The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#105341 - 09/11/07 09:39 PM Re: coyotes attack shoppers for grocery [Re: DougM]
handyman Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Massachusetts
I've heard and seen them a few times around here {suburbs about 25 miles east of Boston }. They don't bother me , in fact , I like that they are out there . I've heard some storys about cats disapearing but thats about it . IMO a lot of people are making too much of a big fuss about them .

#105346 - 09/11/07 10:10 PM Re: coyotes attack shoppers for grocery [Re: handyman]
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: handyman
I've heard and seen them a few times around here {suburbs about 25 miles east of Boston }. They don't bother me , in fact , I like that they are out there . I've heard some storys about cats disapearing but thats about it . IMO a lot of people are making too much of a big fuss about them .

People are concerned since a hungry coyote can easily kill a toddler. It takes just one death of a child to instill fear of this animal into people minds.

#105397 - 09/12/07 01:39 PM Re: coyotes attack shoppers for grocery [Re: picard120]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Out in the wastelands of south-central Washington State, I new a few wheat farmers that used to run greyhounds after yotes. Them coyotes knew they were in trouble and would lay their ears back and hit the afterburners, but it was like F-4s chasing Migs in 'nam; it was only a matter of time before them greyhounds caught up to that yote and put him tail over teakettle. Then it was a matter of if you could get up to the intercept sight before the greyhounds had the yote so tore up you couldn't recognize what he was any more.

I talked to one of the farmers about live and let live, and he told me that he thought about that a long time ago, till one of the yotes had taken his momma's poodle out of the backyard. After that, he said the war was on.

It sure is funny how them yotes will hang out on the trail and just watch you drive by, even stand there and watch you stop and open the door and get out, but the moment they see that gun barrel they light out full throttle. They ain't stupid, just hungry.

#105417 - 09/12/07 02:49 PM Re: coyotes attack shoppers for grocery [Re: benjammin]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
I think thats funny about the poodle. They put a small (I'm guessing it wasn't a standard bred poodle) tasty animal all alone in a fenced in yard and then they were surprised that the coyotes ate it.

#105443 - 09/12/07 07:39 PM Re: coyotes attack shoppers for grocery [Re: AROTC]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

I guess the way the story goes is that momma wasn't minding the door like she would normally do and the poodle got out where she wasn't supposed to be and got nailed. Last momma saw was a yote trailing away with the poodle (a mini I am assuming) hanging out of it's mouth. The farmer being the type raised that whatever makes momma unhappy needs to be taken care of, decided that such wouldn't occur again on his watch, ergo the declaration of war ensued. I seen a fair number of pelts tacked up to fence posts and barn doors out in farmland/rangeland. Sheepherders area especially hateful of yotes.

#105479 - 09/13/07 01:31 AM Re: coyotes attack shoppers for grocery [Re: picard120]
frostbite Offline

Loc: TN
Some time ago in Australia a dingo snatched a baby from a tent and disappeared with it. The mother was accused of her murder and spent several years in prison before being cleared. The story made headlines and was made into a movie with Meryl Streep and Sam Neill.

#105685 - 09/14/07 07:59 PM Re: coyotes attack shoppers for grocery [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Spiritwalker Offline

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
"..."my dog's really smart." ..."

Then how come ole Wiley C never got that roadrunner???

But he did!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJJW7EF5aVk

#105689 - 09/14/07 09:49 PM Re: coyotes attack shoppers for grocery [Re: Spiritwalker]
frenchy Offline
Veteran

Loc: France
LOL !!

#105705 - 09/15/07 12:07 AM Re: coyotes attack shoppers for grocery [Re: frenchy]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Isn't it funny how so many humans want their wilderness sterilized and sanitized?

If you don't want your kids and pets eaten by coyotes or wolves or bears, don't leave them where they can get them! Is this too basic?

[WARNING: Rant On]
By the way, do you know how much ranchers are paying to have their livestock destroy OUR PUBLIC lands? They're paying a paltry $1.79 per head per month. For this tiny fee, we get to have the local springs trampled into mudholes, waterways contaminated with feces, timberlands destroyed due to grazing of new trees, grasslands turned to powder due to overgrazing and destruction of the native rodents, destruction of desirable plants/animals and delicate ecosystems, and the destruction of predatory species by the ranchers.

And if that isn't bad enough, but we're also paying something like $300 million in subsidies to let them continue the destruction.

(RANT OFF)

Did you know that when the pioneers moved west in the 1840s, '50s and '60s (etc), they could usually find water at least once every day, enough for the people and all the stock? I'll bet it's not there now, if you happened to need it.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised to find any ETS members who bugged out during/after a disaster to the wilderness lying dead on the ground, dead from a bullet to the head. You would be nothing but competition for water with a Hereford/Angus mix, plus you'd be a source of danger to a walking chunk of meat. I don't think that would be tolerated. (And you think the pot farmers are dangerous?)

Sue

#105776 - 09/15/07 10:34 PM Re: coyotes attack shoppers for grocery [Re: Susan]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Yep, it was a far better environmental solution back in the 70s, when cattlemen built huge feed lots with 10,000 or more head and kept them all cooped up together and fed them processed feed including cotton hulls, molasses, and whatever grain they could get the cheapest.

Mis-managed use of the environment will continue to be a concern as long as we keep allowing people who know nothing about what it takes to conserve the resource to make decisions about how it will be used. Munching tree limbs is bad, but letting the whole forest burn up because they've outlawed logging and even clearing out the debtritous is causing the greatest loss. There's a whole lot of things we could be doing better to conserve habitat and promote the beneficial use of the wilderness. Greed and the ignorant apathy of the electorate condemn us to continue soiling in our own bed.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.