Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#105725 - 09/15/07 03:25 AM Hot Glue Stick in a Personal/Pocket Survival Kit?
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
I just realized that I’ve seen hot glue sticks mentioned numerous times in the contents list of several people’s personal/pocket survival kits (albeit not really on this forum). Each time I’ve seen them mentioned, I kind of shined them on and didn’t really think about it or question it. I just saw another one mentioned, and this time, I wonder why.

What is the purpose of containing pieces of hot glue stick in a personal/pocket survival kit? I know that glue can be a very versatile tool, e.g. super gluing a small wound closed, but what are the advantages and versatilities of a hot glue stick. Are they easily used for any purpose without the hot glue gun (which I sure as hell am not putting in a PSK)?

Maybe I’m just not being very imaginative, but I don’t get it. confused

#105727 - 09/15/07 03:49 AM Re: Hot Glue Stick in a Personal/Pocket Survival K [Re: JCWohlschlag]
frostbite Offline

Loc: TN
I used a hot glue gun very briefly and would never use one again. The glue becomes too brittle after awhile, and comes off again too easily. Other crafters mentioned the same problem so I tossed the gun.

#105729 - 09/15/07 03:58 AM Re: Hot Glue Stick in a Personal/Pocket Survival Kit? [Re: JCWohlschlag]
CBTENGR Offline

I think we may both have been looking at the same sites recently. My idea would be that you cut the glue stick into a small dime size and put it in your EDC. I have tried using the hot glue guns to repair picture frames, broken Christmas decorations, etc. They are so messy and don't hold anything together well. I could find many other things that I could use that space for in an EDC. Now I could see carrying a small tube of non-toxic super glue in a FAK. It's basically the same thing they use to close wounds in the ER. Especially on the hands and face. Plus super glue works a lot better at keeping other day to day things together.

#105736 - 09/15/07 05:19 AM Re: Hot Glue Stick in a Personal/Pocket Survival Kit? [Re: CBTENGR]
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
Survival Kit no, but I do have a piece of Hot Glue stick in my field repair kits. I ahve used hot glue to repair a tent pole using a repair sleeve and even to temporailly reglue my boot tread. For multi-day backpacking it is a good light item to have, but it would never be in my first line gear... too much more important stuff to carry.

#105741 - 09/15/07 09:30 AM Re: Hot Glue Stick in a Personal/Pocket Survival K [Re: JCWohlschlag]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Proper glueing requires good cleaning of the involved surfaces. So most glues wont work too well in the field anyway. Hot glue is no exeption. If you practice with a lighter it is not very hard to use. The temperature of the glue is essential. Too cold and it wont stick, too hot and it will pyrolyze and not stick either. The temperature of the glue can be estimated by judging the clearness (that what takes practicing). One major advantage of hot glue is that it is solid and can be kept in small chunks. I still think it is not worth the effort to carry it.
BTW: The super glue should not be used to close small wounds in the field. There are too many risks envolved in doing so. When you do a little search on this subject you´ll find that especially members with medical background strongly advise against closing wounds in the field.

#105754 - 09/15/07 02:23 PM Re: Hot Glue Stick in a Personal/Pocket Survival K [Re: frostbite]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Me too. I have never had hot glue work work a tinkers damn. My wife has had pretty good luck with one, but not enough for us to bother carrying one around in our home on wheels, so I would never bother to put a stick in my kits...

#105765 - 09/15/07 06:26 PM Re: Hot Glue Stick in a Personal/Pocket Survival K [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Glue sticks are best reserved for longer term survival kits.

If you get into a situation in which rescue will not occur within 72hrs, or you have reason to believe that you will not be rescued i.e. 72hrs have past, and you think that your now MPD then you have to initiate your self rescue techniques. That means tools and weapons.

As a practical matter you need a bow with arrows, fishing spear and a decent hunting spear. To manufacture any of them you need glue.

In traditional bushcraft glue is obtained from the sinews of animals.

However, in order to obtain the glue you need to shoot or spear your animal first.

That is where your glue stick comes in. It gives you a small supply of ready made glue for the manufacture of your first set of weapons. Heated over a fire it gives you enough glue to hold a spearhead/arrowhead in place, Fletch an arrow, fit a nock etc.

If the glue is too brittle you can polymerase it by mixing it with ground charcoal from your fire. A technique that can also be used with pine resin. Another useful source of glue.

Edited by Leigh_Ratcliffe (09/15/07 06:38 PM)

#105808 - 09/16/07 02:51 AM Re: Hot Glue Stick in a Personal/Pocket Survival K [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Hike4Fun Offline
Journeyman

Any good links on comparison of glues?
I am wondering about their relative strengths.

What did various archers (of old) use? Hide glue,
tree resin glue?
I have not used them but think they take at least
24 hours to set up. Whereas heat-gun glue sets up
within an hour or less?

#105818 - 09/16/07 03:56 AM Re: Hot Glue Stick in a Personal/Pocket Survival K [Re: Hike4Fun]
CBTENGR Offline

Pine resin or animal fat mixed without charcoal from a fire was one way that primitive people made glue. I would rather spend more time studying up on natural solutions than carrying something made today that may or may not work.

#105831 - 09/16/07 10:18 AM Re: Hot Glue Stick in a Personal/Pocket Survival K [Re: Hike4Fun]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
The glue is only intended to hold your spear/arrowhead in place long enough for you to apply a binding.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 95 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.