Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#105872 - 09/16/07 06:32 PM Re: Propane Storage....let's hear everyones ideas. [Re: TomP]
TomP Offline
Journeyman

#105887 - 09/16/07 08:38 PM Re: Propane Storage....let's hear everyones ideas. [Re: ]
DeathtoToasters Offline

Loc: Southern California
Izzy,

I guess I am going off of personal experience. In 1993, if I remember correctly, there was a 7.4 earthquake and the epicenter was 60 miles from my home.

I remember specifically that there was an announcement on the news that we were, if possible, to shut off gas and water valves until further , they said it was only a few hours, to minimize any possible leak issues.

So I am thinking of those past experiences. I am not sure if it is fortunately or unfortunately but I am really only subjected to one major natural disaster, Earthquakes. So I am not really worried about hurricanes, tornadoes, Tsunami, Locust, Frogs from the Sky, etc.

I have my (3) 5 gallon Justrite cans. So that is 15 gallons. The generator should have 15 gallons already in it. Then my wife and I have implemented a new rule, always fill the cars when they are down to half a tank. With that in mind, my car should have 10 with a half a tank, and the other 13.
So I should have a total of 53 gallons of fuel on hand for the generator at all times.

I guess I don't trust anything that will be under the ground when the ground is the thing I am most worried about smile

I really do appreciate all your help.

BTW I heard that the 15k and 17.5k don't actually put out that wattage. The most it will put out is 12k. Ummm....what happens to the rest of the wattage?

"All Hail the Power of Bauer"

"Only the Paranoid Survive" - Andy Grove

"Why is it called the American Dream? Because you have to be ASLEEP to believe it!" - George Carlin

#105890 - 09/16/07 09:31 PM Re: Propane Storage....let's hear everyones ideas. [Re: DeathtoToasters]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Originally Posted By: DeathtoToasters
… Then my wife and I have implemented a new rule, always fill the cars when they are down to half a tank. With that in mind, my car should have 10 with a half a tank, and the other 13.
So I should have a total of 53 gallons of fuel on hand for the generator at all times.

Do not count on being able to get at the gasoline inside the vehicles’ tanks unless you know from first-hand experience that a siphon hose will successfully enter the tank without being blocked. Most newer-model cars have an anti-siphon device that blocks any siphon hose from getting to the fuel.

#105897 - 09/16/07 10:22 PM Re: Propane Storage....let's hear everyones ideas. [Re: ]
DeathtoToasters Offline

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
I don't know who told you they won't put out that wattage, but they're wrong.

As you know Generators have two wattage ratings. Running (In this case 15,000 and 17,500 watts) watts which is the constant output. Then you have Surge (Something like 22,500 in both, I think) which the engine can briefly put out to "jump start" high voltage appliances like Air Conditioners.

People assume that a 62.5 amp (15,000 watt) generator with a 50 amp rated plug can only put out 50 amps through that plug. In reality it can put out as much as it wants. Most plugs that're 30 or 50 amp on generators have their own breakers on it and the breakers are usually rated at at least 80 amp so the plug can pass on the surge wattage to the appliances wired to the generator.

They just call them 20 amp, 30 amp and 50 amp plugs because that's what traditionally that plug size runs and/or has been officially rated to run years ago.

Here is where I got that information....and they dealer seems to acknowledge the issue..

http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/...;reviews_id=224

"Why is it called the American Dream? Because you have to be ASLEEP to believe it!" - George Carlin

#105898 - 09/16/07 10:23 PM Re: Propane Storage....let's hear everyones ideas. [Re: JCWohlschlag]
DeathtoToasters Offline

Originally Posted By: JCWohlschlag
… Then my wife and I have implemented a new rule, always fill the cars when they are down to half a tank. With that in mind, my car should have 10 with a half a tank, and the other 13.

Do not count on being able to get at the gasoline inside the vehicles’ tanks unless you know from first-hand experience that a siphon hose will successfully enter the tank without being blocked. Most newer-model cars have an anti-siphon device that blocks any siphon hose from getting to the fuel.

Actually I was just going to use a rusty drill bit to make a hole in the tank!

J/K smile

Very good point, I have heard of this before, but didn't think about it till now.

Something to think about.

Have you heard of any solutions to this?

Edited by DeathtoToasters (09/16/07 10:25 PM)

#105907 - 09/16/07 11:07 PM Re: Propane Storage....let's hear everyones ideas. [Re: ]
DeathtoToasters Offline

How was your price in comparison to the one on that link?

and I need to make sure that it has a 70 amp fuse...not 50?

Edited by DeathtoToasters (09/16/07 11:09 PM)

#105912 - 09/16/07 11:26 PM Re: Propane Storage....let's hear everyones ideas. [Re: DeathtoToasters]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Have you heard of any solutions to this?

I’ve heard of several, actually. Which one would work best for you is up to you.
  • Drill a hole in the gas tank, as you mentioned.
  • Use the drain plug in the bottom of the tank, if your car has one (only on some cars, and most all of those are imports).
  • Disconnect the gas tank from the filler tube and insert your siphon hose directly into the gas tank. I can’t comment on how difficult this might be, but one of my friends who works in a junk yard informed me of this method.
  • Hook a hose up to the fuel injection rail’s test port (if equipped) and activate the fuel pump (best by jumping the connectors for the fuel pump relay, so you can stop the flow when ready).
  • Get a commercial solution that utilizes the method above, such as the EZ-FUEL.

Edited by JCWohlschlag (09/16/07 11:45 PM)
Edit Reason: Added a couple.

#105915 - 09/16/07 11:46 PM Re: Propane Storage....let's hear everyones ideas. [Re: ]
DeathtoToasters Offline

How was your price in comparison to the one on that link?

and I need to make sure that it has a 70 amp fuse...not 50?

I paid 1,995.95 or so at Lowes. Even if comes with a 50 amp fuse you can get an electrician to put a 70 on it for pennies.

So this one?

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=124742-24212-4987&lpage=none

So is the 50 amp fuse in the generator itself or the transfer switch?

#105921 - 09/17/07 12:24 AM Re: Propane Storage....let's hear everyones ideas. [Re: ]
DeathtoToasters Offline

That's the one, Death. It should be 50 Amp ON the generator and 50 Amp on the breaker. To safely use a transfer switch you gotta have at least two breakers.

Something easy enough for me to do?

From the docs it looks like the one on the underside middle (the one that attaches to the transfer power inlet box) and the one on the power inlet box.

That sound about right?

#105923 - 09/17/07 12:27 AM Re: Propane Storage....let's hear everyones ideas. [Re: DeathtoToasters]
DeathtoToasters Offline

BTW is there an item to hookup in between to show the actual watts being drawn from the generator? Just for information and to make sure I don't overload it by mistake?

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 341 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.