Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#105786 - 09/16/07 12:05 AM Re: New Rifle. Sagia 7.62x39 AK sporter. [Re: DougM]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
Originally Posted By: DougM
Why do you want such a light caliber?

I have owned a number of heavier caliber rifles. MI Garrand, 308's etc. I picked this rifle for a variety of reasons.

Reliability is high on the list. I have had several semi-automatic rifles (including the M1) give me problems when "mistreated". The AK design is about as reliable as it gets.

Much of the use of this rifle will be by others who are not "trained" or used to high power rifles. In many places in the world, kids are using it. It is simple to maintain and easy to learn. Plus ammo is cheap.... well it was... Going steadily up in price.

Much of my hunting in Maine was done under 100 yards. In fact I can not remember a kill over about 75. This will be plenty powerful for that.

I am retired on a fixed income. Can't afford to shoot the "big brass" stuff and can't keep reloading stuff in the RV. Not a good idea and it takes up a lot of room.

A relative in Maine (now about 70) bought a rifle when he was 17. He sighted it in then and threw it in the back seat of his pickup. Been there ever since. Outlasted a lot of trucks. Every year he gets a deer. Buys a box of shells about once in 10 years. Fires one test shot at the beginning of the season and another when he gets his deer. He shoots for meat. If I shot that way I could afford the "big brass" gun, but I shoot for meat, and for fun.

The garrand was a nice gun. However having it throw away a necessary part on the last shot bothers me. Those clips are getting harder to find. Way too powerful for me. 50 rounds on the range and my shoulder turned blue.

On a darker note, I am one of those guys who believes that there should be a rifle behind every kitchen door. But then I am from Maine and that may not be such a good idea elsewhere. During my Red Cross experience in New Orleans, I saw first hand what a breakdown in the social structure is like. I saw many a guy with a gun in his lap watching over his store, factory, house or neighborhood. In Florida, some areas were picked clean by looters. Should it come to that, I think this will be a suitable weapon. I can afford only one center fire rifle. It is always a trade-off. A gun is much like a knife. What suits one person may annoy another.

Besides I always wanted to play with Mr. K's gun. It truly is a remarkable design. So many little innovations.

I enjoyed all the comments. Thanks for responding.

#105794 - 09/16/07 12:43 AM Re: New Rifle. Sagia 7.62x39 AK sporter. [Re: RayW]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Ah, the .30 Carbine. Bought one thru the DCM a jillion years ago, cost $21 delivered. I loved that little guy, used it mainly on charging jack rabbits, with a 30 round mag it was a ball to shoot. Sold it to buy a Ruger Mini-14 (the 20GBF with folding stock, etc), which had more power, but was not as much fun to shoot...

#105822 - 09/16/07 04:49 AM Re: New Rifle. Sagia 7.62x39 AK sporter. [Re: DougM]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Originally Posted By: DougM
(the only thing a 7x39 would do to a bear would be to make it EXTREMELY angry).

ROFLMAO! That statement is as humorous as reading Jeff Cooper on 9mm. And about as full of it.

7.62x39mm is equivalent to .30-30 in terms of effective range, general accuracy and kinetic energy. Where it is superior to the .30-30 is the ability to use spitzer tip bullets. .30-30 has taken as much game if not more than the .30-06, ranging from deer to hog to bear to moose. If you doubt it, there is a moose head in my parent's living room, and I know for a fact it was killed with a .30-30.

The only advantages that a larger .30 caliber round would give you, honestly, are improved accuracy, penetration of hard material and long range performance due to higher initial velocity. 3MOA works well enough for most things under 200m. In most situations, you aren't going to be shooting at game over 200m. And you aren't going to be trying to stop engine blocks or a water buffalo. But until you get out a ways, that higher speed isn't going to add anything in North America than polar or large brown bear. In CONUS, baring zoo escape, there's nothing in that class.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.