re: Rucksack or daypack (closing system) [Re: ducktapeguy]
Katie Offline
Journeyman

The poor-man backpacker's solution to this is lining your backpack with a heavy-duty garbage bag and then twisting the top shut before closing up your bag. This will keep your clothes and sleeping bag dry unless you throw your pack in a river. I use this technique along with a standard rain cover for redundancy, and hey, you never know when you might need that trash bag for something else. Things that absolutely can't get wet (electronics, etc.) go in a separate fully watertight case. I think I'm going to move to Aloksaks for this purpose.

As an aside, I _did_ throw my day pack with no waterproofing in a river once. It was retrieved in less than 10 seconds, and surprisingly, the contents were bone-dry. My friends still won't let me live that one down. blush

Edited by Katie (09/17/07 06:28 PM)

#106033 - 09/17/07 06:54 PM Re: Rucksack or daypack (closing system) [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Matt26 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Vermont
I have to echo Chris about surplus gear. For years I have used a medium alice pack and frame that I purchased from Majors Surplus. Really like the pack and never did find it all that uncomfortable. Still use it for cold weather day hikes due to extra clothing.

#106038 - 09/17/07 07:24 PM Re: Rucksack or daypack (closing system) [Re: Katie]
KevinB Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Katie
The poor-man backpacker's solution to this is lining your backpack with a heavy-duty garbage bag and then twisting the top shut before closing up your bag.

This works extremely well. I'll second this one.

Kevin B.

#106056 - 09/17/07 09:21 PM Re: Rucksack or daypack (closing system) [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
Zippers break. Cordage breaks. Which one can be fixed in the field?
Yes that's a good point and will keep it in mind, thanks all for the replies.

#106094 - 09/18/07 02:25 AM Re: Rucksack or daypack (closing system) [Re: Matt26]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Keep in mind with military packs, at least the ALICE types, that for real waterproofness they used liner bags, thick rubberized type stuff, that you put into the pack, stuffed your goodies into, then tied closed. Without them, an ALICE is just water resistant...

#106097 - 09/18/07 02:43 AM Re: Rucksack or daypack (closing system) [Re: OldBaldGuy]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi OBG,

What is an ALICE pack like to carry and use?

The only military pack I have carried is the Canadian '82 pattern.

Mike

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 428 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by M_a_x
1 second ago
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.