Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#105560 - 09/13/07 07:07 PM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: Nomad]
JamesJ Offline
Stranger

Loc: Saskatoon, SK
Yup, I'm a lefty too. Works just fine for me, just have to watch my thumb position due to the small area for the front hand. But I'm sure a right would then have to watch all his fingers.

Haven't had any shells eject back at me like with some outher semis, they eject nicely straight out to the side.

#105601 - 09/14/07 12:09 AM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: JamesJ]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
Thanks for the "lefty" evaluation. Just placed an order for one. Total cost delivered will be about $250.00. I have seen it in some advertisements for $190. Add shipping, tax and FFL handling and I ended up with the $250 price.

I once fired a full automatic 45 cal open bolt weapon (grease gun) from the shoulder (left shoulder). It of course ejects to the right. Burned all the hair off my face. Good thing I was wearing goggles. Kinda makes one "gun shy" with non gas operated semi-automatics.

Local gunsmith will re-work the trigger and reduce the over 5 lb pull to around 3. Cost $20.

Should have it next week.

#105635 - 09/14/07 01:14 PM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: Nomad]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi Nomad,

This Marlin Papoose is the only semi-auto long-gun that I own, so I am new to the "spitting out debris from the action cycling" problem.

I shoot right-handed and wear perscription shooting glasses while at the range.

On my last trip with the Papoose I found that my persrciption glasses were interfering with my focus on the open iron sights of the rifle (I usually shoot with a scope) so I lowered my glasses for a 5 round group (I know, my bad). I did detect debris being ejected from the action with the spent case and since I was shooting in a very strong wind some of this material was being blown back into my face/eyes.

So when I was shooting after that I would trade my perscription glasses with my daughter for her clear safety glasses and I beat both the focusing and debris problem.

In summary I do not think the Papoose ejected any more debris than normal, just the windy conditions of the day made it a problem.

How this would effect a left-handed shooter I do not know, if I take the rifle hunting tomorrow (opening day for grouse where I live) I will rattle off a clip from the left shoulder and let you know.

Good Luck,

Mike

#105636 - 09/14/07 01:30 PM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: SwampDonkey]
JamesJ Offline
Stranger

Loc: Saskatoon, SK
In the 1200+ rounds I have put through mine I have noticed a little material eject only a few times, never enough to feel it burn my face. I have a feeling that ammo type will also play part in this, seemed to happen only with the federal stuff.

If there is one thing purchasing this little rifle has taught me is that with ammo (like so much in life), you get what you pay for. I won't be running any more federal rounds through it and I will only pack it for the field with good name, higher end shells.

I saw some talk on here about using Hyper velocity shells. The manual advises against them (as well as the standards), but I'm curious for more detrail in how people found they worked.

$20 to have the trigger weight dropped is very nice and a hell of an idea. If there is any complaint I have its the fact that I find the weight a touch high for a nice squeeze and I have to concentrate to avoid a pull (being such a light set-up).

Edited by JamesJ (09/14/07 01:32 PM)

#105639 - 09/14/07 01:57 PM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: JamesJ]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Hi James,

I do not remember which ammo I was using when I noticed the debris from the action of my Papoose, I was testing Remington, CCI and Federal that day.

I found that the sub-sonic ammo from both Remington and CCI shot the best in my Papoose, this is good because it is what I like to hunt edible small game with (low noise and does not distroy much meat). These slightly lower velocity (listed at 1050fps) rounds functioned fine through the rifle and were the most accurate.

The trigger on my Papoose could use improvement (heavy and creepy) but I figured I would try it this year before I would have a trigger job done. A trigger job would cost about $50.00 here but the gun shop is 200 miles from my home so I do not get there often.

Has anyone had the trigger on a Papoose tuned, what was the result like?

Thanks,

Mike

#105650 - 09/14/07 03:14 PM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: SwampDonkey]
Nomad Offline
Addict

There is a description of how to do trigger work on the rimfire forum

Rimfire Forum

Put papoose trigger in the search box. Lots of info there. If you are not a member, join as it is a very informative forum. Lots of info about the papoose there.

#105658 - 09/14/07 04:29 PM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: Nomad]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Hi Nomad,

Thanks for the link to the Rimfire Forum, I just spent an hour over there and it is a very interesting site.

Mike

#105788 - 09/16/07 12:09 AM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: Nomad]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Hi Nomad,

I just returned home from an afternoon of grouse hunting but since I saw no birds lets call it a "beautiful day for a 5 mile stroll in the woods".

I test fired the Papoose left-handed to see if there was any debris blowback from the action or hot casing on the right forearm problems.

There was only a slight wind and I felt no blowback at all, the spent casings all ejected straight sideways well over my extended right arm (I used both Remington and CCI shells). If I ever have to shoot something left-handed it better be close because my groups were terrible (not the rifles fault, I am right-handed).

The rifle was very light to carry, but I think in cold weather you will have to wear gloves because the balance point is on the cold metal magazine.

I noticed the rear sight was a little loose (it wanted to fold down) so I put a little epoxy on the hinge and it is now very solid.

So I had an enjoyable hike but I have yet to test the new Papoose on game, maybe tomorrow?

Mike

#105845 - 09/16/07 02:43 PM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: SwampDonkey]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Thanks SD. I should receive mine this week. Looking forward to it of course.

#106700 - 09/23/07 04:42 AM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: SwampDonkey]
fugitive Offline

Loc: The Great Pacific Northwest
The AR7 always struck me as fairly crude. I like the idea, but the stock was uncomfortable and I just wasn't impressed by the overall workmanship.

The Marlin papoose has always intrigued me. On the downside, as a kid, everyone I knew had a Marlin or Glenfield (poor man's Marlin) rifle. The were constantly jamming. Even my bolt action Glenfield would jam the first two rounds on a full mag. We referred to Marlin 22 autos as "Jam Masters". The accuracy is superb, but I just have a hard time feeling like I could rely on a Marlin .22 (that may not be fair, but the feeling is still there). Now Marlin's lever actions are a whole 'nuther thing. They are superb tools. They have a lever 22 that takes down and is worthy of consideration.

The Browing 22 auto is pure artwork. They are superb rifles. I would have a hard time putting one in a BOB. It belongs on the wall being admired, or carried in the field plinking critters.

For me the best solution for a compact rifle is the Ruger 10/22 CRR (compact rifle) in a folding stock. The Rugers are very reliable and have decent accuracy. Spare parts are available everywhere. The compact rifle (CRR) has a nice short 16 1/8" barrel. There are several options in folding stocks, but my favorite is made by Butler Creek (same stock pictured above by quietmike). They have blue steel or stainless steel versions.

The ruger mags are utterly reliable for feeding and are much better protected in the stock, than hanging out below like other mag styles.

One more thing... The 10/22 in a folding stock doesn't have to be assembled (or the stock extended) to go "bang".

I believe that survival tools should be kept simple and reliable and am a huge fan of reciever or express sights. The XS sights are just superb. http://www.xssights.com/store/rifle.html
With a bit of effort I'm sure I could find a suitable floating case for this package.

Good luck in your quest.

TR

Edited by pizzaman (09/23/07 04:46 AM)

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 416 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.