Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#105603 - 09/14/07 12:32 AM New Rifle. Sagia 7.62x39 AK sporter.
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
I just purchased a hunting version of the AK-47. Standard stock, no "bad" attachments. But the exact same internals as the AK-47. Made in Russia at the same factory with the same parts.

Same chrome barrel, same receiver, almost everything is the same. They changed the fire control group (trigger and release assembly) so that it can not easily be modified to full auto. They removed the pistol grip and moved the fire control group to the rear to accommodate the standard rifle stock.

Really a wolf in sheeps clothing.

Cost to me delivered was $269. Most military style AK's are in the 5-$700 range.

See it at
Stanley Pro Shop Saiga Rifle
Standard disclaimer for stanleys sport shop. I have no connection with them other than being a customer.

This is a "street legal" AK that was manufactured to comply with the now expired assault weapons ban. It is imported as a hunting rifle.

Mine is a pleasure to shoot and of course it has the legendary reliability of the AK series.

They also make it in .223, 308, 12ga, 20ga, 410 and probably others. Prices of course vary depending on the caliber.

If you are looking for a 30-30 powered semi-automatic, take a look at this one. A real good "bang for the buck" (sorry I could not resist) rifle.

#105607 - 09/14/07 01:44 AM Re: New Rifle. Sagia 7.62x39 AK sporter. [Re: Nomad]
Westwindmike Offline

Loc: Middle Tennessee
Nomad,
Very cool low profile rifle. Will it accept standard AK 30 round mags?

#105613 - 09/14/07 02:33 AM Re: New Rifle. Sagia 7.62x39 AK sporter. [Re: Westwindmike]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
These have been around a while. IIRC, the stock becomes a bipod.

FYI, they are NOT legal in California (big suprise), as they are semi-auto in a centerfire round.

#105622 - 09/14/07 05:15 AM Re: New Rifle. Sagia 7.62x39 AK sporter. [Re: Westwindmike]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
My understanding is nyet. People claim to have modified them to do so, but I wouldn't be comfortable with it.

Apparently Russian gun laws are just as screwy as ours are, and I know the Saigas were first made for their domestic market.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#105638 - 09/14/07 01:45 PM Re: New Rifle. Sagia 7.62x39 AK sporter. [Re: MDinana]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi,

Neat looking rifle but it would be a be classed as restricted or prohibited in Canada due to; it being an AK-47 variant, being a centrefire semi-auto with a barrel lenght less than 18" and being a centrefire semi-auto with a magazine capacity greater than 5 rounds.

Looks like a tough rifle though.

Mike

#105645 - 09/14/07 02:49 PM Re: New Rifle. Sagia 7.62x39 AK sporter. [Re: Nomad]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
The only downside is that they do not use standard AK magazines without some modification. Otherwise you need to buy the Saiga mags.
These have been popular here in CA because we still have a AW ban and this rifle is not on the list of banned weapons.

#105648 - 09/14/07 03:04 PM Re: New Rifle. Sagia 7.62x39 AK sporter. [Re: billym]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
Correct about the magazines. They are not interchangeable with the standard AK-47. I do not know the legal issues as I have no intention of modifying mine. However the modification appears trivial. Either the rifle or the mag. can be modified by grinding a small amount of material off. Also because most of the parts are the same as the AK-47, you can modify it to almost any configuration. I understand that there are some legal issues though. Something about 922r compliant.

There is no bipod on the forestock. You might be thinking of the KelTec series. I had one (SU-16) and got rid of it. I could change the point of impact (POI)depending on how I held it. I kept getting "fliers", up to 6" off point of aim. I finally put a laser in the barrel and noticed I could change the POI just by putting a slight sideways pressure on the forestock. Besides I think the 7.62x39 is a much better cartridge for my use.

It comes in many "flavors". There is a 21" bbl and I believe you can get magazines restricted to 5 rnds. to satisfy the tougher requirements of some jurisdictions. It is my understanding that it is not listed as an AK variant, but as a hunting rifle. But again, I am not really following the various legal aspects.

I also just bought a Marlin papoose. Both cost about the same. Go figure....

I just thought it was a good value for the $$.

#105654 - 09/14/07 03:54 PM Re: New Rifle. Sagia 7.62x39 AK sporter. [Re: MDinana]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
MDianna,
You need to look into California gun laws a little more deeply. I live here and I know for sure the deal. Check out www.calguns.net if you want to know the truth.

ALL Saigas are not illegal in CA just like all AK's or all ARs. I couldn't tell who made the one in the link. But it has to be listed on the Robert-Rossi list or have a combination of banned features. There are workarounds that are completely legal.
Some Saigas are made by RRA and are not listed. This also goes for many other AK and AR variants. If they are not listed you must have them configured with either a fixed mag (there are kits) or a detachable set up with no banned features like; pistol grips of any kind, folding stocks and flash suppressors.
I have a CA legal AR-15 that I built and have no issues taking to the range or outdoors.
I have been to gun shows in SF where complete ARs and AKs are for sale (usually witout any banned features); so all are not illegal.

Here is a link to the truth; http://calguns.net/a_california_arak.htm

Here in Kali citizens know the law better than the state.

Edited by billym (09/15/07 04:40 AM)

#105715 - 09/15/07 02:59 AM Re: New Rifle. Sagia 7.62x39 AK sporter. [Re: Nomad]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
The possible legal issues are the same issues about having some number of US made parts in an AK to make certain modifications. My understanding is that they come up if you want to put a folding stock or true AK mags into a Saiga. *shrugs* Stupid stuff.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#105718 - 09/15/07 03:04 AM Re: New Rifle. Sagia 7.62x39 AK sporter. [Re: Nomad]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Interesting weapon. My only worry would be that, at least in my experience, the AK system is not well known for it accuracy. Reliability yes, accuracy, no...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.