Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#105948 - 09/17/07 03:51 AM Re: food and shelter in car kit (rations / bivvy b [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
I bet he's listening to Celine Dion's greatest hits.

I still prefer this to Britney Spear's Gimme More...

#105984 - 09/17/07 02:10 PM Re: food and shelter in car kit (rations / bivvy b [Re: Frankie]
mgjscdhl Offline
Stranger

Loc: canada
I'm lucky enough to never heard or seen that one. But I think both would be equally painfull, especially that titanic song on a loop. lol

#105995 - 09/17/07 04:14 PM Re: food and shelter in car kit (rations / bivvy b [Re: Frankie]
Katie Offline
Journeyman

Man, I hope they're using carbon dioxide, and not carbon monoxide for their fire suppression systems. smile They'll both kill you if they displace all the oxygen in the room, but CO is much nastier.

#106010 - 09/17/07 04:57 PM Re: food and shelter in car kit (rations / bivvy b [Re: benjammin]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
Originally Posted By: benjammin
For car storage, I would want something like a 0 degree sleeping bag and lots of water. I might not want to cook anything, but it would be nice to have a way to heat things up, so some chem heat reactors would be nice. Cans of spanish peanuts have lots of food energy in them, and seem to store well hot or cold. Spam also seems to do well in vehicles. Packages of Ramen noodles seem to last forever and also seem to do well regardless of temp. You've got all that space, you should be able to capitalize on it better than just a couple bags of jerky and some candy. I could imagine packing supplies enough to last a couple weeks in some of the worst conditions, with the ability to signal rescuers really well, and still not be overly encumbered.

If we're still talking cold weather, storing water in a car is a problem, 'cause sooner or later you're going to have a canteen/bottle/hydration bladder full of ice. Our winters here involve plenty of ice and snow, so there's usually plenty of that just outside the car if you get stuck. What you need is a means of melting it that doesn't reduce your core temperature. I keep a Nuwick emergency candle in the car. I can use a pop can, Altoids tin, or the cup from my car emergency kit to melt snow. The Nuwick also brings up the temperature in an enclosed space a little bit.

I also keep a poncho liner, 2 military ponchos and sportsman's blanket rolled up together in the back all year long. I put a Mainstay 3-day ration pack in the car emergency kit for food. The kit also has plenty of fire-starting gear, tinder, whistle, compass, mirror, flashlight, spare knife, small FAK, etc. I also throw a wool hat, wool socks and a heavy pair of wool mittens in the back, and this year I'm going to add my old insulated boots (as soon as DW buys me the new ones for Christmas). And, of course, my trusty short-handled snow shovel and a bag of sand.

I consider the above a minimum winter-emergency car preparedness kit (I always have my cell phone with me). In a perfect world I'd add another ration pack, a couple of wool blankets, snowshoes, a set of winter coveralls, flares, an axe, a pistol and a handheld CB radio with extra batteries. For one reason or the other (usually the other), I haven't added them yet.

Frank2135, who sometimes thinks that global warming wouldn't be an entirely bad thing...

#106014 - 09/17/07 05:08 PM Re: food and shelter in car kit (rations / bivvy b [Re: Katie]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Actually I don't remember exactly, maybe you're right and it's carbon dioxide.

#106073 - 09/18/07 12:06 AM Re: food and shelter in car kit (rations / bivvy b [Re: mgjscdhl]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I still think Peggy Lee singing Snowbirds and the Old Dominion flag were winners.

#106086 - 09/18/07 01:51 AM Re: food and shelter in car kit (rations / bivvy b [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Didn't Anne Murray sing "Snowbirds" and I am to young to remember the Dominion flag.

Mike

#106088 - 09/18/07 02:06 AM Re: food and shelter in car kit (rations / bivvy b [Re: Frankie]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I'm a little confused (not all that uncommon these days). Heavier than air, so it goes down. What if the fire is overhead???

#106090 - 09/18/07 02:07 AM Re: food and shelter in car kit (rations / bivvy b [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Ah, Peggy, from Lady and the Tramp...

#106191 - 09/19/07 12:20 AM What's in there now (aka. car kit) [Re: OldBaldGuy]
mgjscdhl Offline
Stranger

Loc: canada
this is what I have so far. What do you all think of my "half-as**d car kit"? <-- no, it's prob not the greatest!

all season: water 4l, tire sealer, tow cable, pump, maps, boosters, charger (phone), flashlight /w batteries, psk (fire-starting, tinder and more tinder, whistle, saw, compass, puri tabs, mirror), small fak (/w meds -- headaches, stomach, allergies), swiss army, bandana, paracord, mess kit, poncho and teepee for my bunghole (more tinder), pen/pencil, paper.

winter: blanket, wool socks, extra mittens, 3x tea candles, shovel, sweater, baclava.. never removed them this year

I've bought some protein bars, candy, rice, powdered milk and some soup mixes for now. Gonna fortify it before winter comes though and prob get some space blankets or 2 person bivvy too. Everything is either glade(d) or waterproof bags.

oldbaldguy: I did not know that she was in lady.... course, its been years since I've seen that movie.What

Edited by mgjscdhl (09/19/07 12:22 AM)

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 429 Guests and 467 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.