Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#105779 - 09/15/07 11:38 PM food and shelter in car kit (rations / bivvy bag)?
mgjscdhl Offline
Stranger

Loc: canada
I think it would be a good idea to have a little food in my car kit or bob. I was thinking candies or mints for a quick pick-me-up or some jerky. But got me thinking... The candy would be sugar high not food energy and the shelf life may be sh*t on jerky or could it spoil with heat/moisture?

I've seen a few ration packs online. Would they be a good solution? They do have long shelf live, vacuum sealed, and high in calories.
But I'm at a loss which one(s) would be best. Will they taste good? Should I worry about protein, fat, or other in an emergency situation?? Are some of them individually packed (each cube)?
If someone knows some more about them or someone using them in their car kit, etc.. I'd like to hear from you.

Usually I keep a (I think 50/60%) wool blanket in my car in a sealed overly large bag but wondering if there are any benefits to replacing with a space blanket, or bivvy bag? Should it be a compliment to my car kit or replace my blanket? Also is it worth spending the extra $10+/- on bivvy than an emergency blanket? Winters here in alt. canada can be -15c/-20c so I'm worried about heat reflectiv(ity ?) and effective temp limits.

#105784 - 09/15/07 11:53 PM Re: food and shelter in car kit (rations / bivvy bag)? [Re: mgjscdhl]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Welcome Newguy!!!

We try to keep it simple, mainly canned foods (thick with meat/potato soup, chilli, Spam, etc), with maybe a few MRE's and dehydrated goodies throw in for good measure. A couple of weeks ago we rotated (a little late I will admit) our vehicle food stash, and I tried some Spam and Campbells soups that had been in our vehicle for waaayyyy over a year. Tasted as good as they ever do (if "good" is possible with Spam).

Candies I do not feel are all that great an idea, except for moral purposes, the sugar high you get is short lived, then you crash.

We have some Mainstay rations that are stuck in just for the heck of it, haven't opened them, so I can not comment on their taste, etc...

#105787 - 09/16/07 12:07 AM Re: food and shelter in car kit (rations / bivvy bag)? [Re: mgjscdhl]
gryps Offline
Aspiring Ant

Loc: New Rochelle,NY, USA
You might consider augmenting the blanket with an emergency bivy sack. Given your location, I suspect that additional means of retaining body heat in the winter can't hurt (assuming there is enough space to carry it all). Could be that the wool blanket is more fire/heat resistant than a bivy, if you end up sleeping near a fire. As per food, I have a can of turkey spam and some dehydrated hiking food in my car kit (I carry water in the car when it's warm, and my area tends to have abundant frozen water in the winter (i.e. snow and ice).

#105789 - 09/16/07 12:12 AM Re: food and shelter in car kit (rations / bivvy bag)? [Re: mgjscdhl]
Ors Offline
Namu (Giant Tree)
Addict

Loc: Florida, USA
If you're thinking about the ration packs...Datrex, SOS,...I don't remember all the names right now, buy one to try them and choose the one that meets your storage needs as well as taste. The SOS ones that I'm thinking about actually create saliva in your mouth so you can consume them with little or no water. I think they keep for five years or so. They are very high in fat, but in a survival situation, that's a good thing for long term sustenance. Protein is also a good thing because it makes you feel full which of course can be quite a psychological boost. That and it's good for that life function stuff. Survival situations are NOT the times to be worried about too much fat or whatnot.

For me, I'm a big guy and I'm overweight. I've been told by a nutritionist that I need approximately 2600 calories a day just for normal life function. With the SOS rations, they sell them in different amounts...1200, 2400, 3600 calories, so if you have an idea what your body needs daily, you can plan the amount you carry.

If it were me, I'd keep the blanket as well as add a couple of space blankets and a bivy. Adventure Medical Kits makes a great space blanket and emergency bivy (Heat Sheets is the name for both the blankets and the bivy) Affordable and compact. I have not field tested them personally, but others here have and the results have been pretty good.

Good luck!

#105792 - 09/16/07 12:30 AM Re: food and shelter in car kit (rations / bivvy bag)? [Re: Ors]
eric_2003 Offline
Journeyman

Hi there,

Being from Canada as well, I would have to testify to the wool blanket. Even inside my car, I have found that the space sheet blanket is inadequate in really cold winters. I carry two in my BOB along with a heatsheet blanket but the car has a heavier blanket as well.

As for food in the car, along with the water I have my BOB food (some dehydrated camping food, fruit bars, nut bars) but I think I will add some canner comfort food. I will add some dehydrated soup (lentil, split pea, etc) as well, as it works for comfort food.

In terms of calories, your basal metabolic rate may be that high, but remember for short term situations, the fat in your body will be used to compensate for decreased caloric intake in terms of food. Basal metabolic rate is the calorie expended in a day at rest.

Eric (new guy)

#105793 - 09/16/07 12:38 AM Re: food and shelter in car kit (rations / bivvy bag)? [Re: eric_2003]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Welcome EricNewguy!!!

#105796 - 09/16/07 01:24 AM Re: food and shelter in car kit (rations / bivvy b [Re: mgjscdhl]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Since you already have a good wool blanket in your kit, I would add something like an AMK Heatsheets blanket to it. I specifically say Heatsheets blanket instead of Heatsheets bivy because I feel that the blanket gives you much more versatility. While the bivy is good for sleeping in, the blanket could be used as a make-shift tarp, sun shade, wind break, rain catch, fire reflector, etc. much better than a bivy can.

#105799 - 09/16/07 01:48 AM Re: food and shelter in car kit (rations / bivvy b [Re: JCWohlschlag]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I don't suppose anyone thinks about automobiles in terms of being a large Bug Out Bag? Is your vehicle a big 4wd expedition backpack or a Mini Cooper fanny pack? Forget spaceblankets and buy more wool blankets. A spaceblanket in a car that can hold a quantity of wool blankets is like replacing a battleship with a Dinghy. Do not buy any foods in quantity until actually eating the stuff. If something tastes godawfull or gives you an upset stomach it becomes a PROBLEM and not an asset.

#105802 - 09/16/07 02:12 AM Re: food and shelter in car kit (rations / bivvy b [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
mgjscdhl Offline
Stranger

Loc: canada
thanks for the responses,
And I agree, oldbaldguy. I don't think spam is ever "good", personally I hate the stuff. lol

From what I've been hearing I will keep the blanket. Thinking about it, it's nice to have and now thinking I'll add a bivvy inside the kit. A little redundancy is fine as long as I have the space. Hearing what eric said about the blanket I don't think It a good idea right now to remove it. Also a bivvy doubling as a rain collector or shelter is an win/win.

As for food I will look into the datrex or sos right now, maybee into dehydrated foot... or mre packs. I'm going to try and find out some more info on those brands, see if they have a website.
For now some canned food in there; maybee harty soups, fruit bars, maybee some nature valley bars. I don't know my basal metabolic rate, and I have no idea of my current intake. Would I need higher calories in winter or If I'm not in shape? I would guess that's the case, guessing then having some high calorie food would be good suppliment for those other items??

Couldn't have stated it better... Part of my worries is if it's "godawfull or gives you an upset stomach".. That would suck to be stuck with that if no other sources of food are available. Finding out later that its hard to eat or worse case makes me sick would make survival harder and would be like pissing money away.

Another question, could multi-vitamins, skim milk or energy bars be a good solution?

#105803 - 09/16/07 02:23 AM Re: food and shelter in car kit (rations / bivvy b [Re: mgjscdhl]
CBTENGR Offline

I would also recommend keeping the wool blanket. If it gets wet it can still keep you warm. As far as the food goes you might want to consider if others will be driving or riding in your vehicle. I keep Snickers Marathon bars in the car. They have a lot of protein, 300 calories and taste just like a Snickers bar. Especially great if you have kids. The only down side is that they will melt fairly easily in the heat.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.