Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#105510 - 09/13/07 12:31 PM Interesting find for firestarter, maybe...
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Was over at the Walgreens here a few days back, meandering through the smoking section, where they keep pipe and cigar supplies, along with a good collection of lighters; disposable and refillable butane as well as zippo. Decided to try a refillable butane one made specifically for pipe smokers (being that I am one). It cost around $3.50, and is fairly substantial, being made from cast metal instead of plastic, with a piezo lighter and a venturi nozzle. Let me tell you, that little lighter puts out a heckuva good blue flame. I had to blow full bore on the nozzle to blow the flame out, and I have no doubt it is sufficient output to completely melt a 45 caliber lead slug. You can't do that with any bic lighter!

The thing that I liked most about this little lighter, though, is that the nozzle is set up such that it kicks the flame out at an angle isntead of straight up like most standard butane lighters. The advantage to this is ergonomics, particularly when pointing the muzzle down the bowl of my pipe to light the tobacco. I realized that the ease with which this lighter can be manipulated thus would also serve quite well in lighting a fire, as it is much more suited to casting the flame down and into the base of the tinder pile, and to a sufficient depth to penetrate to the vital center area. How many times I have scorched fingers trying to hold a lighter upside down, waiting for the flame to lick the sides of the lighter enough to ignite the fuel chamber and KaBoom!!!. Not so with this little gem.

Just thought I would let y'all know, them pipe lighters are a pretty good gear option for the price imho.

#105587 - 09/13/07 09:53 PM Re: Interesting find for firestarter, maybe... [Re: benjammin]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Brand?

#105681 - 09/14/07 07:14 PM Re: Interesting find for firestarter, maybe... [Re: Susan]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Forgot to make a note of that one. I'll have to go look again on the way home and let you know. Funny I didn't make a mental note of that since I bought one.

#105706 - 09/15/07 12:13 AM Re: Interesting find for firestarter, maybe... [Re: benjammin]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Ummmm... can't you just look at the one you bought? Or are you justifying another trip to pick up a few extras? (I've never done that... never, never, never... well, hardly ever... well, hardly ever in the same week... or day...) blush

Sue

#105770 - 09/15/07 10:13 PM Re: Interesting find for firestarter, maybe... [Re: Susan]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Nope, I looked the one I got over and over and it has no markings on it as to brand whatsoever...

so I went back to Walgreens and found another one and it took me a couple minutes even then to find the brand on the package. Turns out it is from "NY Elite Brands", some funky importer in Melville NY. Here's there website:

http://www.nyelitebrands.com/

Now I went there and they haven't quite got the site up and running so to speak. Oh well, not too surprised about that one, probably a Chinese made import.

Anyways, in describing the lighter a little better, it actually reminds me of the shape of a saxophone, with the nozzle at the end that looks like the mouthpiece, and the igniter pushbutton atop the bell end. It is heavy cast construction, and it throws a decent venturi blue torch flame out the nozzle. Hey, for less than $4.00 I think it is a pretty good deal.

BTW, it comes in gold or silver tint.

And yes, I picked up some Werther's caramel chews and some Jolly Ranchers and some swirly gummi bears. Yes, I guess I needed another reason to go back. Can't find them swirly gummi bears anywhere else.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.